I just want to say something

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

miirkaelisaar

I just want to say something

Postby miirkaelisaar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:57 am

When I'm at the end of my rope, sometimes, some days, this game is all that keeps me going. Sometimes real life hurts so much I don't want anything to do with it anymore, and I only stay because I remind myself that if I die all my lovely characters' stories are over. I know it's pathetic and I should focus on real life, but sometimes this is seriously all I have left, to pretend I'm someone else living a simple life who doesn't destroy everything they touch.

I'm sorry, I'm being really depressing, but I know a lot of people think Cantr is "dying" or ending and I want to say that this game has saved my life many times, because my own life was just too much to face anymore, but cantr was still worth living for, and feeling like those lives I created still need me to run them is sometimes the only single thing left to talk myself out of it.

And I really love and appreciate all your characters, whether my characters personally like them or not, it means a lot that people still play, I don't want cantr to ever end, even though sad things happen good things do also and there are fun times, sometimes my characters don't talk a lot or do the bare minimum because I'm just in too much pain, but I'll always try to be here.. Thanks to everyone who makes cantr the beautiful word it is, I know I'm kind of a loser but cantr gives me some tiny purpose so I don't feel like just giving up. Thank you for letting me be a part of this world.
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
Rmak

Re: I just want to say something

Postby Rmak » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:15 am

Honestly, you need a support network that is not a browser-based game. Appreciate its easy to devolve into games to make life's problems seem a distant memory, but these problems won't go away by ignoring them. Real people who can listen to whatever is going on in your life can and will help you, just reach out to them.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:10 am

+1 Rmak's statement. Virtual worlds are not adequate coping methods for a shitty RL, and things can rebound badly if you escape from problems without dealing with them in some capacity.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 am

Lots of people have various reasons why it's difficult or even impossible to develop a RL support network. It isn't even that unusual these days. Also, different kinds of support groups, on or offline, fill different needs. It's easy to say, "Just go and find people to support you" but very difficult for some people to do and you guys should be more sensitive to that reality.

I was hoping that Cantr would be a pleasant distraction from the stresses of everyday life. It didn't work out that way for me partly because I found that the in game social interactions were too much like real life and caused stresses of their own. I can totally see how they would be a much needed place of refuge for a lot of people, though. Everybody needs a place where they can go to take their minds off of other stuff.

I'm actually such a nerd that listening to music or podcasts while solving complex number puzzles is what really calms me down and relaxes me.

Even though I'm not playing anymore, I'm totally behind the concept of Cantr and I hope it manages to survive for a long time. I still think that a robust forum is one of the keys to keeping Cantr alive, so everybody post your little hearts out. I'll probably show up to contribute my two-cents worth of opinion occasionally.

miirkaelisaar, I think it's awesome that you expressed how important Cantr is to you. I bet you would be surprised at how many people feel much the same way about their characters. And I bet the staff are really glad to know that the time they put into making Cantr work is truly appreciated in such an important way. I hope you will post more on the forums, miirkaelisaar, and help to develop a supportive community here, as well. Several people have sent me private messages of support and friendship in the last couple of days and that has meant a lot to me. Community is where ever you can find it.
Last edited by PaintedbyRoses on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:35 am

Don't get me wrong, support networks can and are formed online - but there's a difference between being online as yourself, and being online playing characters in a fictional universe. It's the latter that is unhealthy, and causes more problems than it solves.
Moonflame

Postby Moonflame » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:26 am

I am editing my post to more accurately explain my opinion. I would instead like to note that I do not agree with this forum being used for this nature of thread.
Last edited by Moonflame on Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"There are precious few at ease
with moral ambiguities
and so we act as though they don't exist"
Estaar

Postby Estaar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:33 pm

[edit] It is naive to believe that whoever read what I had posted here understood that I posted it in my personal name and not as a PD member. Which is why I have decided to remove it completely.
Stranger in a strange land.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:34 am

miirkaelisaar, it is of course nice to read that you appreciate the game and that it can be a much needed distraction from real life at times. It is indeed good for staff also to know that their work is appreciated. So I really agree with what PaintedbyRoses said.

That said, even more important is Rmak's remark, of course, that while online interaction - in roleplaying games to get away from things for a while, and on forums to be able to talk to people - can be very helpful, in the end everyone needs personal contact and real personal support. There are many helplines and support facilities - I don't know where you live or anything else about you, so I cannot point to them directly, but there are always ways to find support. And really, you should reach out. Maybe a game like Cantr can help deal with things in the very short term, but it cannot help you really get through this difficult period in your life - you need support for that, real life, personal, professional support. So reach out to friends and call a helpline, please.

And enjoy Cantr and the community of friends here, of course! :-)

Return to “General Discussion”