Strange things you family/friends do

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

mojomuppet

Strange things you family/friends do

Postby mojomuppet » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:37 pm

Ok Im bored so I decided to try this out.

My dad drinks beer in the shower. You can almost always find an empty can or two in there. I thought about putting a lawn chair and a portable tv in there as a joke. That would require me walking across the lawn to his house and trying to be sneaky and well....you know I might miss something in Cantr.
3005-7.35: You expertly kill a giraffe using a bare fist.

Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Re: Strange things you family/friends do

Postby Snickie » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:09 pm

Wow, Mojo. :lol:

I absolutely cannot take a shower without having either Snick or Ninja in the bathroom too, though it is usually Snick. In fact, Snick is so used to it that now every time I'm in the bathroom for any reason, she scratches on the door trying to get in. It's now imperative that the door be completely shut and locked when you're on the toilet and don't want a fat black cat pushing the door all the way open to come in and either sit on your lap after you indulge her in her demand for attention OR walks back out when you ignore her, leaving the door wide open.

Snick and Ninja are also trained to let us know when they want down when we're holding them. They do that by touching their nose to your nose, and then you have to put them down. It's so cute! :mrgreen:

Before he grew up, I used to parade Ninja around the house on my back.

My dad calls Ninja his "son" and always calls him innocent and a good boy even when we catch him in the act of doing something bad.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Drinking beer in the shower sounds pretty impossible to top, but my mom used to gather emergency food rations in case the Apocalypse came to be while we were still around, so I remember having many plastic bags full of packages of bran and such on the top shelf in the storage. Then they expired so they had to be thrown away. I wasn't allowed to watch TV shows or plays that contained supernatural or alien elements or anything that could be taken as occultism. My mom didn't like my interest in ghosts, skeletons and stuff like that. I was rather obsessed with them as a child, starting from the age of 6. Around the age of 12 or 13 my interest started shifting to the X-files, aliens in general and fantasy and sci-fi literature and TV shows. That stage lasted many years, but finally we stopped having a TV and I had read all the fantasy books in the library that I found interesting or worth reading, so I stopped reading much at all, started torrenting TV series, particularly CSI and had a stage of reading lots of Patricia Cornwell novels, so you could say my interests have shifted more to things in this world, even if they involved serial killers and other shady people like that. But now I drifted to talking about myself rather than my family.
My dad sometimes sucks on his mustache after eating. That's disgusting. Also most people in my family have a tendency of licking plates/bowls after eating if it was something good, such as ice cream. I also lick ice cream off the packing material when buying individually packed ice cream since that's what I've done ever since I was a child, but I've started thinking that probably most people don't do that.

Oh, and we have a tendency not to close doors all the way, not even when going to the bathroom. The bathroom thing might be because my mom is somewhat claustrophobic and toilets tend to be small spaces. Also when I was a child, we weren't allowed to lock the bathroom door since my parents were concerned that we might lock it and then forget how to unlock it, although then we discovered that a Lego axle bar could be used to unlock it from the outside. Nowadays if I'm at my room at my parents' place and have the door closed or almost closed, my mom will open it because she thinks that carbon-dioxide will build up inside and kill me if the door isn't open enough. She read about some boy who spent hours playing computer games in a badly ventilated room and died.
Not-so-sad panda
Missy

Postby Missy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:06 pm

My husbands grandfather eats peanutbutter and ketchup sandwiches. I suppose some people won't think that's bad, except he always has weird concoctions. He'll even put brown sugar on the peanut butter or sometimes that ketchup and peanutbutter accompanies mayo and lunchmeat with pickles!

I'm too stubborn to try it at all, but damned if my son don't crawl right up on his lap and try to eat everything he's eating! :|

Edit

Oh and one other thing I thought of. My best friend of almost 20 years ever since I have known her sits on the toilette cross legged while she's taking a crap.. :?: lol
I hate people.
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:42 am

SekoETC wrote: I wasn't allowed to watch TV shows or plays that contained supernatural or alien elements or anything that could be taken as occultism.

My parents are like that too!! Even Scooby Doo was off limits. So now I spend a lot of time watching shows like Buffy just to spite them, even though I can never tell them because I don't want to hear a two hour lecture.

