Ways of playing music in Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

raspberrytea

Ways of playing music in Cantr

Postby raspberrytea » Sun May 20, 2018 1:28 am

I'm very curious about how people "play" music in-game. To what degree do you RP your music-playing? Do you provide the key? Chords? Notes? Does anyone give real-life references to what the music sounds like so players have an idea? Do you even care, besides "So-and-so played some music, it was nice"?

What's the etiquette as far as recording music / lyrics into notes? Do you prefer just writing them down, or is there anyone out there actually writing the notes out for others?
PaintedbyRoses

Re: Ways of playing music in Cantr

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Sun May 20, 2018 4:08 am

I've seen some very elaborate descriptions of both the music produced by an instrument and the singing along with it. Tone, volume, musical genre, emotional content, etc. are described as they change with every line of the song. Hats off to those amazing role-players who put so much effort into making the game rich with detail.

Here's an example I saw (not mine) that I don't think gives away anything important to the game and I guess it will get edited if it does. [I adjusted some of the spacing to make it easier to read]:

"*This song has no intro, the singer starts up immediately. The singer starts high, going up on one syllable and down on the next, and then going an octave lower on the next line then going an octave higher on the next. For the chorus the singers voice climbs up every syllable then drops and climbs up again. The guitar matches the notes, but one octave higher and lower at the same time. The tempo is slow *Sometimes I wish upon a star // Lay in with you in the dark // And you make things not so hard // I wish I could be with you // All day long your love is true // We could be lost in the ocean blue // I begin to see // That the best place for me // Is in your arms, in your heart // I just want you to know // Your givin me hope // In your arms, in your heart // And I never wanna let you go go go, I never wanna let you go // We'll travel far away //Kiss you lots and lots every day // When I look into your eyes // I see your my lovely prize // And you'll never tell me lies // I begin to see // That the best place for me // Is in your arms, in your heart // I just want you to know // Your givin me hope // In your arms, in your heart // And I never wanna let you go go go, I never wanna let you go // I never need anything // Nothing that you cannot bring // So together we can sing // Reality fades away // Every time you say // I love you more and more every single day// "

I haven't seen actual musical notation portrayed during a performance and I think that's a good decision since relatively few could read them. If a song were written into a note, though, I think musical notation would be great. Rather than trying to program it with HTML or something, I would write out everything using Photoshop (or even Paint is capable of doing this, especially if you can find a font for musical notes) and then put the image of the song into the game note just like any other image.
sky

Postby sky » Sun May 20, 2018 5:16 am

PaintedbyRoses wrote:I've seen some very elaborate descriptions of both the music produced by an instrument and the singing along with it. Tone, volume, musical genre, emotional content, etc. are described as they change with every line of the song. Hats off to those amazing role-players who put so much effort into making the game rich with detail.

Here's an example I saw (not mine) that I don't think gives away anything important to the game and I guess it will get edited if it does. [I adjusted some of the spacing to make it easier to read]:

"*This song has no intro, the singer starts up immediately. The singer starts high, going up on one syllable and down on the next, and then going an octave lower on the next line then going an octave higher on the next. For the chorus the singers voice climbs up every syllable then drops and climbs up again. The guitar matches the notes, but one octave higher and lower at the same time. The tempo is slow *Sometimes I wish upon a star // Lay in with you in the dark // And you make things not so hard // I wish I could be with you // All day long your love is true // We could be lost in the ocean blue // I begin to see // That the best place for me // Is in your arms, in your heart // I just want you to know // Your givin me hope // In your arms, in your heart // And I never wanna let you go go go, I never wanna let you go // We'll travel far away //Kiss you lots and lots every day // When I look into your eyes // I see your my lovely prize // And you'll never tell me lies // I begin to see // That the best place for me // Is in your arms, in your heart // I just want you to know // Your givin me hope // In your arms, in your heart // And I never wanna let you go go go, I never wanna let you go // I never need anything // Nothing that you cannot bring // So together we can sing // Reality fades away // Every time you say // I love you more and more every single day// "

I haven't seen actual musical notation portrayed during a performance and I think that's a good decision since relatively few could read them. If a song were written into a note, though, I think musical notation would be great. Rather than trying to program it with HTML or something, I would write out everything using Photoshop (or even Paint is capable of doing this, especially if you can find a font for musical notes) and then put the image of the song into the game note just like any other image.

Thanks for sharing that sweet song :D
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Sun May 20, 2018 6:06 am

Cause I personally just suck at music I say I play theme or tune like rock or classical :P
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Marlin

Postby Marlin » Sun May 20, 2018 6:25 am

I've done it a few ways... and I think the best way is to write them like a poem, with an intro/interludes that set the pace, sound and style as above.

I've tried making my own lyrics to existing songs so they sound awesome in my head, but it hardly ever transcribes well.

Once upon a time I tried making some midi files for instrumentals. But I couldn't find a good way to add/link them.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Sun May 20, 2018 7:39 am

I haven't actually played any specific music in-game, just done singing (one couplet of lyrics at a time) while emoting the sound-effects (*staccato ruffle*, *high voice*, *pauses a moment*).
The lyrics were adaptations of well-known rl songs, so the listeners may well have heard the accompanying music in their head.
I think ...
Neva

Postby Neva » Sun May 20, 2018 8:36 am

I've composed a very small musical piece for one of my characters who used to play cello, more than a year ago. I RP'd the notes like this, but I'm not sure if the player got it.

