Does Julian Assange play Cantr?

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

joo

Re: Does Julian Assange play Cantr?

Postby joo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:41 pm

I hope some of you are trolling and that the grip your government has on your minds isn't that tight. I recommend, when thinking about something like this, to imagine yourself born in a country far away from the United States or any other country that's involved, then apply rational thought, and use that as the basis of your opinion.
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:16 pm

EchoMan wrote:
Doug R. wrote:I couldn't give a crap about corporate leaks, but when leaks put lives at risk, like Wikileaks has done, that's inexcusable. Honestly, the US soldier charged with leaking all this stuff should be charged with treason, not mishandling classified information.
do you think Assange plays Cantr?

This is a serious question? The man moves from one undisclosed location to another out of fear for his life (and of the authorities who want to arrest him for the women he's raped).

He's using a proxy silly. :mrgreen:

Or he is like President John Henry Eden.
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:14 am

_Slayer wrote:That's borderline offensive, but thank god for a sense of humor. Kill a commie for mommy, do people say that still?

Now we can off-topic, yay. So... better death than commie ;) And yes, borderline is not paranoid schizophrenia also ;P
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
Missy

Postby Missy » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:33 pm

berserk9779 wrote:
And I don't see why anyone should give a crap about the lives of volunteer soldiers fighting an illegal war.
They wanted to be there, are trained to be there and get paid very very well for risking their life.

I'm deeply offended by your statement. That's almost all I can be bothered to say.
I hate people.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:51 am

I kind of agree with the statement about soldiers.

A non-conscripted soldier is just like an office worker, or a cashier, etc. He accepted the terms of his job for money, or personal goals. Why should they receive any more respect or attention than anyone else?

Now, conscripted soldiers are a different story, they are not there by their choosing, they are most likely serving because of an immediate danger as well.
Diego

Postby Diego » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:59 am

Ryaga wrote:I kind of agree with the statement about soldiers.

A non-conscripted soldier is just like an office worker, or a cashier, etc. He accepted the terms of his job for money, or personal goals. Why should they receive any more respect or attention than anyone else?

Now, conscripted soldiers are a different story, they are not there by their choosing, they are most likely serving because of an immediate danger as well.
Presumably, they might receive more respect because regardless of their motivations or intentions when accepting the job of being soldiers, the principles that lead them to that decision are strong enough for them to directly and significantly put their lives on the line for them. This shows an admirable level of committment.

Now, since the intentions of an anonymous soldier can in some cases be identical to those of, say, a bounty-hunter, security guard or mercenary, the amount of respect the mere position of "soldier" deserves should be identical to those. Assuming one assigns respect following strictly rational guidelines, which often isn't the case--respect for soldiers is more an emotional association to selfless protection of the public than anything else (not unlike police officers).
Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:08 am

Diego wrote:
Ryaga wrote:I kind of agree with the statement about soldiers.

Presumably, they might receive more respect because regardless of their motivations or intentions when accepting the job of being soldiers, the principles that lead them to that decision are strong enough for them to directly and significantly put their lives on the line for them. This shows an admirable level of committment.

Now, since the intentions of an anonymous soldier can in some cases be identical to those of, say, a bounty-hunter, security guard or mercenary, the amount of respect the mere position of "soldier" deserves should be identical to those. Assuming one assigns respect following strictly rational guidelines, which often isn't the case--respect for soldiers is more an emotional association to selfless protection of the public than anything else (not unlike police officers).

In a perfect world people do things selflessly, but not in real life. These men put their lives on the line for the benefits of doing it, I'd say the average soldier would do it for money, education, and the admiration from others because of their ideals. Which is very very far from selfless. Not even police officers get the kind of respect soldiers get from certain people, and I'd say they do more to contribute than most soliders, since police officers perform domestic duty.

Not to mention there are plenty of domestic jobs that are performed for government and other projects that contribute to most people's lives as much as soldiers do, and are dangerous as well.
Diego

Postby Diego » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:19 am

In a perfect world, NOTHING would be done selflessly, you commie. And you're arguing based on some sort of Utilitarian measurement of the value of the soldier's duty--the respect comes rarely from people doing analysis of gain or loss of utility versus risk, but rather, from those who would be hard-pressed to put their own lives at risk for any reason (and perhaps those who would only risk their lives for considerable benefits [i.e. those offered to a mercenary] rather than the comparatively inferior perks and salaries of a soldier, considering there to be an implicit nobility in the act, serving their country for less dough than private contractors).

It's not difficult to see why it's a professional career that leaves many in awe, simply due to the demands and implications of the job.
Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:25 pm

I agree that in a perfect world, people would do things selflessly to benefit others. However, if that were the case there'd be no war. So this obviously isn't a perfect world. I wouldn't go as far as to say I "don't give a crap about their lives", but I do agree that soldiers are well compensated for what they do and know the risks of enlisting. Granted, I believe there were a lot of people who went into the armed for forces as to have their education provided for free. They are now finding they may have to pay a much larger cost than they expected. I don't really feel bad for those people, but I still respect each soldier who fights for their country.
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:57 pm

You do realize that if anyone uses the information published by WikiLeaks, that would be a CRB, right?
Surly

Postby Surly » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:52 pm

gejyspa wrote:You do realize that if anyone uses the information published by WikiLeaks, that would be a CRB, right?
:lol:
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
Eleiris

Postby Eleiris » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:16 am

Forgive me for being... naive? ignorant..?
Anyway...
Is "commie" an insult? As in, if you defend one or more principles of communism you are... what..?
I understand there was a huge anti-communist campaign in the US during the cold war, (I understand more than that, but I would deviate from the subject) is it still this way?
What makes a person a "commie"? Why is it bad? Or worse than being a "cappie"... :P
I would like some serious first world explanations on this. I'm truly bewildered...

(PD: I'm not communist, for whatever matters)
Rescatemos nuestro oro mis valientes. ¡Con coraje!¡Con la espada! ...con los dientes.
¡Mi honra está en juego, y de aquí, no me muevo!
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:28 am

I have no idea where people seem to be getting the idea that soldiers are well-paid. A newly minted private makes $1447.20 a month. Try raising a family on that.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Gran

Postby Gran » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:28 am

Ryaga wrote:In a perfect world people do things selflessly
Who told you that in a perfect world people would exist at all?

I keep thinking WikiLeaks is a gambit, that someone unknown is being benefited by it. Collateral damage or benefit to the public is just that, collateral. Overall, it's such a deep tarpit I cannot even see what's the point of it nor I can justify.
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:51 am

Eleiris wrote:Why is it bad?

Maybe because communist regimes killed or maked their life as tragedy for more or the same people by some sources as fascist regimes. But still most of people think that communist is better than fascist.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”