Time for new leadership in Cantr!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Time for new leadership in Cantr!

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:37 am

Dear fellow Cantr player,

Eighteen years ago I started to work on Cantr to get an online replacement for my long-standing lego game with a friend. We had developed a complicated lego world, with elaborate economics, politics, news media, banking systems, etcetera, but we needed more players and we had a strictly limited supply of building materials. The solution was to go online, create a virtual world with unlimited resources and potentially unlimited numbers of players. My lack of graphic and artistic skills then required the development of a text-based game, and Cantr was born. Since then, Cantr has evolved into a very different animal from what I imagined - but it has also been much more successful than I ever expected.

Not long after getting Cantr online, and attracting the first players, it became clear I needed help operating the game. Over the years, many volunteers came to help out with programming, game design, marketing, translation, policing game rules, communication strategies, and eventually even with organising the volunteer staff itself. These volunteer contributions allowed Cantr to continually evolve and to stay strictly free to play, which was always an important priority.

Cantr would not have been a success without all their work - and that of their many predecessors over the years. And I want to take this opportunity to express my deep gratitude for all this dedication!

As some of you may be aware, I have been largely absent from Cantr administration for many years now, and while in the past year I have tried to get more engaged again, I do not have the time or energy to really make the impact I want to make when I am involved. For this reason, I believe it is time to hand the game administration chair position and disengage from the game.

While many have made a great contribution to the game, one person among current staff stands out to me in terms of his long-term contribution to the game, his calm and balanced approach to any problems around Cantr staff or among players, his thorough interest in developments in all aspects of the game, and the fact that his vision of the game and its administration is really similar to my own. I have therefore decided to hand over full ownership of the game to Joshua Mathias (Joshuamonkey). In the terminology of the current Cantr Constitution, he will be the "representative" of the "Game Founder".

I am ending my engagement with Cantr effective immediately - except for a behind the scenes handover of technical aspects of game ownership.

I am confident that Cantr will have a bright future under Joshua's leadership and with its great volunteer staff and I wish the game all the best!

Jos
Alladinsane

Re: Time for new leadership in Cantr!

Postby Alladinsane » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:40 am

Thanks for everything you passed down Jos and enjoy your newfound freedom!
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Owlette
Game Mechanics Member

Postby Owlette » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:46 am

It takes a big person to step down from something they have nurtured for so long. Thank you for such a great game that many have enjoyed.

And congrats JoshuaMonkey! I look forward to seeing where the game goes under your leadership. I look forward to working with you.
Money

Postby Money » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:04 am

I'm going to post something later, but I couldn't let this sit here until then. Huge hat off to you Jos. This game may not have turned out as expected, but I hope you realize how much it has come to mean to the players. Thank you for everything you've done.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks for your efforts and all the time you spent for giving us a unique game. It's a kind of strange feeling for many of us, but I understand your reasons.
I wish you the best in this new period.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:40 am

Thanks for providing the 'Big Bang' which created the Cantr universe, Jos, and for being the guiding hand behind the realities of so many character's lives for so long. Every player knows what a unique and powerful experience Cantr is and will continue to be. You invented something truly special.

Now we enter an exciting, new era with a new leader. Yay, JoshuaMonkey! Thanks for stepping up.

I'm not playing right now but I plan to start again as soon as I am able to give my characters the time and attention they deserve. I can't wait to see how things might change and I look forward to being able to help with some of the staff responsibilities in the future.
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:14 pm

I will repeat myself from Staff forum. Best wishes for you Jos and for Joshua. And thank you for your years of work for Cantr. This game changed a lot in my life.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880

Return to “General Discussion”