Mystery Solved: cantr clock and geography

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

viktor

Mystery Solved: cantr clock and geography

Postby viktor » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:06 pm

so, I know for ages we have wondered, how is cantr designed as a celestial object, how does all the dynamics make sense, well, I finally made sense of them

an idea tossed around before about cantr being shaped, possibly like a donut, absolutely true. this is the only shape that would allow for us to sail the map the way we do, no other shape allows for this.

then there's how the clock works, how does the entire planed have the same time everywhere? the solution is, cantr, like endor, orbits a gas giant planet, cantrs parent planet is a while gas giant that it orbits fairly close to, a planet that reflects all the light received by the star thus lighting up the side of cantr facing away from the star, the day and night cycle is caused by cantrs tight fast orbit around the parent planet resulting in a daily total lunar eclipse giving night.

and now... how could such a thing have formed in the universe, what could possibly explain such an odd shape as well as such a tight stable perfect orbit around the gas giant? simple... in ancient pre-history long before day 0, an advanced alien civilization constructed a donut shaped artificial moon in orbit around the gas giant, and instead of living inside a structure, they made is large and massive enough to generate gravity by mass instead of centripetal force, and it's massive enough to hold an atmosphere, but through the millennia this ancient alien race either died out, or moved on, allowing natural evolution on cantr.. or they purposefully seeded the station, the latter seems likely due to the original spawning locations once and in some cases still scattered over the planet, where people on earth end up walking in or sucked into and popping out on cantr, thus the language zones, this also explains how in the 'beginning' one could get iron right from the ground, it was the station they were mining, then through decay, al the iron reverted to hematite/magnetite/etc..

though the makers had great advanced technology, nobody is perfect, as we can see by the unstable event that destroyed the global radio network, caused likely by a comet or asteroid that came too close to the gas giant and broke up from the gravitational stresses spreading some kind of non-lethal radioactive dust throughout cantrs orbit

perhaps this odd shape is also why aircraft cannot be invented, the atmospheric turbulence grounding any attempts at flight.

or perhaps the alien makers are still here, intentionally keeping the people of cantr below a certain technological level, stopping radios and air flight be cause they don't want our people to ever achieve space flight and discover their alien overlords.
ToxikCoffee

Re: Mystery Solved: cantr clock and geography

Postby ToxikCoffee » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:08 pm

Everything makes sense! :shock: This actually makes perfect sense! Wonderful job here Viktor!
"My most traumatizing moment was being stuck in a cage without ice cream. Also I eat my hamburgers like I eat my hockey pucks."
redRob

Postby redRob » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:27 pm

As a lover of sci-fi this was a fun read. Nice one!
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:57 am

NICE!
*slow claps*
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:08 am

Re: time:
Cantr takes after China and deliberately adopted only one time zone despite its range of wakeful times.

Also I think the sun is in the center of the torus rather than the torus orbiting around the sun. It's a very small and weak sun but it still gives off a radiation that causes some susceptible characters to sleep to death. And maybe the alien overlords live there, not so far away like we all think.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:32 pm

This is perfect, thank you. I knew the donut shape part but the rest was up in the air. It's also funny, so people in game refer to the sun, especially now that we have weather to prove it's "sunny". But also they sometimes refer to the moon, like a deity, and that confused me because nothing in the game alludes to a moon, so it felt like the moon was an ooc projection of earthlings.

But this way, the moon could be referring to the glowing white planet we orbit amd mistaking it for the moon. In the day, it's mistaken by one side of cantr as the sun, because everyone sees day on both sides. But at night when we're being eclipsed, some people look up and see a darker but possibly still pale and visible, planet in the sky that is not the sun, people call it the moon and other people like my own characters might not know what people are referring to, having never seen it where they live, or just because it's too dark to see at night. And it's funny because we are actually the moon, calling out anchor planet our moon. Some day someone will spawn to claim we orbit around the moon and both of us orbit a sun and they'll be called heretics.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Rocket Frog

Postby Rocket Frog » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:24 pm

I'm more on the hollow sphere shape idea.

Like Pryan, from the Death Gate Cycle. The world of fire; it was a hollow sphere with inverted gravity. All the life was inside the planet, and everything was pushed away against it's surface's borders instead of attracted towards the center.

Pryan had four suns inside the planet, and no seasons. Cantr, instead, could have a single sun that transits making an circled orbit inside the planet. And with this transit, it makes the seasons. When it approaches some place, slowly, that zone becomes warmer. When it recedes, the zone becomes colder.

At the Death Gate Cycle, Pryan's stars were visible at naked eye in the sky (even when it was day all the time, since the sun never "hides" there). Those stars were other cities, at the other side of the planet, and the people there used them navigate across the planet.

Return to “General Discussion”