What's Your Favorite Podcast?

General chitchat, advertisements for other services, and other non-Cantr-related topics

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

PaintedbyRoses

What's Your Favorite Podcast?

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:34 pm

I love podcasts. If you don't, you should.

Post a link to just one of your favorite podcasts at a time and explain what makes it so great that you spend hours of your time listening to people talk.

Please remember this is a family friendly forum so use some common sense about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's the podcast I am most excited about at the moment. It's called Oh No, Ross and Carrie! http://ohnopodcast.com/

To start with their very first podcast on March 9, 2011 go here: http://ohnopodcast.com/?offset=1313471933419

These two perform amazing feats of undercover investigative journalism. Most recently, they were invited to an "all expenses paid" new-age retreat in Costa Rica called Rythmia to participate in four sessions of Ayahuasca (an hallucinogenic plant "medicine"). They normally investigate without the group or person knowing who they are but, in this case, made an exception on the condition that they would only tell the truth about what they saw. And man, it was eye-opening in so many ways. They have just posted the 12th of 13 podcasts about this place. Start listening from the first podcast about Rythmia to get the full story.

I'd like to add that Ross and Carrie always treat their investigative subjects with a great deal of respect but are completely honest about their opinions and the results of their research. They are very funny people, though, and also make a lot of jokes about the things they discover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From their description:

"Welcome to Oh No, Ross and Carrie!, the show where we don’t just report on spirituality, fringe science and the paranormal (from a scientific, evidence-based standpoint), but dive right in by joining religions, attending spiritual events, undergoing “alternative” treatments, partaking in paranormal investigations, and more. At Oh No, Ross and Carrie!, we show up, so you don’t have to.

Each episode of our show deals with an investigation of a religion, fringe group, or fringe science practice. Join us as we ask tough questions, explore the nature of belief, and always find the humor in life’s biggest mysteries."

Ross Blocher (Co-host)

Ross was born into a family of evangelical Christians and spent a good amount of time in churches of various denominations, singing in choirs, serving as an acolyte, and memorizing lots of scripture. Meanwhile, he busied himself reading books about ghosts, vampires, aliens and chupacabras. In college, while serving as president of a Bible study group, he started attending skeptical lectures and reading science books, coming to the conclusion that he'd been wrong about reality his whole life. While the beliefs went away, his interest in them didn't, and Ross has spent the time since trying to find out why people believe what they do and participating in the Independent Investigations Group, which investigates claims of the paranormal from a scientific viewpoint.

Ross is an accomplished animation professional and has worked on award-winning films including The Princess and the Frog and The Simpsons Movie. You can learn more about Ross at http://rossblocher.com.

Carrie Poppy (Co-host)

Carrie wasn’t raised in a religious home, but became engrossed in religion at the age of 13, when she accepted Jesus into her heart (although he no longer works there). She once exorcised a demon, used to own a chakra chart, and has spent countless dollars on “detoxifying” foot baths, Bach flower remedies, homeopathic “medicine” and psychics. She doesn't believe any of that stuff any more, but she often hopes she's wrong.

Carrie lives in Los Angeles with her boyfriend, rescued doggy (Ella Poppy TM), and a healthy collection of books on religion, paranormal studies, philosophy and science. She earned a master's degree in investigative journalism from the University of Southern California in 2015. In 2017, she was featured on NPR's TED Radio Hour, where she discussed her TED talk about the hunt for the paranormal. The talk has been seen by over a million people.

Re: What's Your Favorite Podcast?

Postby Millhouse » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:24 pm

I've been listening to the Lore podcast lately. It's pretty good if you're in to history and creepy stuff. http://www.lorepodcast.com
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:27 pm

Potterless: www.potterlesspodcast.com

A grown man reads The Harry Potter series for the first time.
Finch

Postby Finch » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:32 am

If you’re into murder mysteries, one of my favourites is Serial :) It’s available for free on the Apple Podcast app thing.

Basically, it picks apart the case from a murder from the early 2000s, where the convicted suspect has professed his innocence the whole time he’s in prison. They interview alternative suspects and witnesses, and it points out heaps of flaws in the prosecutor’s case, and it’s a really interesting listen.
The human version of the one hundred emoji
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:44 am

I've listened to Serial and it's really good.

