Things you really want to see in "Cantr Statististics

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Thetaris

Postby Thetaris » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:41 pm

You idiot, do you know how much work and effort would have to go into that?

It's not like it's blatantly obvious for the people who do it, it's not flashing up on their screen.

It's a massive database with thousands of little numbers.

There are over 5,000+ figures they'd have to put together, not to mention find in the first place.

Most of these suggestions are pure hope and will never happen. This thread is quite ignorant of the fact it's putting more labour on the people who already put enough effort into the current statistics.
Evolution is unconformity.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:11 pm

Thetaris , there is absolutely no need to insult the posters in this thread

As one of the key people who extracts the data for HF's use in his Cantr Statistics column , I'm very aware of what is involved (and indeed, working as a professional statistician for the past 20 or so years I'm reasonably clued up on analysing data).

Yes it is a massive database . Being a database the data is organised in such a way that it is extremely easy to extract the answers to most of the queries people have requested in this thread.

For instance the previous request before your post could be answered by a 40 or 50 character SQL statement.

This doesn't mean that all these will be followed up, some pose potential
CRB issue, others are difficult to post analyse and some (as I'm sure HF will testify) turn out to be very boring when run, showing little or no discrimination .
Hellzon

Postby Hellzon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:12 pm

EDIT: Mostly pwned by Chris. But I don't bother with that. :)
Thetaris wrote:You idiot

Chill...
Thetaris wrote:Most of these suggestions are pure hope and will never happen. This thread is quite ignorant of the fact it's putting more labour on the people who already put enough effort into the current statistics.

Well, yeah. But what's the harm in suggesting things for upcoming articles (beyond the closest one)? As for "putting more work" - it's not as if we're standing outside farmer's house with pitchforks and DEMANDING that he does all of these suggestions.
Besides, those of us who aren't on ProgD or RD (the ones who have access to these statistics, I assume) can't know what's easy or not to generate. We can make an educated guess, yes, but that's all. (And indeed, the educated guess about Okuds and my suggetion is that it would be practically impossible to do, but we can hope, can't we?)

/Hellzon - spreading the love...
[21:35] Sunni: no peeing on people in chat!
WojD

Postby WojD » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:52 pm

Hellzon wrote:Burying (high in the Polish region? :twisted: )

Almost all bodies buried... With showel this takes a moment :)
==============
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:50 pm

I should probably make a point by noting that I haven't even started the next stats issue, or thought about it.

I'm in the middle of actually trying to get my dissertation done, as well as getting a proposal for another research project done, and getting that reserach underway. Not to mention it being the begining of a new semester and all the bumpf that goes with that.

Oh, and my motherboard shorted, so I'm without a computer unless I'm in a Uni cluster all week...

All in all, I doubt there I will be able to write a stats article for the next issue, unless the next issue is much much more delayed than it's looking to be at the moment (and it's already looking like it'll be fairly heavily delayed)
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:42 am

When you get some free time, while in IRC, we were talking about getting new players to stick with the game, and thought the following might be interesting statistics..

Lifespan of first character vs time the player is active (days from account activation till deactivation)
Cause of death of first character vs time player is active

The thought is that perhaps a significant number of players has a bad experience, exploring, picking up things, accused of stealing and killed and this might turn the player off cantr. Personally I think you'll see a lot of heart attack/starvations for short term players representing players that come in for a day, decide the game is not for them and never come back...
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:52 am

I was thinking, deaths sorted by age. It would look something like a loooooooong one for first year, then I'd guess the bars going shorter rather linearly. But if there were peaks in like 23 years or 28 years when your character has done exploring the region or settling in a community and life gets boring, this would be interesting to find out. Then we could see what's the average time of getting bored with a character.
Not-so-sad panda
Talapus

Postby Talapus » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:23 pm

Or how about the number of keys in peoples inventories?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:25 pm

lol, That would be cool. How about the most rare tools/objects (wooden bows, apotechary kits, brooms...)?
Not-so-sad panda
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:55 pm

I'd like to see how many of the total number of keys are useless because of broken locks...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Amlin

Postby Amlin » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:30 pm

I wish something that isnt simple query, but i wish to be stored... I hope to see time diagram of current statistics page. I.e.: how many players joined language group, how much changed characters numbers, how fast was translation made, etc.. I think about something like time/number diagram instead of simple numbers "now is"... I hope i explained not very confusing...
Sho

Postby Sho » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Is that data stored, though? So far all statistics (as far as I can recall) have used only data in the current state of Cantr.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:15 pm

Some of this is (and some time series stats are stored by Jos as a matter of course) - All of Amin's suggestions are derivable from the database as it stands as we have language group and time of joining / spawning for players/ characters - Also whilst not exactly the same , every translated text is date stamped so something approaching % translation over time could be extracted.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:26 pm

The next issue (if I get 'round to it) will be based on some time-series data.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
TatteredShoeLace

Postby TatteredShoeLace » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:27 pm

I didn't read the first page, but perhaps most common note in inventory? Money on Treefeather or Hobbes I'd think.
1223-4: You kill a elephant using a longbow.

Nick wrote:If you don't check your characters once a day, you're not going anywhere in Cantr. :P

Return to “General Discussion”