Cantria - an original work of fiction

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Re: Cantria - an original work of fiction

Postby Bmot » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:54 pm

:D
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Marian

Postby Marian » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Well I just went and read everything you had so far...my initial impression was something like, 'Horse riding? In Cantr? What is this nonsense!?" but then I kept reading and it was really really good. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing if/how you explain the sleeping sickness, and I saw in the comments you had something in mind for small populations.

I'll make an account later and give it a good rating or however that works there...also did some insufferable ditz seriously leave a 'tl:dr' comment or was that someone from here making a joke?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:56 pm

I eyed through the prologue and couldn't concentrate at all. I was like is this Noniwrok? That kills it for me. For some reason I assumed it would be Shai island.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 am

Only the prologue is based on Noniwrok. The rest of the story is based upon the Naron/Lad area. I'll be posting my area map next weekend.

I don't even know what tl:dr means, so I just ignored it.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Marian

Postby Marian » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:30 am

too long: didn't read

cuz I clicked ona story n then I wuz like DAMN, theres all these words n stuff, lol
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:49 am

Probably would have taken less time to read it than post that reply, if you include the time spent clicking and the page loads.

Regarding length, it's nearly 200k words, so I could easily post 2x per week and keep you all entertained for a while. Would you guys like that, or do you want me to keep it once a week?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:52 am

Oh, and I found it really amusing that the first person to like the story was a non-cantrian who's gallery is page after page of naked selfies. I thought, "Oh geez, I make my first foray into novel writing, and my first fan is going to wind up stalking me."
Marian

Postby Marian » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:44 am

Doug, I hate to say it but Deviantart is mostly for people who get off to depictions of anthromorphic wolves having sex with cheetahs, your story contains neither of those and is actually good so just wait for my tax return to come in and I'll happily buy you a membership here instead.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:36 am

Haha, thanks. The reason I haven't gone to a site like that is that you usually need to give feedback to get it, and I simply don't have time for that. Also, this thing is over 5 years old, and at this point, I'm not really looking for critique, because I really don't plan on changing it. It is what it is, and people either like it or they don't. Now, if I was starting a new story, sure, I could use something like that. How much is it? I didn't see pricing info.
Marian

Postby Marian » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:59 am

Doug R. wrote:Haha, thanks. The reason I haven't gone to a site like that is that you usually need to give feedback to get it, and I simply don't have time for that. Also, this thing is over 5 years old, and at this point, I'm not really looking for critique, because I really don't plan on changing it. It is what it is, and people either like it or they don't. Now, if I was starting a new story, sure, I could use something like that. How much is it? I didn't see pricing info.

Well it's free to join just to read and review but to post your own stuff, the best deal is the two year membership at $67...kind of pricey maybe with all the free sites out there but it only works out to a couple dollars a month, and if you're interested in writing in general IMO it's one of the best sites out there. You still get some people who give 'driveby' fluff reviews but there are invite only workshops for serious critiques, and the site-sponsored contests give away $100 prizes pretty regularly, with a $100 dollar 'reviewer of the month' prize too.

I'm not into it as much as I used to be because yeah, you do have to write a lot of reviews to be able to promote your own stuff unless you're willing to pay out again in real money. Basically how it works is you get paid in member dollars or cents every time you write a review, and you use those to buy certificates that you attach to your own stories to get them up at the top of the list and paying out mad (fake) cash so people will keep giving you feedback once the 'just released' status wears off.

It's a pretty cool site with a good community but I'm going to stop now because it sounds like they're paying me for advertising. (Though IMO it was better back in the day before it got big when it was mostly just fantasy and science fiction, and the owner would hang out on the forum and post his Everquest fanfic... :lol:)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:04 am

Cool, thanks for the showing it to me. I'll keep it in mind for the future.
saztronic

Postby saztronic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:48 am

Marian wrote:I hate to say it but Deviantart is mostly for people who get off to depictions of anthromorphic wolves having sex with cheetahs,

Boy, you put up ONE post of yourself in wolf suit with a cheetah, and people never let you forget.

And everybody takes the cheetah's side, too.
I kill threads. It's what I do.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:00 pm

Doug R. wrote:Probably would have taken less time to read it than post that reply, if you include the time spent clicking and the page loads.

Regarding length, it's nearly 200k words, so I could easily post 2x per week and keep you all entertained for a while. Would you guys like that, or do you want me to keep it once a week?

If it's my choice, faster is better :)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Marian

Postby Marian » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:14 am

How do you actually post a story on that site, all I see are options for art or journals.

I've got hundreds of pages of hot wolf-on-cheetah action the world needs to see.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:30 am

Click the "submit art" thingie, and there will be an option to input text.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”