Thank You For Playing with Me

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

masterekat

Thank You For Playing with Me

Postby masterekat » Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:03 pm

Hey all. :D I’ve been a little active on the Discord, but I wanted to leave a message here too, just because I’m of the generation who had forums make up so much of their online social lives while coming of age, that I don’t want to see them die out forever. I know it’s been quiet here, but in case anyone still checks and is interested in forum discussion…

I’ve been back into the world of Cantr for a little over a month now, and I must say, it’s been amazing so far! I took an eleven year hiatus. (Crazy to think it’s really been that long!) I went through several rounds in high school and college though, with the first being not long after the 1000s and the most recent long-term play being in the 3000s. I quit not long after my favorite character’s partner died of heart attack. They had sailed around together for about 3 RL years, and the death really got to me as a player. I remember going into the bathroom at work to cry when I found out about it. It was sad lol. :oops: Honestly took me a while to get over, and I still think of them from time to time.

I want to thank you all (and your characters) for welcoming me and mine back into the game again. Obviously, everyone plays for their own reasons, but I really am appreciating coming back after all this time and seeing things still going strong in game. I know player base is smaller, but this past month made me feel like the game is better than ever. All these “new” (to me) mechanics I’ve never gotten to play with before, like weather, animal domestication, railways, time ticks faster than 3 hours long, and custom descriptions on more than just a few things like ship figureheads. It’s been awesome! Plus I feel like the veteran players’ RP skills have just gotten better and better in the time that I was gone. I hope that I can catch up pretty quickly!

As you can see from my previous experience playing, I understand that this game can be heartbreaking and disappointing sometimes when people leave. Once again, I appreciate the level of commitment from players that have been here for years. It’s hard for me to imagine because I don’t think I was -that- kind of player that was memorable at all, but if I hurt anyone when my last set of characters died, I’m truly sorry. When I quit last time, it wasn’t just the in-game reasons… I had a lot going on in real life too. I was starting grad school, planning a wedding, and working on moving into a new place. Now I’ve been married for 10 years and I’m done having kids, just overall kind of feeling stagnant, bored, and - OLD - while watching my little ones, waiting for them to be the age where they can start kindergarten, and I’m also working from home full-time from week to week for what feels like endlessly, haha. Lockdown never quite ended for me, it seems.

It’s been a breath of fresh air going back and picking up a hobby that I really enjoyed when I was young, and a nice little escape from being stuck in my tiny RL world atm, so I thank you all for being there for me. :D

I know one of the things that would trip me up in the past was ending up with too many characters. I’d get overwhelmed and stressed by too many events and log in less and less, so this time I’m intentionally taking it slow. I told myself I needed to wait a Cantr year in between each new one. Technically I could spawn another now if I wanted by that rule, but after sitting on the decision for that long, I’ve decided I have enough right now and I would rather put my limited time and energy into developing the ones I have more than I ever did in the past. I’m intending on being here for a long haul, and looking forward to the journey ahead!
Sunni Daez

Re: Thank You For Playing with Me

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:27 am

I've been back for about 2 months now.

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:29 pm

Yay! It makes me happy seeing others come back too. How are you finding it compared to in the past?
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:44 am

Not as busy, but interesting. Found a character I knew from before, found a monument to one of mine old ones. Seen a ship that was built by one of my first ones, name remains the same .

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Bran-Muffin

Postby Bran-Muffin » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:25 pm

Been back about the same as Sunni now, first started paying in the 300s!
Wasindear
GAB Member/ProgD Chair/GM Member

Postby Wasindear » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:41 pm

I'm the opposite, I've only been playing since late 6000s, its so interesting hearing about all the things that have changed xD
No weather, no windows, and so on. What's peoples thoughts on the oddest thing that cantr didn't used to have? (or still doesn't)
Wasindear
GAB Member/ProgD Chair/GM Member

Postby Wasindear » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:42 pm

Buuut, also in it for the long haul :P I've yet to have a character death and not planning on any, gonna get all mine to extrememly ancient xDD
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:20 pm

Sunni Daez wrote:Seen a ship that was built by one of my first ones, name remains the same .

Oh that must have been so cool! There is one galleon that I would probably have to stop everything for if I saw it, called Abaft the Waves. :lol:

Bran-Muffin wrote:Been back about the same as Sunni now, first started paying in the 300s!

Dang, that was so early! So you also remember the 200 minute limit lol. Glad you’re back!

Wasindear wrote:What's peoples thoughts on the oddest thing that cantr didn't used to have? (or still doesn't)

I thought about this for a while to make sure I’d come up with the best answer, and I’ve finally got it: not being able to cancel in progress projects was the -worst-, especially if you just misclicked on the amount or something!

Return to “General Discussion”