Character images

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Character images

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:18 pm

Would people like to post links into character graphics here? I have some though I haven't scanned them yet. I've seen portraits in game but people can't always see them (for example the pics in MacGregor library). Still, when you run into a person in game you obviously see what they look like even if no one hands you a note with their picture..

Edit: Pictures of my characters are located in the address:
http://b0h.tripod.com/cantr/
Last edited by SekoETC on Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not-so-sad panda
AoM

Postby AoM » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:16 pm

That'd be nice, except that I'm probably neither art, nor net-savvy enough to be able to aquire pics that best suit my characters.

~AoM
sammigurl61190

Postby sammigurl61190 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:47 pm

Well, there could be people (like me) who work in Poser and Photoshop--maybe rendering pictures of characters from scratch?
AoM

Postby AoM » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:13 pm

Then only people with l33t skillz like you can get character pics...

I'd feel sad and left out. :cry:
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:10 am

sammigurl61190 wrote:Well, there could be people (like me) who work in Poser and Photoshop--maybe rendering pictures of characters from scratch?

But I doubt you want to be making graphics for characters, except your own (without a price ;) $$$ ) which doesn't solve the bigger problem. I find pulling them off from well known 'perfect' actors/actresses (Glen Morangie) just lame.
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:39 am

I've always thought creating faces for characters that can only be seen through a note containing a painting wasn't exactly in keeping with the game structure.
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
1959 Apache

Postby 1959 Apache » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:11 am

The Industriallist wrote:I've always thought creating faces for characters that can only be seen through a note containing a painting wasn't exactly in keeping with the game structure.

A note with a portrait isn't the only way to see a character's face. I have mental pictures of most of the people my characters deal with. The portrait just records it. You've got to see it from the character's point of view. The portrait is exactly what the character sees, assuming the artist did a good job. It might be different from what you the player expected.

I do agree that pics of famous people is as lame as famous names. There are literally millions of pics on the web of just anybodies to choose from, and it would be a better choice.

Besides, this is truly Theater of the Mind, even more so than radio. Your imagination is greater than any other force of nature, anything is possible.
If you drive an old Chevy, you're all right by me!
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:35 am

But a portrait effectively defines the character's appearance, without actually being based on any solid information.

What if there were two contradictory portraits?

-A subway preacher
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:43 am

The Industriallist wrote:But a portrait effectively defines the character's appearance, without actually being based on any solid information.

What if there were two contradictory portraits?

Well thats art, and maybe 2 interpretations by 2 different states of minds?

Wouldn't expect you to go figure, being the 'industriallist' n all.
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:52 am

But totally different hairstyles, racial types, eye colors, etc. can't be reconciled gthat way, unless you really stretch artistic license. If someone is painted as blonde by one artist and black-haired by another, what can you say?

NiTeFyRe wrote:Wouldn't expect you to go figure, being the 'industriallist' n all.

I sense...hostility.

-A subway preacher
1959 Apache

Postby 1959 Apache » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:23 am

I would say that one of the artists is a fraud. Everyone would know which is the accurate depiction, especially the character it is supposed to be. Show both to him and he can easily identify the fake.

On the other hand, there could be a lighting issue that could make a difference in how someone looked, but not a radical difference.

It could be the artist's form of expression....changing some or all parts of a person's appearance in the name of art.

Maybe the person changed his apperance in an attempt to disguise himself.

This is really splitting hairs in a text based game. You have to have some leeway with certain things. If a character says he looks a certain way, then that is a fact. Unless that is the case, anything goes. I have a character who is overweight and tells people so. If an artist depicts him as slim, that would be wrong.
If you drive an old Chevy, you're all right by me!
cantrpotatoe

No pictures...

Postby cantrpotatoe » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:03 am

I like it better without images .... I like the idea of judging someone by their personality.. just like it should be in real life... that way everyone has a chance to succeed and make friends easily..
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:16 am

The Industriallist wrote:What if there were two contradictory portraits?

I ran into sort that of problem when another character was trying to mine's portrait. I hated the pic, made her look like an old maid, so after the second try, she said...."that's not really a very good likeness. Let me have a try* And found a much more pleasing picture.

I like having portrait images in game. It adds some realism to it. It's too bad one of the most famous Cantr artists passed away, before he could do my chars portrait. :( Cantr needs more artists.
TheTheorist

Postby TheTheorist » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:39 pm

I've been a graphic designer for years. So I'll be well up for doing portraits. Here's one I made earlier. I wanted it to look like a drawing on parchment that my character gave to the recipient. I'd do all future ones the same.

The problems you will encounter is that the characters don't wear/use the clothes/items shown if using stolen images (I've got too much on 2 draw and scan!). So if a image is given it could only show the face. But I'd be up for making Icon sized (64x64) pics of all my chars. I know how they all look in my head.[/img]
"The only way to predict the future... is to invent it" -Alan Kay
nitefyre

Postby nitefyre » Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:56 pm

TheTheorist wrote:I've been a graphic designer for years. So I'll be well up for doing portraits. Here's one I made earlier. I wanted it to look like a drawing on parchment that my character gave to the recipient. I'd do all future ones the same.

The problems you will encounter is that the characters don't wear/use the clothes/items shown if using stolen images (I've got too much on 2 draw and scan!). So if a image is given it could only show the face. But I'd be up for making Icon sized (64x64) pics of all my chars. I know how they all look in my head.[/img]

No hositility Industriallist. Subtle point unmade. :)

Whoa, that image is awesome Theoristman. Cool stuff.

I also have an idea of what my char's look like.

Return to “General Discussion”