Stanislavski vs Brecht in tabletop roleplaying

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Stanislavski vs Brecht in tabletop roleplaying

Postby SekoETC » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Link to read:

http://lookrobot.co.uk/2013/06/23/stani ... leplaying/

This article came up in FTO chatroom. Basically the message is that it's better to think "This is what I want my character to do" rather than "This is what my character would do". Because sometimes it's better to include other people even if you could do something alone. Do what ever makes a good story, rather than what's the easiest way to do things.
Not-so-sad panda
*Wiro

Re: Stanislavski vs Brecht in tabletop roleplaying

Postby *Wiro » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:07 pm

I think it's important to differentiate between "my character won't do this" and "my character wouldn't like doing this". They seem to be used interchangeably in the article, but to me they are entirely different things. In the end the latter does translate to "this is what I want my character to do", but not because the character likes it. In other words, you don't have to change your character in order to make a story happen. Just let the character be themselves even if the situation/decision isn't entirely his own.

In the end it all just comes down to the fact that most players feel (perhaps with good reason) that their character is the main character of a story. Sidekicks and background characters are unfortunately way under-appreciated.

Edit: something I often think about when travelling is that there are many times when you can take two different roads to get where you want to go. This is a decision usually made oocly, as to your character it doesn't matter. Yet many of us know which roads have the most interesting towns. It would be a CRB, I suppose, to pick the one you know is more fun. But a fair decision is impossible to make.
Read about my characters by following this link.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”