Hotel advise

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

freiana

Hotel advise

Postby freiana » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:55 pm

Okay, I need some advise here (read: AAAAAAHHGHR! HELP!). Currently we're staying in New York on a great location but in a hotel where the room is pretty much literally slowly falling down on us, while the cockroaches are trying to carry us out of our room (and we're starting to wonder if the personnel here is force-feeding them to have them carry off all those annoying visitors that keep walking in on their job). So, we're looking for something else, but are not sure what is a wise choice. Is there anyone that lives in or has been to a trip to New York City and can recommend a good hotel for a family of 5? Any tips at all would be great!
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
SekoETC

Re: Hotel advise

Postby SekoETC » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:53 pm

We stayed at Best Western Kennedy Airport, nothing to complain about there. They had a shared tiny breakfast area for the floor, with lots of different kinds of breakfast food available. I found it weird that they even had donuts, although I was able to resist the temptation of eating one. Who the heck eats glazed donuts in the morning?
Not-so-sad panda
ManyVoices

Postby ManyVoices » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:55 pm

That's a staple of the American Hotel breakfast! That the joy of the American Hotel breakfast! :D

Donuts for breakfast! Yummy!
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:10 pm

SekoETC wrote:Who the heck eats glazed donuts in the morning?

Lots of Americans do. Have you seen the lines in the drive-thrus at Dunkin Donuts in the early morning? :shock:

It's funny that we pretty much reserve all other types of fried dough for the afternoon though. (I'd say desserts, but in some restaurants in New Mexico they have baskets of sopapillas and honey on the table the way Olive Garden has breadsticks.)

I was in New York for about half an hour once, on Liberty Island or whatever that island is called with the Statue of Liberty on it. I can't give hotel recommendations.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:31 pm

You'll pretty much be fine in any chain hotel, I would imagine. Unless, of course, you're staying in one now.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
freiana

Postby freiana » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:54 am

Yeah, we are in a chain hotel, same one we stayed in before but over here it's just terrible. Apparently my father doesn't want to stay anywhere further away from the centre, so probably we're stuck here for a while. So, please excuse me while I go fend off some cockroaches xD
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:12 pm

Please tell us where you're staying so we never stay there! Better wait until you leave, though, so I don't stalk you. :twisted:
freiana

Postby freiana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:44 am

XD I'll let you know tomorrow, we're moving to another hotel then. The official message concerning our war with the cockroaches is that we are not retreating, bit advancing in the other direction. XD
freiana

Postby freiana » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:06 pm

So, for the warning: We were staying in hotel Pennsylvania. My father -said- it was from a chain hotel but apparently it isn't. Anyway, we're moving to the Hilton starting this evening. Goodbye, cockroaches! And for every sane person on the forum: DO NOT GO TO HOTEL PENNSYLVANIA!
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 pm

It's kind of hit or miss based on the name, some of these hotel names are franchised and owned by many people. We stayed at a Ramada Inn in Chattanooga, Tennessee once and it was the nastiest hotel I've ever stayed in. I found a crack pipe under my bed sheets, which led me to demand another room which didn't have running water and a 3rd was fine except for the annoying smell of marijuana coming from the adjoining room. Oh, and fleas too. The staff was rude and it was obvious it was a slum hotel for hookers, pimps and drug dealers. I called to complain because Ramada is a big name in the industry and that's when I found out they were selling their name out to pretty much anybody. My guess is it's not the only hotel company that does this.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:07 am

Ok, avoid Ramada also!

I typically stay in Holiday Inns, and never have issues.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:17 pm

ManyVoices wrote:That's a staple of the American Hotel breakfast! That the joy of the American Hotel breakfast! :D

Donuts for breakfast! Yummy!

Slightly off-topic, but... I had a colleague from the UK who always had Dutch Waffles with LOTS of maple syrup on, EVERY morning, while we were stationed in Long Island, NY. It sickened me so I could hardly get my own bowl of all-bran and yogurt down. :D

Something like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EOn4xgBawcw/T ... +large.jpg

And with maple syrup so much it flowed over the edges.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:38 pm

One time we went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast and I got pancakes with maple syrup, but I could only eat like one of them before getting full. The maple syrup was in a tiny glass bottle. I think I took it as a souvenir but I don't remember what happened to it, so maybe I was just thinking about doing it instead of actually doing it.
Not-so-sad panda
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:59 pm

That's deliciious, Echoman. If I could eat that every morning and not become obese, I would!
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:57 pm

That amount of sugar would probably kill me within 15 minutes of finishing that ... thing. :)

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”