Keep Cantr Alive!!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

ToxikCoffee

Keep Cantr Alive!!

Postby ToxikCoffee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:28 pm

We must keep Cantr alive! I've heard it isnt nearly as active as it used to be. If this is true, I am willing to advertise to attract a larger playerbase and keep our Cantr going strong! Who is with me?! :D
"My most traumatizing moment was being stuck in a cage without ice cream. Also I eat my hamburgers like I eat my hockey pucks."
Wolfsong

Re: Keep Cantr Alive!!

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Advertising and marketing is something the staff who run the game should be considering. This game used to have 2000+ players. Now it has 250(?) or so. It is beyond players posting in a few forums or discord chats.
Optimus Christ

Postby Optimus Christ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Good Luck.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:11 pm

I'm with you ToxikCoffee. :D

A staff member recently offered to help fund Cantr advertisements. I think we'll see more players that way at least once it's running.

Wolfsong wrote:It is beyond players posting in a few forums or discord chats.

Lots of players have come to Cantr through forum posts, etc. It's not that it's not effective, but that there's no one doing it on a daily basis, or enough people doing it.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
ToxikCoffee

Postby ToxikCoffee » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:14 am

Joshuamonkey wrote:I'm with you ToxikCoffee. :D

A staff member recently offered to help fund Cantr advertisements. I think we'll see more players that way at least once it's running.

Wolfsong wrote:It is beyond players posting in a few forums or discord chats.

Lots of players have come to Cantr through forum posts, etc. It's not that it's not effective, but that there's no one doing it on a daily basis, or enough people doing it.

Awesome, glad to know someone agrees! :D

I'll try advertising on forum sites I am a member on. Hopefully this'll grow the playerbase again!
"My most traumatizing moment was being stuck in a cage without ice cream. Also I eat my hamburgers like I eat my hockey pucks."
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:42 am

The majority of the Portuguese speakers that I saw in the last few years came to Cantr following a link from a review about freeware RPG in a blog that shows up easily in Google.
ToxikCoffee

Postby ToxikCoffee » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:30 am

muidoido wrote:The majority of the Portuguese speakers that I saw in the last few years came to Cantr following a link from a review about freeware RPG in a blog that shows up easily in Google.

That is interesting. I've advertised on a roleplay forum already, since Cantr II is also a roleplay. I'm trying to advertise on sites with audiences that may have an interest in roleplay and simulation ^^

What's the blog called, if you're fine with me asking? ^^
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:12 am

ToxikCoffee wrote:What's the blog called, if you're fine with me asking? ^^

https://br.ccm.net/faq/16165-jogos-gratuitos-online-simuladores-da-vida-cotidiana

I don't know why does it get so much high in Google search, but it works. One or two years ago, we had a HUGE influx of players from that article. It even had a wrong information in the text and after only one e-mail, the author fixed it for us. Very nice.
ToxikCoffee

Postby ToxikCoffee » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:53 am

muidoido wrote:
ToxikCoffee wrote:What's the blog called, if you're fine with me asking? ^^

https://br.ccm.net/faq/16165-jogos-gratuitos-online-simuladores-da-vida-cotidiana

I don't know why does it get so much high in Google search, but ti works. One or two years ago, we had a HUGE influx of players from that article. It even had a wrong information in the text and after only one e-mail, the author fixed it for us. Very nice.

Thank you!
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:45 pm

I agree! The game isn't dead yet, and I think we have the chance to bring more people in. There are two major elements that I personally believe we would require, however.

Firstly, marketing. Cantr needs to advertise like crazy. Individual players can do that, however, in the long term, paid advertisements and whatnot are what will stick. I know the game is free. I do believe that offering certain options- like paid additional character slots- would be beneficial.

Secondly, the game also really needs to be in a constant state of improvement and development. Marosia is a fantastic example, and Cantr really ought to follow the same model. I know the programmers work for free. That could be solved by opening a Patreon page, or some other crowdfunding campaign.

However, in order for anything to happen, those in charge need to make these decisions. Cantr is still a great game, and I still enjoy playing regularly.
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:42 am

ToxikCoffee wrote:Thank you!

Any ideas? Are you trying something like that?
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:46 am

Interesting discussion - keep this going, as there are some interesting points!

One of the things I always thought would help - but didn't really know how to encourage - is to get more publications about Cantr, like blog entries or articles in magazines. This can help - like the Portuguese blog shows - but it also gives leverage to claim Cantr is a real unique game - for example, our English-language Wikipedia page was removed eventually because there were not enough external references to the game. So we need those kinds of publications also to create a Wikipedia page, which also increases Google search hits.
ToxikCoffee

Postby ToxikCoffee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:16 am

muidoido wrote:
ToxikCoffee wrote:Thank you!

Any ideas? Are you trying something like that?

Yes, I'm advertising on roleplay forums.

Jos Elkink wrote:Interesting discussion - keep this going, as there are some interesting points!

One of the things I always thought would help - but didn't really know how to encourage - is to get more publications about Cantr, like blog entries or articles in magazines. This can help - like the Portuguese blog shows - but it also gives leverage to claim Cantr is a real unique game - for example, our English-language Wikipedia page was removed eventually because there were not enough external references to the game. So we need those kinds of publications also to create a Wikipedia page, which also increases Google search hits.

Where could we start for external references? I like this idea!
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:20 am

ToxikCoffee wrote:Where could we start for external references? I like this idea!

Well, players of Cantr presumably are also subscribed to various blogs or read magazines about games or language learning or... etc. - so you should think of what you read and whether there is one that might be interested in a post about Cantr. And then write one! ;-)
ToxikCoffee

Postby ToxikCoffee » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:52 am

Jos Elkink wrote:
ToxikCoffee wrote:Where could we start for external references? I like this idea!

Well, players of Cantr presumably are also subscribed to various blogs or read magazines about games or language learning or... etc. - so you should think of what you read and whether there is one that might be interested in a post about Cantr. And then write one! ;-)

I love this idea! Thanks; I may try it!

Return to “General Discussion”