Don't know if this is legal but chat room in note?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

rklenseth

Don't know if this is legal but chat room in note?

Postby rklenseth » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:29 pm

In Cantr City, the character Katie Mlee put a note down claiming that she will be away for a while. Until she comes back she wants people to use a note that has 'chatterbox' to leave messages. I think it is really cool but is that legal? I think someone from the administration should check it out.
swymir

Postby swymir » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:25 pm

I don't understand how it works if more then one person has the copy of the note changes to one effects all of them? Or do you have to pick up and put down the note?
Thomas Pickert
Programmer Emeritus

Postby Thomas Pickert » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:02 pm

Thanks for pointing to it.

I have now deleted the content of that note. While it may seem to be a nice gadget, there are reasons to prohibit the use of javascrit in such a way.

Before I get to the reasons, let me remind you of something. Until a few months ago, it was possible and allowed to use HTML tags in your characters' speeches. That, of course, allowed for much freedom and creativity on the player's side, which, as we thought, was a a good thing.

Unfortunately, a few individuals couldn't handle that level of freedom we were willing to grant the players. Thus we prohibited the use of any tags for every player in character speeches.

However, we still allow those in notes, as HTML still is an easy way to create neat looking notes. If that is abused by individuals again, then we won't have much choice but to prohibit creativity in notes, too. We don't want to, but if we have to, there won't be much hesitation.

This particular note was deleted for two main reasons:
1. The script involved in that note allowed to edit the note without picking it up. While it may look just cumbersome to have to pick up a not eto edit it, there's a good reason for that. As you may have noticed, Cantr is text-based. Everything is perceived based on text. The note in question allowed being edited without anyone noticing that.

2. The script involved is remotely accessible. That means, that anyone who finds out the link is able to both read from and write on that note, no matter where his/her characters are. That clearly is a problem.
Meh

Postby Meh » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:36 am

So the real solution for the chracter would be to ask someone "to keep detailed notes on everything that happens". Meaning cut and paste what you see in a note.

I hope someone will do that for her in her absence.
XBL

Postby XBL » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:41 am

About HTML in notes. I saw a note in Krif (i thought) where there was an image in the title. Looked cool with the note open (nice picture above it), but on the objects page, it was not so nice... Anyhow, hope you don't prohibit the use of HTML in notes, because it will make notes worse to understand and of course all the nice html-artwork will be lost :(.

HTML in notes is also very important, because in some city's they use colors in the title, to show what kind of note it is (from a local shop/whatever or from the gouverment).

Jochem
dgalien

Postby dgalien » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:39 am

Hmm a solution could be BBCode. Like here on the Cantr-Board and/or allow not all HTML-Tags.
Im a slow walker, but never walk backwards
<i>Abe. Lincoln</i>
g1asswa1ker

Postby g1asswa1ker » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:49 am

I would say that some one just invented the cell phone in game and now it is getting removed. Long distance communication is a limiting facter in the game and without true inovative ideas we must wait for the programmers to catch up with us on the development curve. I think it was very smart of her to do that. Also what's wrong with doing things unnoticed. What are there no thieves, No plots, No conspiricies...If you want to get rid of the unnoticed facter you might want to check out the stop and turn with out being noticed on the roads then...
Somehow you strayed and lost your way,
and now there'll be no time to play,
no time for joy,
no time for friends
- not even time to make amends.
You are too naïve if you do believe life is innocent laughter and fun.
Missy

Postby Missy » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:53 am

Well I hope people don't abuse it. As someone earlier told me it is a "Privelage"

If someone has something they'd like to put in a note besides changing font colors sizes etc but aren't sure if it would be suited to have in a note in game, there are people you can ask. :)
I just learned html and i want the chance to use it eventually. :D :)
Genevieve

Postby Genevieve » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:20 pm

g1asswa1ker wrote:I would say that some one just invented the cell phone in game and now it is getting removed. Long distance communication is a limiting facter in the game and without true inovative ideas we must wait for the programmers to catch up with us on the development curve. I think it was very smart of her to do that. Also what's wrong with doing things unnoticed. What are there no thieves, No plots, No conspiricies...If you want to get rid of the unnoticed facter you might want to check out the stop and turn with out being noticed on the roads then...

This wasn't a true "invention" in Cantr II...it was a way to use notes to cheat. Truely unacceptable. There are plots and conspiracies ooc and ic. IC is okay, ooc we do our best as a Players Department to catch and get rid of.

You don't have to pay for this game, you don't have to work on this game, in fact everything done by Jos and the others who work hard on the programming aspect do it only out of the goodness of their hearts-and the PD certainly doesn't get paid! So please remember that when you complain about us.

The "unnoticed factor" of stopping and turning on the roads may be a bug. Thus, report it as such or recommend that it be stopped in Suggestions
Meh

Postby Meh » Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:42 am

I think stop is invisible as with all changes in speed but I saw someone turn around within the last week. You can tell someone has changed spped by the recent enchancment where you can see if they are behind/in front faster/or slower.
Thomas Pickert
Programmer Emeritus

Postby Thomas Pickert » Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:57 am

Turning around is visble for a long time already. I think even longer than g1asswa1ker's participation in Cantr. ;)

Speed changes are not visible as events, but you can find out about the speed of someone else compared to your own speed. Some people might not have discovered that yet and still complain. ;)
swymir

Postby swymir » Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:45 pm

The nesest thing I noticed is you can only see people at a certain distance down the road. This makes the game a lot harder when trying to communicate.
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Fri Sep 19, 2003 5:46 pm

That has always been the case, I think. But what gets annoying is when you see someone and then see that person talk to someone that you can't see but you know and now you know they are there when you haven't seen them yet.
Meh

Postby Meh » Fri Sep 19, 2003 6:34 pm

I like that feature. It is like yodeling. The really odd thing is that if they point at someone you can see them.
Gunny1723

Postby Gunny1723 » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:49 pm

This is the owner of Katie Mlee speaking thourgh my brothers account...my accounts not working right now....but I did not know that Java was not aloud...I'm sorry about this problem...but there is NO WAY to post on the not that I made without being there....

Return to “General Discussion”