Say Your Goodbyes to Cantr Here

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

PaintedbyRoses

Say Your Goodbyes to Cantr Here

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 pm

I tried to find a general Goodbye Cantr thread but only saw ones for players who were obviously well known and had played for a long time. I didn't want to jump on to their threads so I'm making this one for anyone to use who wants to say goodbye without a lot of fuss.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quit Cantr four days ago for reasons which I have discussed ad nauseam in other threads. But mostly, I'm a lazy and not very imaginative role-player and that didn't help my characters much.

This is, indeed, a role-playing game and if a player can't or won't commit to that dynamic, it probably won't be fun or satisfying for them. It took me a while to figure that out and to decide it wasn't the right game for me. I did enjoy the experience, though, and the spirited forum discussions.

I won't list my characters because no one will miss them. Only a few of them even had a chance to interact with any other characters. I was spectacularly unlucky with spawning places.

One very special character will miss one of mine, though, and it breaks my heart. I want the player of that character to know that I am so very sorry.
raspberrytea

Re: Say Your Goodbyes to Cantr Here

Postby raspberrytea » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:42 pm

I'm sorry to see you go, PaintedbyRoses. Thanks for playing with us for the time that you did! <3
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:00 am

I just woke up from a nap where I had this very intense dream involving Cantr. I dreamed that I was working in a shop for tourists that sold Cantr related merchandise such as t-shirts with pictures of famous characters and pillows with Cantr related quotes and things like that. It was very busy with customers trying to pay for their items. I was new and didn't know the prices for things and all of the price tags were either missing or hard to read so I would have to find another clerk to help me with every single thing I would try to ring up. It was very stressful and I don't understand why I would have such a dream now.

Goodbye, Cantr, and fare thee well!
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:05 am

Sad to see such a long time player quit but games are meant to be fun and if not then it's better to stop.

Take care :)
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:43 pm

I would be interested to learn your characters, sometimes even a silent simmer means a lot for his/her friends.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
curious

Postby curious » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:52 pm

PaintedbyRoses wrote:I won't list my characters because no one will miss them. Only a few of them even had a chance to interact with any other characters. I was spectacularly unlucky with spawning places.

There are two sides to this:
1. some people will be genuinely interested... but...
2. if you ever plan on coming back, if your play style involves any kind of quirk... it seems fashionable for some people to want to know these now and, sure, I always bang on about this, to the cosy of your anonymity as a player.

Goodbye, good luck and enjoy your puzzles.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:12 pm

I made my decision about revealing my characters before I quit and I haven't changed my mind. Most of their deaths/bodies were somewhat hidden and to reveal them now would be a breach of the capital rule or whatever it's called.

Trust me, only two of them were the least bit interesting and I think the players who knew them probably already know who they were.
curious

Postby curious » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:24 pm

I am usually pretty happy not to know who I play/played opposite.
I don't blame you.
It's 4 days... that's the only significant rule here in the forums... wait 4 days before posting in-game events... even though 4 days might just be a short conversation between characters (it's a daft arbitrary number that is totally unreasonable in some cases). The capital rule is the rule that prevents (or is supposed to prevent) players from using this information to alter in-game outcomes... and, in the cases of reporting deaths I suppose, should the 4 day rule be inadequate.

I don't know if you'll be a miss in the game. I don't know who you played.
I hope you stay around the forum. I have enjoyed arguing with you in the past.
Surly

Postby Surly » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:22 am

It's 15 years since I first joined Cantr (and a week shy of 15 years since I joined this forum), so I'm going to indulge a bit here.

I was a teenager when I first joined - I am now a qualified professional, a senior manager in a listed business managing a team of people. I have come a long, long way since that first login in the college library. Ultimately it is the combination of powerful nostalgia and real world timesinks that led me away from Cantr. I sunk months of my life (in total - years of several hours a day) into the game and I got a lot out of it. The game taught me a lot about conflicts, about politics and tribalism that are still relevant lessons for me now. I did a lot of growing up with and in Cantr.

I still find the concept of Cantr appealing, although I lack the heart & commitment to start again. If I could resurrect one of my old characters, I think I'd enjoy that immensely. But no matter - it may be goodbye to Cantr, but I'm never going to forget it. Thank you to all the people I interacted with: Jos, RKLenseth, Doug, the Conleys, Colonel, Sunni, Sam, Brandon... everyone else, any and all of you, thank you for the impact you made on me!
Formerly known as "The Surly Cantrian"
Former CD chair, former MD chair, former RD member, former Personnel Officer, former GAB member.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:55 am

Bye everyone!

Leaving again, this time it's probably for good.

I haven't had the time or energy to even remotely have my characters take part in gameplay for a long time now. I've been feeling bad for everyone else that have had expectations in my characters, and me feeling bad just have to stop. I came back this time hoping to do some staff work in the background, but that didn't happen.

It has been a long and eventful journey, with a lots of fun, but also a lot of (staff) work, some of which has not been so fun. But all in all the game has been part of my life for over a decade, and it is a bit sad to finally definitely leave. This time I hit the X, so this time there will be no chars left behind for anyone to feed for years, like the last time. I can't believe I had three of my oldest chars still alive when I got back after being gone over a year... :)

Take care everyone.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:51 am

You have always been someone I appreciated and respected, it's sad to see you're leaving. I hope this decision leads you to more inner peace and comfort. Thanks for everything you did for Cantr, you'll be
always remembered.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Really sad to see you go :(
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:40 pm

This is a sad day... :cry:
Mojo

Postby Mojo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 pm

I soooo get the moment you have to walk away, but let us not forget...this is a trying game mentally,emotionally, and physically. These creatures become part of you and if you don't have the heart because of something else, let it go. I've played sick, in the middle of a family dinner, lost out on other things I could have done to save some nonsense that in reality doesn't matter. Go with peace and may we see you again.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:44 pm

Goodbye from me too, folks. I'll post something more in a few days.

Return to “General Discussion”