The Map

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

abbeyroad

The Map

Postby abbeyroad » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:46 pm

I'm curious on how the game map and movement system works. Are each destination set in an (x,y) system or a grid of some kind? I'm moving and wondering at what point it will stop at.
The resident newbie. Accept it.
The Hunter

Postby The Hunter » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:52 pm

There is no "map" at least not one for the players. Where will you stop? well, when the path u take is called "path to krif forest" u end up in..... Krif forest. :D
Life is fun. Play naked with Psycho-Pixie.

"Our enemies are resourceful and innovative".
"and so are we..."
They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and people"
"and neither do we"
~G.W Bush
Meh

Postby Meh » Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:13 pm

Count the differences in % between "hours" in the game. That will tell you how many game hours it will take. 8 game hours in a game day. 1 game day in a real day. A long time.

Did you see the part where you can start one new chracter each day until you get up to 15? In case your bored staring at a chracter on a lonely trail.
abbeyroad

Postby abbeyroad » Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:28 pm

David Goodwin wrote:Count the differences in % between "hours" in the game. That will tell you how many game hours it will take. 8 game hours in a game day. 1 game day in a real day. A long time.

Did you see the part where you can start one new chracter each day until you get up to 15? In case your bored staring at a chracter on a lonely trail.

Didn't see that. ::Runs off to make a new one to experiment with::
Meh

Postby Meh » Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:29 am

The locations in the game are connected by trails just like the gates in tradewars only you have to spend time on them as you've found out. No warp speed here...yet.
Rob Maule

Postby Rob Maule » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:02 am

Don't forget that each one of your characters are separate. They should not act the same, know the same things, etc. They're individuals. It's up to you on how much of an individual you'd like them to be. I'd suggest planning out who your character will be before you even create one. Things like interests, looks, speech and manerisms, oddities. The first one could be yourself. Maybe the second person you amke is a friend of yours. And don't forget about the other end of the spectrum. One may be the model citizen, another may be a lunatic.
Thomas Pickert
Programmer Emeritus

Postby Thomas Pickert » Sun Aug 31, 2003 9:23 am

Rob brought up something here, that always interested me, from a game administration point-of-view.

You're a newb to this game.

I'd like to know, if you know what the Capital Rule is. Have you ever heard that term? If so, could you give an idea about the Rule?
abbeyroad

Postby abbeyroad » Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:21 am

David Goodwin wrote:The locations in the game are connected by trails just like the gates in tradewars only you have to spend time on them as you've found out. No warp speed here...yet.

I understand the trails...but the map is so foreign to me... ahh!!

Don't forget that each one of your characters are separate. They should not act the same, know the same things, etc. They're individuals. It's up to you on how much of an individual you'd like them to be. I'd suggest planning out who your character will be before you even create one. Things like interests, looks, speech and manerisms, oddities. The first one could be yourself. Maybe the second person you amke is a friend of yours. And don't forget about the other end of the spectrum. One may be the model citizen, another may be a lunatic.

Oh ya. They won't be alike. I got too many FSF personalities to add to them. 8) Plus...they will never get together. At least now. I have no idea where Pok is in relation to ....whereever my other one is.

I'd like to know, if you know what the Capital Rule is. Have you ever heard that term? If so, could you give an idea about the Rule?

I've heard of Capital One's No Hassel Card. :P

But seriously, no, I don't know what you're talking about.
Thomas Pickert
Programmer Emeritus

Postby Thomas Pickert » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:28 am

You have agreed having read the following text during the application process. ;)

The Capital Rule
There is one rule that governs the interaction among the characters in Cantr II.

While each individual player is allowed to have multiple characters, those characters MUST be separate and distinct individuals. This has several ramifications for the game:

Your characters are not automatically a family, a clan, a tribe, an army, a company, or so on - not necessarily even friends. They should have their own interests and goals. They should not know each other unless they happen to meet. If two of your characters interact, they should do so as though each were looking out for their own interests and goals - essentially, as though the other character were being played by a stranger. Describing your characters as a family, banding all of your characters together to form an army, or starting a character solely to produce goods or perform services for the benefit of another one of your characters (making a `mule` character) are all violations of this aspect of the Cardinal Rule.
Your characters do not automatically know what your other characters have seen or done. If you have a character in Cantr City, that character should not know that there`s been a revolution to overthrow the Empress of Blojt and establish democracy until someone travels from Blojt to Cantr City to spread the news, even if you have another character in Blojt. Discussing events that happened elsewhere Until the news has spread by in-game means is a violation of this aspect of the Capital Rule.
Similarly, a multi-location organization should not exist without some member of the organization fairly traveling from one location to the other - ABC Corporation should not open offices in Cantr City and Blojt, unless someone travels from Cantr City to Blojt (quite a trip!) to open the second office. The creation of organizations should take place in the game - not among your personal characters, and not offline among your friends who also play unless you have legitimate in-game contact.
The Players Department is here to help with interpretation of the Capital Rule. If you`re not sure if something you`re about to do is a violation, ask first! If you think someone else is breaking the rule, the Players Department can investigate. The Department can be contacted by emailing players@cantr.net - or just use the link on the Departments page.
abbeyroad

Postby abbeyroad » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:50 am

Oh...thats it? I remember that. Like I said, I got enough personalities to go around...and I will never understand the map. So my characters will never meet....well...not anytime soon. :P
west

Postby west » Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:32 pm

it gets trickier when several of your chars spawn in the same place.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
abbeyroad

Postby abbeyroad » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:21 am

=west= wrote:it gets trickier when several of your chars spawn in the same place.

Not me. I sent them seperate directions. Only thing I DO do.... is name them so I don't start asking myself questions later. =P
new.vogue.nightmare

Postby new.vogue.nightmare » Tue Sep 02, 2003 6:03 am

When I start a char, I usually start them with more or less a carte blanche, with, maybe a framework personality or something, and let his/her life shape the rest...So, I have a devoted policeman, a cocky adventurer, a vengeful wanderer, all sorts of thinggit ^^
Sicofonte wrote:SLURP, SLURP, SLURP...

<Kimidori> esperanto is sooooo sexy^^^^
abbeyroad

Postby abbeyroad » Tue Sep 02, 2003 7:28 am

Mine have a personality with the name, mostly based on the character I have in other groups with the same name. All have one common thread right now.... they have no idea what the heck is going on. :P

Return to “General Discussion”