Let's see. My mom yells a lot. I mean A LOT. At me, at the cat, at inanimate objects. I don't know why. I think she drinks too much caffeine and has adult ADHD. She'll start a conversation and end up on a completely different topic. I can't follow how she gets to said topic, and the conversations usually don't involve me talking. I can't think of any specific weird things my dad does, although he is a very weird person in general. Maybe that counts. :|
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:52 am

My 140 lb dog is scared of thunder, and likes to burrow his face under me, when I'm sitting in a chair, during thunderstorms.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:08 am

Ok, this is kind of hard because I'm mostly the weird one, but I'll do my best ( :roll: )
My cats/my mom's cat's (there's actually a difference--they were mine and my mom's cat since I was little, and still are, but then I moved out and have new kittens so I have to make the distinction but I digress) will follow us into the bathroom. It doesn't matter who it is--a stranger, us, and especially if the sink water is running, they'll come trotting in, their belly fat swinging, to get butt-rubbinz and lovez and all sorts. It kinda makes sense though because when they were kittens, in our first house, their food bowls were right in front of the toilet and they would always come running to get their bowls filled when they heard us flush or whatever. They also bark, which is weird. And the girl used to head-butt my bedroom door till it opened (it was broken, it would hardly stay closed) and then get all embarrassed and run away when she wanted in.
My new kittens (the girl especially) like to lick every inch of me they can reach, randomly, and with no warning. Sometimes, this is cute. Sometimes, it is terrifying.
They are also skilled in the art of interrupting the sexuals.
My girl kitten has one back leg that's a nub, but she still tries to scratch with it, which is pretty hilarious. She also chases her own tail, which I didn't know cats did. The boy likes to explore, and sometimes gets stuck in the tub because he's still so little. He can't get out and has to sit and cry until I come and get him out while my girl kitten just sits and stares at him with what I imagine is the cat equivalent of a smug grin.
But enough about cats.
My boyfriend is a weird sleeper. If I come in or out of the bedroom while he's asleep (which I do a lot, I have insomnia) and wake him up, he'll pop up with a dazed look on his face and go, "What?! What's wrong?!" or "What?! What? What? Wha...? Wh...". And he denies all memory of this. And when he falls asleep after these little spazz attacks, he invariably starts chewing. For no reason.
Also, he has this thing of thinking about human hair not attached to the body as 'human waste' so he can't clean the drain (I have long hair; it's a serious issue) without retching. It's actually pretty funny, but I do it for him. And he can't handle gory movies (which I love). But he's fine with cat poop and demons (which disgust and terrify me).
I once caught my mom peeing on the patio at about 2am. She'd gotten up from a dead sleep, walked outside, (scaring the crap out of 16-year-old me who was smoking a cigarette I had stolen from her in my bedroom window which faces onto the patio) pulled down her pants, squatted, peed. I came outside and asked her what she was doing (in a bit of shock myself) and she sleepily replied she was "using the bathroom". She finished, pulled up her pants, and went to bed. When I asked her about it later, she got defensive and denied it ever happened. Still does, to this day.
Sleep-peeing? Dear god.
She has excema too, so she often sleeps with one white cotton glove on so her medication doesn't come off her hands in her sleep. My boyfriend and I walked into the living room where she was sleeping the other day on the couch, and he whispered to me, "Micheal's alive!"
And that's all I can think of at the moment.
Edit: Wait, one more! My girl kitten likes to try and burrow her head under my neck when I'm sleeping or in bed. It's very cute.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:50 am

masterekat wrote:My parents are like that too!! Even Scooby Doo was off limits. So now I spend a lot of time watching shows like Buffy just to spite them, even though I can never tell them because I don't want to hear a two hour lecture.

Yeah, for a while when I was in my early teens, I was allowed to record some series that came after midnight just to have me sleep at night, but I could sneak out to watch them with headphones on or with the sound muted just because it felt special to watch it when it comes. The darkness was an essential element, it just didn't feel the same at daytime. Also at one point she had deemed that Buffy was inappropriate, so I recorded it secretly and then my dad noticed it, and they distracted me by letting me try on dungarees that my mom had worn when she was about my age, and in the meanwhile they recorded televised church service on top of my Buffy. When I noticed it was recording, I stopped it and watched the remaining part of the program just out of spite, even though I couldn't make much sense of the plot since I missed the beginning.

