Interesting quotes

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

JsWill

Interesting quotes

Postby JsWill » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:45 am

They can be from fortune cookies or anything really, but just go ahead and put interesting quotes that you like down so everyone can read them!

"It is too late to start digging a well when you feel thirsty." -Fortune Cookie

"Be slow in choosing your friends, be even slower in changing them." -Scottish proverb.. I believe, that's what I was told anyway...

"You're the product of over a million years of successful evolutionary development, SO ACT LIKE IT!"

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -George Washington

"Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty." -George Washington

I threw that last quote in there for Americans who still think a large military force is a good idea... But lets stay on topic, even if I have trouble doing that. :P

Show me some of your quotes that you were interested by.
NostalgicMelody7

Re: Interesting quotes

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:31 pm

It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons. ~Johann Schiller

And, of course, one of my -personal- favorites...

"When two men are fighting and the wife of one of them intervenes to drag her husband clear of his opponent, if she puts out her hand and catches hold of the man by his privates, you must cut off her hand and show her no mercy." ~Deuteronomy 25:11, The Bible :3
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:34 pm

Such a peaceful book :P
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:47 pm

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." - Stephen King

"When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off." -also Stephen King

"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H. P. Lovecraft

"And there never was an apple, in Adam's opinion, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it." - Neil Gaiman

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."

Those are a couple of my favourites! :D
"Shadow heard himself laugh, over the sound of the music. He was happy...He was going around and around and around again...
Then the lights went out, and Shadow saw the gods."
-Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"
NancyLee

Postby NancyLee » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:52 pm

Nietzsche!! That quote was basically the motto of one of my old charries, Dingo :D

I get easily trapped sometimes in some quotes and can have them echoing in my head for days. Not necessarily inspirational. Not necessarily beautiful.

Louis CK wrote:‘I'm bored’ is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you've seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless; it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you're alive is amazing, so you don't get to say ‘I'm bored.’

Anais Nïn wrote:I am an excitable person who only understands life lyrically, musically, in whom feelings are much stronger as reason. I am so thirsty for the marvelous that only the marvelous has power over me. Anything I can not transform into something marvelous, I let go. Reality doesn't impress me. I only believe in intoxication, in ecstasy, and when ordinary life shackles me, I escape, one way or another. No more walls.

Marya Hornbacher wrote:There is, in fact, an incredible freedom in having nothing left to lose.

Marya Hornbacher wrote:You wake up one morning and there it is, sitting in an old plaid bathrobe in your kitchen, unpleasant and unshaved. You look at it, heart sinking. Madness is a rotten guest.

Bessie Anderson Stanley wrote:To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children; to earn the approbation of honest citizens and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to give of one’s self; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived—this is to have succeeded.
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 pm

NancyLee wrote:
Louis CK wrote:‘I'm bored’ is a useless thing to say. I mean, you live in a great, big, vast world that you've seen none percent of. Even the inside of your own mind is endless; it goes on forever, inwardly, do you understand? The fact that you're alive is amazing, so you don't get to say ‘I'm bored.’

That's another of my favourites! And you have to love Nietzche! Such a classic.
"Shadow heard himself laugh, over the sound of the music. He was happy...He was going around and around and around again...
Then the lights went out, and Shadow saw the gods."
-Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:22 am

Everyone who generalizes, is an idiot!

:lol:
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
Pat Riley
~

“But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here.”

“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

“She generally gave herself very good advice (though she very seldom followed it).”

“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”