I write like...

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

caged_bird_sings

Re: I write like...

Postby caged_bird_sings » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:16 pm

Really? It's too bad, you could've prepared and eaten Irish babies in a myriad of ways by now. :lol: (Refer to A Modest Proposal, those of you who now think me a deranged tyrant)
And all that is now
And all that is gone
And all that's to come
And everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:25 am

James Joyce

Used an email I wrote yesterday expressing emotions.

James Joyce, using a personal message to someone very special

Hey, I studied James Joyce in high school! And yep, that describes him.

Arenti wrote:I like to read books about fantasy worlds like with dwarfs and such. Though also other type of fantasy books.

Hey, me too! Then again, we both play Runescape..I even read the Runescape novel, and enjoyed it (although the writing was pretty cheesy).

Oh but this or maybe This Dan Brown?

<.<

>.>

ok yeah feel free to ignore this...I'm in a strange place right now...too much youtube...not enough sleep...I blame Cantr being down *nods*

Yes! Someone else knows Pogobat! I was a pretty big fan of his, though I stopped paying attention to his videos, because he started putting up video blogs every day..it got boring fast for me.

Now:
From a Cantr advertisement description I wrote: Cory Doctorow
A decently long history note I made in Cantr: J.R.R. Tolkien
From another history note/journal (so it doesn't flow well): Mario Puzo
From an essay I wrote on happiness: H.P. Lovecraft
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 pm

An essay I wrote on music that can be found here: H.P. Lovecraft
A really long, random dream I had involving a possessed hospitals and brain-hungry jellyfish: H. G. Wells
Another random dream I had involving the same characters and some illness: Kurt Vonnegut
Taralyn

Postby Taralyn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:11 pm

I got H.P Lovecraft twice, both for essays.
This is part of what I put in:

The most obvious challenges to students with hearing loss relate to communication and language development, this includes the development of written language. Children with normal hearing acquire spoken language through a process of immersion, they are constantly surrounded by examples of language which they absorb and imitate (Jones, 1996). At the same time they are learning the grammatical rules that apply to written language. Students who are pre- lingualy deaf do not have this experience (Heward, 2008) and for them, decoding the written word is likely to be very difficult. It is important for teachers to find ways to teach literacy effectively to deaf students as poor literacy skills impact all other areas of learning (Jones, 1996). Some students will need an adapted curriculum and lesson plans should be flexible enough to include options for differing abilities. It is a good idea for educators to keep up to date with research on hearing impairment and teaching strategies (Eggan & Kauchack, 2009).

I don't think I have read anything by H.P Lovecraft, but I'm assuming the way he writes mimics more formal writing in terms of grammar and sentence length?
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:30 pm

I write like
Stephen King

3 times, all assignments I wrote...

Comically, the advertisement "How to be a better writer" came up to the right of the page. Better than a million-sold-copies writer... Lol.
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:52 pm

Taralyn wrote:I got H.P Lovecraft twice, both for essays.
This is part of what I put in:

The most obvious challenges to students with hearing loss relate to communication and language development, this includes the development of written language. Children with normal hearing acquire spoken language through a process of immersion, they are constantly surrounded by examples of language which they absorb and imitate (Jones, 1996). At the same time they are learning the grammatical rules that apply to written language. Students who are pre- lingualy deaf do not have this experience (Heward, 2008) and for them, decoding the written word is likely to be very difficult. It is important for teachers to find ways to teach literacy effectively to deaf students as poor literacy skills impact all other areas of learning (Jones, 1996). Some students will need an adapted curriculum and lesson plans should be flexible enough to include options for differing abilities. It is a good idea for educators to keep up to date with research on hearing impairment and teaching strategies (Eggan & Kauchack, 2009).

I don't think I have read anything by H.P Lovecraft, but I'm assuming the way he writes mimics more formal writing in terms of grammar and sentence length?

I think I read that Lovecraft story. Then Hastur the Unmentionable comes and eats all the hearing-impaired children....
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Unfinished chapter of my fanfiction that's already 2037 words: David Foster Wallace
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:39 am

I used a part of a story I wrote.. it says I write like Neil Gaiman. I have never read anything by him, but I think I will now.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Lure

Postby Lure » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:33 pm

I write like Anne Rice.

Great. I just haven't never read any of her books or even have single idea of who she actually is.
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:52 pm

Apparently I write my fiction like Rudyard Kipling.

I genuinely have no idea what to make of that!

EDIT: my dissertation was apparently written in the style of Lovecraft. So in answer to the above: yes, apparently Lovecraft is what you get if you submit formal works!
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
curious

Postby curious » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:37 am

I never saw this thread before... but
I just put a passage from Charles Dickens into that, and he writes like James Joyce... :shock:
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Sunni Daez wrote:I used a part of a story I wrote.. it says I write like Neil Gaiman. I have never read anything by him, but I think I will now.

Start with "Neverwhere". :wink:
He is one of my absolute favourite authors (*points at her signature*), and reaches out to me and touches me in a way very, very few others do.
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."
Bowser

Postby Bowser » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:45 am

Lure wrote:I write like Anne Rice.

Great. I just haven't never read any of her books or even have single idea of who she actually is.

I write like Anne Rice as well. I just typed two paragraphs off the top of my head. Maybe Anne Rice doesn't think out her writing very much
Homer wrote: "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel. "
NancyLee

Postby NancyLee » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 am

At almost each Anne Rice's book I've read I had to take notes or a brief sketch to avoid getting lost in the loooong sagas that go on through centuries. But I have the same memory than the common goldfish, so...

I entered a piece of a story in Spanish just to see what happened and it says I write like William Shakespeare XD

Then I tried with some textes written by my English charries and it said Nabokov (I've only read Lolita, so I don't know if I think it suits me. It was a poem, if that makes any difference) for the younger and Arthur Conan Doyle for the elder *.* It was so lovely that I'll do my best to believe it's true for the next five minutes.
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
Mr. Black
Location: Fighting bandanna-wearing AK-47 firing pickles in Zimbabwe

Postby Mr. Black » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:45 pm

It tells me I write like Arthur C. Clarke in every text I've submitted. :shock: Am I channeling the dude's spirit or something?
PLAYER STATS

NAME: Mr. Black
LIKES: Hard rock, metal, playing both, Cantr, the internet, and whiskey.
HATES: His apartment, lizards, snakes, being told what to do.
STR: -2
AGI: -10
INT: +10
RCK: >9000

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”