Dictature?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Sikakoira

Dictature?

Postby Sikakoira » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:42 pm

I haven't found any dictatures during I've played Cantr, only democracies or free societies.

I mean with dictatures evil people getting into power, and having the power all by themselves.
This space for rent
Meh

Postby Meh » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:49 pm

There are a few out there. And there was some more in the past.

Most who would otherwise be totally bent realize the need to be as inclusionary as possible to get their goals achived. Some things that seem free are really not at all.
Sikakoira

Postby Sikakoira » Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:55 pm

You need some closest people you can trust, and a good military power before trying to make a good dictature...

A USSR -clone :)

Any military revolutions made?
This space for rent
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:16 pm

Well, the thing is, starting a dictatorship is difficult :) ... You need to mobilize people, weapon them, etc ... I don't think many people right now are powerful enough to actually put enough fear on people to keep in power when they don't want it. Would there be anyone like that anywhere?

I tried one dictator once, but he kept his power by acting as if he was not a dictator :) ...
Sikakoira

Postby Sikakoira » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:18 pm

Jos Elkink wrote:Well, the thing is, starting a dictatorship is difficult :) ... You need to mobilize people, weapon them, etc ... I don't think many people right now are powerful enough to actually put enough fear on people to keep in power when they don't want it. Would there be anyone like that anywhere?

I tried one dictator once, but he kept his power by acting as if he was not a dictator :) ...

Yeah. I suppose the Cantr system is a bit too hard for maintaining a dictature...
This space for rent
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Mon Aug 25, 2003 5:46 pm

There have been several "total power" govs, the most long lived is Lad, but it is hard to keep these places going...the best way is to keep the body count rising...on the other hand I also did what Jos meantioned, I basically played a char as a "quiet dictator" to get a place started, then gradually gave more power to others, and that town is going strong today...if a certain player remembers one of her chars once spoke out calling him a dictator (around 240 or so), and then the char was appointed to Public Relations Officer :wink:...you don't have to kill people to get them to be quiet...
http://www.ephiroll.com
Jeremiah 'Jerry' Donaldson
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:02 pm

I think that currently in the Cantr system it is possible. The only thing that might be hard is to find a lot of manpower if you want that. So gaining power over a larger area is difficult. But still not impossible. Difficult but possible is exactly how it should be, I think :) ... There is nothing exciting about managing a dictatorship when it takes no effort at all ...
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:12 pm

Although, I must also admit, it is indeed true that perhaps too many locations are just people friendly cooperating to get some buildings and food supply set up :) ... A bit of competition, either politically, or economically, or militarily, does make the game a bit more exciting :) ... But interesting episodes have occured. I only know a few - I observe far from everything in the game - but Lad's territorial expansion, Tircqi temporary dictatorship by a crazy queen, Brunoi's dictatorship, turbulent affairs around Krif, Drojf and Seatown, etc. - all interesting episodes in Cantr history.

What other really cool episodes am I missing? :)
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:12 pm

Hmmm...I think you listed most of the really interesting episodes, all the ones I know of anyway. But all those things were created by chars going to the extremes...not many chars get very far doing that if they don't have major resources backing them...compare for intense Maynard vs. Richard Cromwell...Maynard had the KSF, Richard had a bunch of pissed off miners...but the main requirement for major stuff like this to happen is for a looney toon taking control of an advanced area...like what if Siom, Quil, or Alenz Hills started adding territory? What ever happened to the guy in Brunoi?
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:20 pm

Quill taking territory? Who says they aint already :wink: :twisted:
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:43 pm

lol...they're safe as long as they stay friends with Siom :wink:
Pirog

Postby Pirog » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:03 pm

Many of the expansionist governments have been too eager, and thus badly prepared.

For example Lad.
They occupied Naron but, the guards there have huge problems even with a single person with a sabre and an iron shield.

Ryan McConnel of Brunoi was also on the way to Tircqi with an army only a couple of days after his coup in Brunoi...but that man seemed messed up, I don't even know if he wanted to be a dicator or if he just wanted to play God for as long as possible :)
jeslange

Postby jeslange » Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:32 am

:twisted:
ephiroll

Postby ephiroll » Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:10 am

Pirog wrote:Many of the expansionist governments have been too eager, and thus badly prepared.

I agree, holding a region that large together also creates problems, at one point or other you run out of people to stand guard somewhere, not to meantion the attention you attract from your neighbors. It's easy to prepare to take a few areas, but it's normally the problems that further arise that make things shaky, it's hard to be prepared for everything.
Yo_Yo

Postby Yo_Yo » Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:27 am

*Chuckles, barely able to contain himself* Sultan Ryan is dead. He was locked in his bike in Brunoi fields. My char left and went on to Brunoi. When he got to Brunoi, he tried to seize power again. A few strong people killed him quickly. He was killed by his own people. Harsh eh?
Vicki Vale: You're insane!
Joker: I thought I was a Pisces!

Return to “General Discussion”