And that part about having one-sided conversations that don't seem to follow any logic sounds like Asperger syndrome, but I guess ADHD could cause a similar effect. I have a tendency to not reply at all if someone on YIM says something that I have no comments on, and then I might say something completely irrelevant when it pops into my head. Since Josh and I read John Elder Robinson's Look Me In The Eye, we started calling those "Tonka trucks moments".

I think my brother also went to pee outside while sleepwalking once. I remember when he was little, my dad had to wake him up to pee in the middle of the night because otherwise he would wet the bed. He slept so soundly that he wouldn't notice a full bladder.

At least once I remember going out at night while fully awake and peeing in the grass. It was a magical experience. Being out at night when it's all quiet and peaceful has a special feeling to it on its own, but only wearing a nightgown with no panties and feeling the cool night air and peeing in an unconventional spot is even more special. Like you're doing something forbidden and not getting caught.
Not-so-sad panda
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:17 am

mojomuppet wrote:Ok Im bored so I decided to try this out.

My dad drinks beer in the shower. You can almost always find an empty can or two in there. I thought about putting a lawn chair and a portable tv in there as a joke. That would require me walking across the lawn to his house and trying to be sneaky and well....you know I might miss something in Cantr.

I did that on St. Patrick's day, its not a normal occurrence though.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:06 am

Seko wrote:Also most people in my family have a tendency of licking plates/bowls after eating if it was something good, such as ice cream. I also lick ice cream off the packing material when buying individually packed ice cream since that's what I've done ever since I was a child, but I've started thinking that probably most people don't do that.

I wouldn't say most people do that, but I definitely lick the aluminum type lid from yogart, and I'll lick jelly off of a plate..(from PB&J sandwiches, one of my most common food items), though usually I use the bread as a sponge for that purpose.

Seko wrote:we have a tendency not to close doors all the way, not even when going to the bathroom. The bathroom thing might be because my mom is somewhat claustrophobic and toilets tend to be small spaces. Also when I was a child, we weren't allowed to lock the bathroom door since my parents were concerned that we might lock it and then forget how to unlock it, although then we discovered that a Lego axle bar could be used to unlock it from the outside.

Doug R.'s dream wrote:I'm now in Seko's house. (disclaimer - this is entirely fabricated, I've never seen Seko's house, or her parents). It's small, all the rooms are connected, and her mom won't let me close the door to the bathroom.

Enough said..maybe I notice things too much.

Missy wrote:He'll even put brown sugar on the peanut butter

That actually sounds good..

I have 10 siblings. Five aren't blood related, two are married, and one's a baby.

My birth mother would often complain about the wax in my ear, probably for good reason, and would sometimes randomly start trying to scratch out wax in my ear. The only time I can think of where she really acknowledged the fact that the "alternative" methods of healing cancer she believed in might not save her is when she said, paraphrased, "If I do die, you should keep your ears clean." Except for the cancer part, she may have been one of the healthiest people on the planet.

My second oldest sister and I would often speak pig-latin to each other. Sometimes we even tried ubbydubby pig-latin or ubby dubby pig-latin in Spanish. :shock: Once I accidentally started thinking in pig-latin.
Once she lightly kicked me to tell me that we were leaving. That's probably from anime.

To be continued...
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
BrentW

Postby BrentW » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:19 pm

By far the best forum thread I have ever read. Well there was that one about a duke but thats a bit dirty for here.

So my father is a musican. And very good he can pull in 6 grand for an Irish festival easy as cake..That's the music he does Irish and classic rock party hits for private parties and weddings. That's his night job his day Job he is a grave digger/land scape guy. So I can make great Flowerbeds and sing EVER Irish drinking song ever written I know them all. Every word ever note it's buts Saint Patties day is my hell why I go to bars on it I still dont know..Well yes I do cheap beer. He is also gay..or gayish.

