Still using XP?

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Are you using XP for your Operating System on at least one computer?

Yes
19%
No
81%

Total votes: 26
Cdls

Still using XP?

Postby Cdls » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:19 pm

This is more a curiosity based question. Even with MS dropping support for the OS, many users and businesses have stuck with it. How many Cantrians have done the same?
Majix

Re: Still using XP?

Postby Majix » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:44 pm

Cdls wrote:This is more a curiosity based question. Even with MS dropping support for the OS, many users and businesses have stuck with it. How many Cantrians have done the same?

It's not only the support, afaik, it's a matter of security updates as well and I hope it's not very many business that still has it. At my work we sure have changed. At home I have Windows 7. Also.
Xander

Postby Xander » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:54 pm

My work laptop uses Windows 7, but I mainly use a Chromebook for non-work purposes.
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:07 pm

Majix wrote:and I hope it's not very many business that still has it.

The numbers are basically somewhere between 25%-40% of polled PC users still running XP. This includes within the business market as well. ATM's run on XP, although they are pretty well locked down. A lot of the 'older' crowd seem to be stuck on XP as well.

I only run XP on a VM for programs that don't work well on the recent OS's.
Aurora

Postby Aurora » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:41 pm

I still have XP on my computer, though my technician told me as soon as I like to, he'll change the OS to Windows 7 or 8. I am not sure if that's what I want, but I don't know the difference between different OS.
Into the darkness you shine
Out of the ashes we rise
There's no one like you
None like you!
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:42 pm

I have Windows 7 and I've heard Windows 8 sucks if you don't have touch screen.
Not-so-sad panda
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:03 pm

I don't have a touch screen and like Windows 8 quite a bit. I also like Windows 7.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:24 am

I know a person that wishes he could go back to Windows 7 from Windows 8, so I plan on hanging onto 7 for as long as humanly possible. I really haven't heard anything good about it. It's not designed as a desktop OS.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Otherside

Postby Otherside » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:55 am

Avoid Windows h8!

But Windows 8.1 is lovely.. Especially of you like all your social stuff in one place. You get used to it without a touch-screen, dancing between the screens with the Windows key can be a very nice way to work...

But I still use 7 whilst at work...
You speak in every curling wave and sing in every violent breeze.
kicking jay

Postby kicking jay » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:59 pm

Hell naw. I ditched XP for the Ubuntu family years ago. Hopefully I'll have time to built myself an Arch over the summer, instead of trying to keep my aging hardware alive.
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:52 pm

kicking jay wrote:Hell naw. I ditched XP for the Ubuntu family years ago. Hopefully I'll have time to built myself an Arch over the summer, instead of trying to keep my aging hardware alive.

I wish I could do that, but I'm addicted to Photoshop. My backup computer is xp, but I'm finding 7 to be pretty much the same. I wouldn't pay to upgrade, but I don't mind having it. I've seen how 8 works. I'd stick with 3.1 if that was the only way to avoid 8.
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:53 pm

A lot of the hate for 8 is the radical changes made to the UI. Once you get used to it and learn the hotkeys, it is quite an easy OS to use. That being said, I have no idea wtf their UI designer was thinking with such a change, most users hate change and they went balls out with it.

Currently my dekstop is 8.1 with a dual boot option to an Ubuntu recovery partition.

Laptop: 7 and Ubuntu

Netbook: 8 and 7
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:07 pm

I have an ancient PC that still runs W95. :shock:

...and a new one for daily use.
I think ...
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:51 pm

I have it on good authority that the Comcast corporation is still running it's virtual on-demand service off of Windows 3.1 servers.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Tue May 13, 2014 1:12 am

My last computer with XP became full of viruses and crap and it doesn't work anymore. which is too bad because I loved XP.
I have a netbook with 7. I like it okay.
My laptop is 8 and has a touchscreen, and I really like it. The only thing is I don't have a numerical keypad (but that's not really a change) and I can't run some old programs on it either because the OS doesn't support that software/coding anymore. Also I wish I could turn the screen around and use it like a tablet, but that's not a huge issue for me and that's also hardware related. I'm reluctant to upgrade to 8.1 though I've heard good things about it.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”