I had no idea this was possible

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

cutecuddlydirewolf

I had no idea this was possible

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 am

:shock: We can add images to building names? How?!
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Re: I had no idea this was possible

Postby Bmot » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:20 am

I am not sure, but I am annoyed by it. Like building lists aren't long and messy enough already :roll:
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:57 am

Bmot wrote:I am not sure, but I am annoyed by it. Like building lists aren't long and messy enough already :roll:

Hah, that's true. This one is in a town with a lot of buildings as well.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 am

HTML (img tag) in the description text will probably do. I think this should not be possible, it is disrupting and a possible security risk.
I think ...
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:56 am

Thanks for pointing that out. Will look into it.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:32 am

‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:42 am

Greek wrote:Image

:shock: Is this really bannable?
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:53 pm

cutecuddlydirewolf wrote:
Greek wrote:Image

:shock: Is this really bannable?

Nope. But it's something that needs to be disabled.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:17 pm

Yea, I had no idea that was possible either until I saw it. I have mixed feelings on it. I think it's neat you can do it (and that picture is adorable), but as others said, it just makes navigating the building list harder, so I'm glad it's going to be disabled. I cringe, imagining a scroll through a town with 50 buildings and even just 10 of them with an image.

If it were something that showed up when you clicked the building name (maybe in its own appearance tab, like on character names), that would be nice. Unobtrusive to the function of the building list, but still available. Then again, it's a primarily text driven game and most things are shown through description except in notes, so...

That would be pretty neat for the building descriptions, though. Sometimes I forget to look at those on the location page!
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Once upon a time it was possible to add color, styling and other html tags to dynamic names and notes, but it was disallowed and disabled. I am surprised if some things are still possible to tweak that way, but as was already said it will be disabled soon if so. :)
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:19 pm

I really, really, really, REALLY (did I emphasize that enough?) miss being able to add color (that's all I ever did, no style changes) to character names. :( It made it so much easier to spot the people most pertinent to my characters. I do use Cantr Enhanced at home, but I hate that coloring scheme (besides the fact it resets regularly, and it doesn't help me on a device I don't have it on). It makes me sad every time I look at an old turn report and see the different colors of the ones I changed back then (usually only a couple per character). I hope that changing colors of building names is not disabled, because I really like that, too.

As for notes, it was only disabled on titles, I think? And that was definitely understandable.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Anchal

Postby Anchal » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Bmot wrote:I am not sure, but I am annoyed by it. Like building lists aren't long and messy enough already :roll:

Moreover they are weird too.
Regards,
Anchal
Money

Postby Money » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:01 pm

EchoMan wrote:Once upon a time it was possible to add color, styling and other html tags to dynamic names and notes, but it was disallowed and disabled. I am surprised if some things are still possible to tweak that way, but as was already said it will be disabled soon if so. :)

I think I've seen building names with colour recently. I hope it's changed soon. I get the appeal, but it just makes everything so noisey looking!
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:15 am

I like color being added to things, i just wish you didn't have to use html for it. It should be some kind of consumable where you can mix different resources together to create different hex codes for painting. Being able to add more colors and customizations into the mix gives people more ways to experiment in the game and keep interest. It's unintrusive enough that most players would just get use to it if it was officially supported. I feel like it also breaks up the monotony of the UI. With custom css you could easily force the names to be a single color if you hated it -that- much.

The image is jarring and takes up too much space though. It's not awful as is, but if this became a thing people did often, I would hate it.
viktor

Postby viktor » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:45 am

adding pictured to buildings is quite a messy thing and disabling it would be understandable.. however I hear complaints about adding color to buildings.. it is possible and it should not be disabled, it brings an interesting new element to the game, if colors are bothersome to some, the there can be towns with a uniformity ordinance, suddenly disabling and removing color from buildings and vehicles would be much more displeasing to those who put the in game work and sometimes pay into it.. as well as disrupt in game culture of those places.

Return to “General Discussion”