What book did you read today?

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Alladinsane

Re: What book did you read today?

Postby Alladinsane » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:42 pm

That is Greeks siggy I think.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=100638
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
hEarty Too

Postby hEarty Too » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:02 am

Wolfsong wrote:If you like that sort of book, try the Otherland series by Tad Williams.

So, Tad Williams is one of my FAVORITE authors. *nods her head*

I am currently reading Naamah's Blessing by Jacqueline Carey. It is the final book in a series of 3 trilogies and I find it amazing. I think I've read this series at least 20 times since I found it.

If you like sex, intrigue, sex, more intrigue, fantastical history and more sex, then this series is highly recommended. *chuckles* The first book in the Series is Kushiel's Dart.
<joo>: "hEarty burrito" is an anagram of "Eat hyr burrito".
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:22 am

Man, seriously? I picked it up once and just couldn't get more than 50 pages in or so. Admittedly, maybe not my thing, but I found it so boring and repetitive.
hEarty Too

Postby hEarty Too » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:08 am

Yeah, seriously. I haven't been able to get into her other books (mainly cause I haven't really tried) but I can't seem to put this series down.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:07 pm

I am picking up for... I think its the third time:

Man's Search for Meaning
by Victor Frankle.

True story... This man was taken captive by the Nazi's and put into several smaller concentration camps. His pregnant wife was murdered (iirc) and two children as well. He spent untold years naked and starving within those camps until he was finally transferred to Auschwitz. The story is about all of the deprivations he suffered, but it subtly turns into a philosophical text about the ways he mentally had to change to survive.

Some say its one of the ten most important books ever written... just don't jump into it if you are squeamish, these things really happened.

Highly recommended and I have to wait till tomorrow until amazon delivers a fresh copy.
hEarty Too

Postby hEarty Too » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Alladinsane wrote:I am picking up for... I think its the third time:

Man's Search for Meaning
by Victor Frankle.

True story... This man was taken captive by the Nazi's and put into several smaller concentration camps. His pregnant wife was murdered (iirc) and two children as well. He spent untold years naked and starving within those camps until he was finally transferred to Auschwitz. The story is about all of the deprivations he suffered, but it subtly turns into a philosophical text about the ways he mentally had to change to survive.

Some say its one of the ten most important books ever written... just don't jump into it if you are squeamish, these things really happened.

Highly recommended and I have to wait till tomorrow until amazon delivers a fresh copy.

i HAVE to read this!
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:21 pm

hEarty Too wrote:
Alladinsane wrote:I am picking up for... I think its the third time:

Man's Search for Meaning
by Victor Frankle.

i HAVE to read this!

Its not a pleasant book to read... very sad... but I inspires hope at the end. If he can survive that kind of tragedy... heck, there is little in this life that we cannot endure. I'm in such a season myself right now, but I want the girls in the house to read it first. Its not long iirc... less than 200 pages depending on print. But it will knock you over... So many people I went to college with (the first time I read it) said that it "changed their lives". I make no such promises, but its hard to not be a little or alot different when you are done. LQTM... you will find yourself pulling quotes out of it when you or someone you are acquainted with encounters some situations in life. Its very hard to call yourself a victim in comparison to...well...anything.

Pick it up... almost any bookstore will have it, or its about 9 (usa $) on Amazon. I will talk with anyone about it, it has that much impact.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:10 am

The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett
Multiple character viewpoints of a post apocalyptic, but high fantasy, setting.
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:29 am

hEarty Too wrote:If you like sex, intrigue, sex, more intrigue, fantastical history and more sex, then this series is highly recommended. *chuckles* The first book in the Series is Kushiel's Dart.

With so much "action" it can't be all bad. :lol:
Naranjita

Postby Naranjita » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:49 pm

Quite productive long weekend for a compulsive reader. I admit some troubles trying to scape Discworld fantasy lands after two books in a row: "Raisin steam" and "Small gods", I think I missed Sunday's night. :roll: Terry Pratchett was a genious, the more I read, the more I realize he captured every aspect of our society in his books, coated in fantasy and humor. So sad he left us so soon...

Also read "Pedro Páramo" by Juan Rulfo, a short classic of the magic realism which was both extrange and fascinating.

And last, I gave a try to "Man's search for meaning". Wasn't as raw as I expected, though. I liked the way the author wrote the whole experience from a "quiet" perspective, like someone who used it to grow stronger, and I found the sense of volition interesting. The second part, talking of pshychological concepts that might be somewhat old-fashioned today, was a bit dense for me, but anyways worthed it. Now I should detoxify myself from books for some time. They're casting the Kardashians on TV, it's like a sign!
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:11 pm

I always avoided Pratchett when I was younger because I thought his books were juvenile. Silly me. I've read up to Jingo on the City Guard arc, and Mort, over the last few years. He was frankly an amazing author.
Naranjita

Postby Naranjita » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:54 pm

Just finished reading the Anabasis (The March of the Ten Thousand) by Xenophon. Eyes extremely dry from reading on the phone almost all last night. Despite this, and the amount of weird measure units I had to google in the first third of the book, at the end I liked it! I expected a different thing, though. It's like... less epic and more retoric? Anyway, it's amazing being able to be in the mind of someone from more than twenty centuries ago.
Last edited by Naranjita on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:29 am

Children of Time.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:43 am

I'm reading this small book I found in the library. It's called, "How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe" by Charles Yu.

It's about the author as a depressed young man who lives in a time travel machine while making a meager living rescuing other wayward time travelers who are (futilely) trying to change the past. Yu is hiding in time from the unhappiness of his childhood and also hoping to find his father (who invented time travel) and who seems to have gotten lost in time. One day, he receives a book delivered by his future self called, "How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe" written by Charles Yu which might contain the key to finding his father and might save his life.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:44 pm

That sounds great! *throws another book on the to-read pile*
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”