The Harry Potter one sounds interesting just because I've never read any of the books. I saw the first movie but I don't remember it at all. I'll give it a try. Thanks!
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Fri May 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Alright, you uncooperative podcast duds: I HAVE ANOTHER PODCAST FAVORITE FOR YOU!!!

This one is a futuristic comedy show which had 12 episodes and a Christmas special. It's called The Bunker. It is funny, bizarre and poignant.

Here's the description:

A hundred years after the end of the world, three immortal survivors - Dave, David and Tom - are still sealed in an underground bunker. Too scared to explore the nightmarish wasteland outside, they pass the time by hosting a breakfast radio show, featuring news, interviews, music, call-ins and other features from both before and after the apocalypse. As their routine is disrupted by internal tensions and external threats, the hosts are forced to confront the reality of their new world, with heartbreaking consequences.

https://player.fm/series/1064713

[Not to be confused with another podcast of the same name which is about wrestling, as far as I can tell.]

If you like it, here is a similar podcast, called MarsCorp, by the same comedy troop:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Podcast/Marscorp
Telefon

Postby Telefon » Sat May 05, 2018 11:27 am

This one's my favourite -> Podnośnik.
It's from New York.
"[...] I tylko fotel MG stoi boleśnie pusty..."
"Weźmiecie go i wyhodujecie sobie drugiego Raynusa."
"żartuję, nie ma w Cantr trudnych misji, nic się nie chce i nic się nie da"
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Wed May 23, 2018 9:19 pm

Time for a podcast update! Yay!

This one is called "Rum, Rebels & Ratbags." You're intrigued, I can tell.

https://soundcloud.com/rum-rebels-ratbags/tracks

It's an older podcast which has finished it's run of 10 episodes and they are all fascinating. It's the history of the invasion of Australia by white people with more elitism, rats, dirt, swamps, mosquitoes, sex, attempted genocide, danger, horror, weirdness and unexpectedly awesome characters than you could possibly imagine, even for Australia. And it's all true.

Here's their description:

Rum, Rebels & Ratbags is history not for the faint-hearted. Historian David Hunt and Sydney's Dom Knight uncover the characters and events left out of your high school history class.

Sir Joseph Banks wasn't just 'that plant guy', but a celebrity playboy botanist who decided Australia was just the place for a penal colony. The lady on the $20 note, Mary Reibey, was deported to Australia for horse theft and cross-dressing, but what she did next will surprise you. And, who circumnavigated Australia first - a French monkey or a South African cat?

One thing I like about this history is that women exist in it. What!?

It's hard to tell but you should listen from the bottom up in this order:

1) Sir Joseph Banks, the playboy botanist
2) Australia's Worst Serial Killer
3) Tea, Taxation, Criminals and Cannabis
4) Naked and Starving
5) The Eora Ambassador and The Rainbow Warrior
6) Bass Straight?
7) The Man Who Bought Australia
8) The Bounty Bastard
9) Let's call it Macquarie
10) Mothers of a nation
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:14 am

INVENTIONS

I've been listening to a new podcast that just started in December, 2018 which makes me think about Cantr pretty frequently. It's called 'Inventions' and it's with two really smart, articulate guys who do a lot of research and go into depth about the invention of certain things in human history.

The most recent invention they have discussed is 'The Wheel (Part 1).' I was appalled by my ignorance on this subject and by all the assumptions I (and most people) have made about wheels.

Other topics have been:

Roads
The Saxophone
The Death Ray, Part 2
The Death Ray, Part 1
The X-Ray
Sun Glasses
Toothpaste
Chopsticks
Guillotine

So far I've listened to Guillotine, Chopsticks, The Saxophone and The Wheel (Part 1). Other than the wheel, I wasn't particularly interested in the other three inventions but their histories turned out to be fascinating. I can't wait to learn about the other inventions listed, especially The Death Ray (since I didn't even know that was a thing which exists).

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-invention-30252394/

Return to “Non-Cantr-Related Discussion”