Things you really want to see in "Cantr Statististics

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Re: Things you really want to see in "Cantr Statististics

Postby Greek » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Number of disassembled vehicles
And number of currently existing vehicles.

Code: Select all

+-----------+-------------------+---------------------+
|  COUNT(*) | existing_vehicles | get_obj_uname(area) |
|      420  |             1565  | small_wooden_cart   |
|      105  |             1431  | longboat            |
|       57  |             1282  | dinghy              |
|       48  |               61  | shipwreck           |
|       41  |               58  | small_shipwreck     |
|       36  |             1528  | sloop               |
|       29  |              782  | rickshaw            |
|       22  |              798  | tandem_bike         |
|        5  |              250  | darter              |
|        2  |              451  | raft                |

There could be more...
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:10 pm

On the time trends section of the statistics area, how is an old player defined?
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:32 pm

ObsessedWithCats wrote:On the time trends section of the statistics area, how is an old player defined?

>365 days. And it's the same for old character.

By the way, some time ago I've added two new stats for public timeline statistics:
- amount of wood - quite obvious
- number of food days - how many food rations are there in the world. In other worlds: how many days would a single character need to eat all the food stockpiled in the world
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:46 pm

Greek wrote:
ObsessedWithCats wrote:On the time trends section of the statistics area, how is an old player defined?

>365 days. And it's the same for old character.

By the way, some time ago I've added two new stats for public timeline statistics:
- amount of wood - quite obvious
- number of food days - how many food rations are there in the world. In other worlds: how many days would a single character need to eat all the food stockpiled in the world

Aha, thanks for letting me know ^_^ It seems to count me even though my account's been inactivated a couple of times :)

Curious how there were days (like 4851) with a sudden dip in food days but they were followed by immediate recovery the next day - actual events, or something hiding food temporarily from being counted?
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 pm

This post could be being made in the suggestion page, but that there is only for trifles. Serious and important things like the idea of a special system for receiving new players to this day has not left the drawing board. And what I will describe below have to do with it.

PUBLIC STATISTICAL OVERVIEW CANTR

Characters by Players Proportion

Geral = 4014/828 = 4,847826087

English = 7,231155779
Spanish = 7,327586207
Polish = 8,064039409
Lithuan = 8,166666667
Português = 0,63322884

They say that the community of Portuguese-speaking players is the third largest of Cantr. Well ... it depends on what they see fit for "players". What this community really shows is the third largest number of active accounts. But without characters, since they die of starvation or attacks by animals before the account is removed for inactivity.

The locations are so poor and its really active population so tiny that there is no possibility of giving shields and food to new characters. Nor is there reason for this, because there is the almost certainty that is giving goodies to zombies. The amount of people who die every day is so great that the only profession that acquires status of experience is the gravedigger. And the atmosphere and mood of the town is the worst possible at these various cemeteries.

The suggestion here would be to reduce the time limit for removal of the account for seven (7) days of inactivity. So then, at least we would have a more realistic statistical overview framework.
Last edited by HFrance on Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:29 pm

Does the newbie server not cover "a special system for receiving new players"?

Your suggestion would do absolutely nothing to solve the problem you describe - it would only hide it. Meanwhile it would punish active and happy players who happen to have difficulty reaching the site for what is ultimately a relatively short timespan.

edit: though I am curious to know if what you describe is the issue with the Portuguese statistics, and I think if that's the case something serious needs to be done in game, for instance by reducing the effect of the animals (as has happened before) or implementing a food that can only be made in the Portuguese region and has a very high output:effort ratio. That's a topic for the suggestions forum though :P
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:58 pm

ObsessedWithCats wrote:Does the newbie server not cover "a special system for receiving new players"?

Your suggestion would do absolutely nothing to solve the problem you describe - it would only hide it. Meanwhile it would punish active and happy players who happen to have difficulty reaching the site for what is ultimately a relatively short timespan.

edit: though I am curious to know if what you describe is the issue with the Portuguese statistics, and I think if that's the case something serious needs to be done in game, for instance by reducing the effect of the animals (as has happened before) or implementing a food that can only be made in the Portuguese region and has a very high output:effort ratio. That's a topic for the suggestions forum though :P

I unaware of this newbie server. But I agree that what I suggested would do absolutely nothing to solve the problem. The ideal would be to prevent the creation of characters until the account was approved and the player returned to the game.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:10 pm

ObsessedWithCats wrote:Curious how there were days (like 4851) with a sudden dip in food days but they were followed by immediate recovery the next day - actual events, or something hiding food temporarily from being counted?

My guess is that (a lot of) edible food was used as an ingredient for cooking more efficient food and/or large cooking projects were finished.

Of course every day some 4000 food days are used, so if no food is cooked in a day the total will go down considerably.
I think ...
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:12 pm

HFrance wrote:
ObsessedWithCats wrote:Does the newbie server not cover "a special system for receiving new players"?

I unaware of this newbie server. But I agree that what I suggested would do absolutely nothing to solve the problem. The ideal would be to prevent the creation of characters until the account was approved and the player returned to the game.

I've not seen it myself (I joined before it existed) but I think it sort of does that - players can create a first character there instead of in 'our' world to test things out. I don't know if that applies to all language groups, and I think it's encouraged but not forced.

Tiamo that's a good point - a couple of large projects finishing or being started would make a big blip ^_^
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:02 pm

ObsessedWithCats wrote:I've not seen it myself (I joined before it existed) but I think it sort of does that - players can create a first character there instead of in 'our' world to test things out. I don't know if that applies to all language groups, and I think it's encouraged but not forced.

If so, it's probably just for one or another language. I am a veteran returning to the game now and my characters in Portuguese were direct to the world.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:25 pm

It is for new players, not new characters.
Read about my characters by following this link.
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:30 pm

*Wiro wrote:It is for new players, not new characters.

I returned with new account. Only after I asked to rehabilitate my old account.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:56 pm

It is my understanding that all new game accounts get redirected to the intro server when creating a new char.

Did you create a char when you created the new account?

The requirement for a new language group on the intro server is that there is at least one volunteer that can act like a mentor for new players. If a language group doesn't have representation, new players should be redirected to the English intro group.
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Yes. When I returned, create a new account with two portuguese characters. I started playing with these characters directly on the primary server. Only then I asked to have my old account reactived.
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Then such a discrepancy between the indices of the proportion characters / accounts between the Portuguese-speaking community and other communities is explained: my people is the one that is outside the system.

Return to “General Discussion”