Mobile Cantr

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SumBum

Mobile Cantr

Postby SumBum » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:40 am

I was going to post this as a rant, but figured it might be worth having as a separate topic.

I'm being pressured by my job to upgrade from a "dumb" phone. Yes, I'm letting Cantr play a large role in my decision. :) I've heard that Android handles Cantr pretty well and that Apple does not. True? Any other input on a particular OS or phone model? It's got to work with AT&T and fit in a back pocket - those are my requirements.

Thanks in advance for your assistance! (so corporate of me to say that)
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Re: Mobile Cantr

Postby Bmot » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:45 am

My ex-girlfriend's Cantr worked pretty well on a Nokia Windows Phone...
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:51 am

I have had no issues accessing Cantr from any of my Android products. I do recommend using the Dolphin browser though, as it does text reflow quite well with Cantr.
Rugila

Postby Rugila » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:28 am

I use Nokia windows phone, Lumia 800 myself.
Cantr works very smoothly! :D
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Andriod using Chrome and no issues at all.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:44 pm

Thanks for the input! I don't know why I'm dreading this so much but I'll have to do some shopping this week.
Reaction

Postby Reaction » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:18 pm

Also an android user, and at times had to play exclusively from my phone.
I found it was hell on my blackberry, but that was long enough ago that it might not be an issue anymore? I'm never happy when I borrow an iphone to check, the proportions always seem to be off somehow, and it doesn't want to cooperate with me.
I'm using an older android phone, an HTC raider. I love it, though the battery life leaves something to be desired.

Just have to say, screen size does matter. Catching up on characters looks like a lot more work, and there have been times I was too discouraged by a glance at it to bother trying, only to open the same events later on a computer and find it amounted to nothing at all, really.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:35 am

Yeah, I have a samsung galaxy III and I'd be pretty put off if the screen was any smaller than that. I still can't really type and see the event text at the same time.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
saztronic

Postby saztronic » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:03 am

I use an iPhone for work and have no trouble cantring on it for the most part, but have to disable the autocorrect or can get some f'ed up words and punctuation. I'd prefer to have a Samsung just for the bigger screen.
I kill threads. It's what I do.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:59 am

If you're willing to go bigger than your back pocket, I highly recommend getting a phone with a slide-out keyboard... seriously! The text on Cantr is so small and if you pull up the onscreen keyboard it almost hides everything. I like to be able to see what I'm typing.

I've always used Cantr on an Android with the standard browser and I've never had a problem with it. It does take up battery though. Or maybe that's because my phone is kind of old now (by smartphone standards, at least).
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Playing Cantr on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is almost as easy and seamless as playing it on my computer, and I'd say at least as good as playing it on my Nexus 7 tablet. As has been said, screen size matters a lot, and the stylus of the Note 3 makes swiping through words much faster than using my finger was on my last phone (a Samsung Galaxy S3). Word recognition can still be a PITA, especially with odd names - which is why I prefer my laptop - but I gotta say I have no complaints with how Cantr performs on my mobile devices. Complaints I would have center around the mobile device itself.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:43 am

Got a Sony Z1 Compact recently, my only complaint here is that the typing square thingy (how do you call that?) overlaps with the first line of text of the events, or with the events page filters. Typing and stuff goes quite fine for me :)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:24 pm

I keep meaning to update this and at least say thanks for all the input. I ended up with an HTC mini, Android and it works really well with Cantr so far!
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:32 pm

Just don't be the person saying "[OOC: Sorry I'm on my phone]" all the time. (Not that you would...probably.) I've bumped into a fair number of people who kept messing up their roleplay and then apologizing for it, sometimes multiple times a day.

I play on my samsung s3 from time to time when away from home, though for the most part I just use it to perform basic actions (change project etc) and to catch up while travelling. Roleplay is always better quality when I do it at home.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 pm

I use a G2 and I can keep well when I don't have so much going on around me ,at first I was extremely slow but now I am more capable.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”