He had this friend Turk big guy a little nuts they were close...very very close looking back it was not normal close they had there own tent to sleep in when we camped his kids and myself. Way away from were we camped. My father is also a alcoholic when I was five we camped on a mountain in New Hampshire well one night he got drunk and while putting a knife in the table for the cheese..makes some sense so you dont drop it on the dark ground he managed to stick it in a small propane tank and blow himself up..He lived with terrible face burns..oddly he has zero scars from it lucky prick. Oh and his friend Turk I still find this amazing he had a brain tumor a terrible liver and Diabetes and seizers not from the tumor..He died from a Bee Sting. On a side note that morning after he blew himself Up I woke up looked at him and laughed my ass off. His hair was straight up never noticed his face..He still is pissed about that one haha.

So now my friends I am moving in with them in Jan. Hence the crazy move and me waiting until then to play Cantr. To much work to much packing and all that jazz.

Alaina is my best friend We meet in highschool became friends over an argument over Harry Potter one we still have to this day Who is better for Harry Ginny or Hermione I know it's retarded but it still comes up. So I was having some housing problems this summer my land lady thought it was ok to Evict me against the law so I was out on the street with nothing and she took me in. Now she lives with her Boyfriend Ryan who I did not like in Highschool he is very hyper and that urks me. They go to college so they were down for the summer at her Parents house. So I was in a small bedroom with 2 other adults with morgan her 15 yearold brother who I hate. He is I dont know part sociopath part genius he does not get the word no. Like we hated him so he broke his xbox and wanted to us Ryans. now I work at home most of the time so I was on it a lot lol. He wanted to us it I told him no..he flipped out...It wasnt his and all of us were paying his parents rent. So then there is Kyle he is moving in with us in jan 18 very quiet and again a math genius. Griffin is a computer genius Jamie is a loud crazy 12 year old enough said. But there mother is a genius IQ 146 and a shut in her father is not that smart lol not stupid but normal. Loves Morgan his own mother hates him.

So imagine living in that crazyness. We had a clean clean house though...Oh want to get on your xbox oh yea I have the power cords in my hand..clean slaves clean! Worked like a charm. So the first night Ryan walks in and yells out HEY LADY! That same night he went to wallmart together...at 4 in the morning after a 3 hour conversation about how we need to get a Vacuum cleaner we named it Blue Thunder in the check out line. He is Bi by the way so is Aliana I was surprised by her not by him I always thought he was gay. That and he spends an hour in a bathroom haha. So walking in on them ina bubble bath to getting hit on by Ryan to yelling at teenage boys for being pigs in the bathroom to beating 22 games on Coop with Kyle it was a hell of a month..Then I got my apartment back my land lady talked to my lawyer and we drew it on a crayon for the stupid bitch. So now I have untill Jan to move..Yay me. Oh yea Griffin is moving in for the summer. haha my life is going to be and is insane.

Shit I wrote WAY to much..sorry.
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 am

Are you drunk?
70% cute, 30% WTF
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:52 pm

I believe he may have sobered up since 2010.10.22. :)
phoenixannwn

Postby phoenixannwn » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:19 pm

You know what I mean.

Let's see...my mum's eczema has gotten really bad (she looks like she's slowly turning into a zombie, and her skin bursts out bleeding almost randomly), so she now wears two white fingerless gloves on her hands, or two blue leopard print ones (I guess for when she's feeling fancy). She's tanning all the time (the uv rays help the eczema, and we have a free tanning bed at our apartment complex, so she just goes and sticks her hands in, which is an odd-looking tan, let me tell you) so her arms look literally cooked, and she's taken to boiling her hands (okay, just plunging them in really hot, or sometimes ice cold, water). Eczema sucks. And, lucky me, it's genetic. :roll:
Also, she has these post-its on her mirror:
mom wrote:No smoking in the car

mom wrote:1 hour minimum between cigarettes

mom wrote:No wine before 8pm

mom wrote:1 Liter Maximum wine per day

That being said, she's not as bad as me. I drink a good 4 liters of Dr. Pepper a day when I'm trying to conserve. Although I am down to a pack of cigarettes every three days. *shrugs*
70% cute, 30% WTF
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:36 pm

My mother used to call me on my home phone, asking where I was at.

Luckily (for her) I have a mobile phone only these days, so the question kind of applies nowadays.

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”