What graphics card to get?

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

*Wiro

What graphics card to get?

Postby *Wiro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:26 pm

I recently got my hands on a second-hand computer and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading it to a better graphics card. The link below has all the details of the computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 59884#N304

I wanted to buy a ~150$ graphics card to put in the PCI express 16x slot, but I have no idea which one to get (or if it'll even fit). I was thinking about something from the AMD Radeon series because I've seen that name come up often, but I'm not sure if it would even work for this computer.

Any help is appreciated.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Optimus Christ

Re: What graphics card to get?

Postby Optimus Christ » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:45 pm

*Wiro wrote:I recently got my hands on a second-hand computer and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth upgrading it to a better graphics card. The link below has all the details of the computer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 59884#N304

I wanted to buy a ~150$ graphics card to put in the PCI express 16x slot, but I have no idea which one to get (or if it'll even fit). I was thinking about something from the AMD Radeon series because I've seen that name come up often, but I'm not sure if it would even work for this computer.

Any help is appreciated.

I can take a look at it once I get home, and then give you suggestions. Question however, what do you plan on using your computer for?
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:00 pm

That'd be really great! Thanks a lot.

I wanted to play the new Dragon Age Inquisition game, but more importantly I want to be able to play Skyrim without any issues. I plan to use a large amount of mods. I could probably stretch my budget to $200 dollar if need be.

My biggest worry is that the graphics card might not be a right fit for the slot or something similar.
Calyx

Postby Calyx » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:07 pm

AMD are a solid choice.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gam ... 107-3.html

Edit: Updated my link!
Last edited by Calyx on Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

((( We loved with a love that was more than love. )))
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:13 pm

I've read a lot about the graphics cards on the market but my biggest issue is that I have no idea whether they are good for my computer. I don't know the difference between the 1.0 and 3.0 slots and cards (or which one my computer has).
Calyx

Postby Calyx » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:27 pm

Every time the PCIe version goes up it effectively doubles the bandwidth... 1.1= 2GB/s > 2= 4GB/s > 3= 8GB/s

Your PC has a PCIe 2.0 slot (link) but only a 300W PSU, so you may have to upgrade that to a 400W (ATX) to run a better card (PCIe 2/3 port shouldn't add any more than 75W load)...

In theory it can run one of these, but maybe someone else will know more...
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclock-D ... pd_cp_pc_0
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

((( We loved with a love that was more than love. )))
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:37 pm

With it being a micro motherboard, size might also be a factor. Looking at the pic of the board, a larger sized card might brush up against the clips on the RAM slots and the 24 pin power slot. This is just from eyeballing it and you might have enough room, but it is something to consider.

Also of note, medium to high end graphics cards will probably require two 6 pin plugs from the PSU, so you will need to make sure the one you have supports that, not to mention the added power draw from a dedicated card. Getting a low end card to play Dragon Age Inquisition would be a waste of time and money as it would likely not be close to playable.
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Mon May 25, 2015 11:56 pm

Getting a new graphics card to play cantr? You need a pretty advanced ones. These awesome graphics kill my computer.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue May 26, 2015 12:06 am

I'm still clueless on these things. Practically every related term is unknown to me.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Tue May 26, 2015 2:52 am

JsWill wrote:Getting a new graphics card to play cantr? You need a pretty advanced ones. These awesome graphics kill my computer.

I think my sarcasm detector just went off. :idea:
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”