*/piano, staccato/ {c(2) d(1/2) c(1/2) b2(1) e(1) b2(1) a2(2) c(1/2) a2(1/2) g(3) f2(2) a2(1/2) f2(1/2) e2(1) a2(1) b2(2) g#2(1/2) a(1/2) c(2) b2(1)} /crescendo, accelerando/ {c(2) e(1/2) c(1/2) b2(1) e(1) b2(1) a2(2)...}*
curious

Postby curious » Sun May 20, 2018 12:02 pm

To be brutally honest? If I see a song in-game portrayed as a single post, like the one cited above? I read past it.
If you really want to 'play' a song or a tune... do it gradually. Give people the chance to interact with it, as it is emerging, let peole talk through it, if needs be... rather than the whole resulting and sycophantic "Ooh... lovely" crap.

I don't hang vinyl on my wall, look at it for a while and then clap. Try and deliver it in a way that is at least believable, let your character suffer the praise and insults before they have ended the song and see how they feel like playing after that?

Describing the 'style, lilt, form of a song would work and then the poetry idea would be best... a few lines at a time.
I don't, beyond the very basic structures of a particular instrument, which can easily be researched) see any use in citing musical notation or theory as some chars will be good musicians without heir players being.

Also... where are all the poor musicians. I have seen a few only. I had a char in the past that couldn't play his flute for crap... but he played it nonetheless, squeaks and just blowing dead notes. He thought he was amazing, in his tone-deafness.
Neva

Postby Neva » Sun May 20, 2018 12:48 pm

curious wrote:To be brutally honest? If I see a song in-game portrayed as a single post, like the one cited above? I read past it.
If you really want to 'play' a song or a tune... do it gradually. Give people the chance to interact with it, as it is emerging, let people talk through it, if needs be... rather than the whole resulting and sycophantic "Ooh... lovely" crap.

I agree with you on the single post criticism. I dislike reading the lyrics like reading an article so huge... Many dots and alternative characters to separate the chorus aren't aesthetic. I'd like to read a song in separate posts, but I've never realized that it's about the hunger for applause. Now it makes sense.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun May 20, 2018 9:39 pm

Usually I break it into verses and choruses with maybe an intro an interlude and a finale thrown in, each in their own speech box. It seems like a natural way of breaking it up.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sun May 20, 2018 11:53 pm

Since I don't actually play instruments myself, I'll describe the tone and sound of the music- or if it's an actual song, I'll describe the manner it's sung in, along with the lyrics.

I also break both up into multiple emotes. I don't like putting a wall of text into the chat log.
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Mon May 21, 2018 3:18 am

This has all been very informative! Thank you! :D

I personally also hate the giant-block-of-text approach, even if the content inside is otherwise lovely. Not a whole lot of fun to interact with.

I've been a bit worried to try RPing music because I haven't played any instruments since middle school, but it seems like all will be fine.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:09 pm

Over the years I saw alot of stuff, most often people would just write lyrics and describe the tempo of the song, if even that.

Arbitrary example:

You done dumped me you biatch!
So I kilt you and made your family watch!

* At this point the song changes from sounding like a love song and the notes get harsh (relatively) *

I ain't neva going to love you no more.
Because you ain't nothin but a dirty rotten... meanie.

The only admonition I would provide (besides the beautiful lyrics I just gave...) is to avoid plagiarism or stanza's that are obviously taken from another source. It tends to show lack of imagination and some players have been offended by it in the past.
I have a few examples, but those people may still be playing and I don't want to identify single characters or players.
Just be creative in what you come up with. I did a country music singer who was not really good at lyrics; I just plucked down some meager stuff that didn't even rhyme (not that a song has to!) and went with it. I at least tried to have some sort of implicit meaning, though it was not always obvious to anyone but me.

I know this is a late reply, but best of luck in it... just have fun!
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:39 pm

I've seen a little bit of everything except for actual notation (or a LilyPond equivalent). Block of text. Broken up by stanza. Broken up by (music qualities) and (lyrics). Beautiful singing. Terrible singing. Lyrics and a link to a reference recording. People who use actual instruments at varying levels. People who improvise their instruments. No instruments at all.

My only pet peeves are these:

Don't put the entire thing in a giant block of text unless it's a solo instrument thing and not overly detailed. I don't want to read walls like that.

If it's a long song with lyrics, for the love of God please don't post reach individual lyric on its own individual post and flood the events log with it.

And of course, please don't plagiarize lyrics.

Parodies are fine imo. Even blatant parodies where the source material is obvious. I write parodies.
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:29 pm

Snickie wrote:Parodies are fine imo. Even blatant parodies where the source material is obvious. I write parodies.

So far every song I've written for Cantr has used an existing melody and I've just rewritten all the lyrics. All the songs I choose are too obscure (for English speakers, anyway) to be put together, though, which I think is a bit unfortunate because I really did put a lot of care into making my lyrics sound good... (cry)

Return to “General Discussion”