Prophesies

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MonkeyPants4736

Prophesies

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:43 pm

So, I'm vaguely disappointed that a certain crazy university leader/prophet/blood priestess had every single prophesy come true and nobody seems to even remember. Said the radios would go to crap and islands would be cut off from each other, etc., etc. There seems to be zero continuity of that story line.

Was it poor RP on my part, or is it a Cantrian thing to refuse to accept the supernatural since we as players know it's fake?
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Re: Prophesies

Postby sherman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:19 am

Probably more that it didn't spread out enough. Out of my 15 chars only 2 even knew about it and none of those 2 even knows radio is down at the moment and thus they can't make any conclusion about anything. I think you RPd it well but people are pretty static and don't spread ideologies or religions
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:51 pm

No one seems to remember, because everyone that might care to remember is dead - and everybody else doesn't care. In Cantr, the dead are forgotten days after their bodies are buried, and everything they've done goes with them into oblivion.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:23 pm

I wish any of my characters knew about those prophecies, you would definitely have heard about their reaction by now.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Londonderry

Postby Londonderry » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:46 pm

The radio update was a joke. Ruined a large part of the game. It wasn't abused often.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:19 pm

I guess I wasn't there for that. But I know there were some other prophecy driven storylines after the radio went dark. A couple of my characters got really screwed when the radio change took place so I wasn't really into RPing it very much. But in general I think prophecies work better when they're written down and given some time to take place.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:42 pm

If it is not written down, history doesn't remember it.
The same applies to events.

Who remembers the wars of the Emerald empire?.. only those who were there and mostly it can't be spoken of because the characters who participated are gone. The players (both of them at this point?) don't speak of it for numerous reasons.

Who remembers when the black rocks returned to a certain island and wipe out all competition in a fell swoop on a fleeing galleon at sea? I do, but the char has long since passed (Just sayin). A pretty much bloodless victory that should have been a full war!

A certain unprovoked pirate massacre of a whole town? More than one even.
The building of a wonderful temple and building that many of us explore even today? (who had time to do all this?)
Fancy ships... cars that we can rename with a paintbrush or chisel?

History is pretty much lost except for in the memories of the players who remain. It was before books and other permanent ways to keep things recorded... there are notes that have fallen lost in envelopes held by chars, but they are usually out of context. That was one of the things that bothered me about collecting notes for the U... no context. Now many are just a random sentence or two that nobody knows the origin.

One of the reasons I heard against a reset is that it would erase a whole lot of history. What history?

Very little is left and easily obtainable...destroyed by looters and failure to properly research at the U. I'm sorry that note was lost (or not acknowledged) monkeypants... It was uncanny how much was correct.

If we want to see history preserved, it has to start now. Save your emails... part of the "fun" in history is looking at several accounts and using those to reconstruct what (you think) really happened. Maybe someone will take on that task... but it will be extremely hard and sometimes one missing account will cast doubt on what truly happened! Thats part of the fun too. "Tall tales" that can only be(dis)proven by IC recounts (not ooc turn reports). I doubt its a viable career choice and a year subsequent will never repair some of what was lost in the gathering of literature for the U.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Yuna

Postby Yuna » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:56 am

Several of my characters are writers. I'm still New but thoroughly saving details of everyday life for a giant autobiography when they're old.
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:44 am

Alladinsane wrote:If it is not written down, history doesn't remember it.
If we want to see history preserved, it has to start now. Save your emails... part of the "fun" in history is looking at several accounts and using those to reconstruct what (you think) really happened. Maybe someone will take on that task... but it will be extremely hard and sometimes one missing account will cast doubt on what truly happened! Thats part of the fun too. "Tall tales" that can only be(dis)proven by IC recounts (not ooc turn reports). I doubt its a viable career choice and a year subsequent will never repair some of what was lost in the gathering of literature for the U.

One of my characters, had she known about the prophecies, would have gladly incorporated it into her personal mythologies. While she has a set of gods she believes in, she's pretty open-minded as to what constitutes possible spiritual elements.

As far as saving history... one of my more adventurous characters has been inspired to start writing down her history. And some of it might not be, strictly speaking, accurate. I wish it was easier to research the things that happened before my characters, but as it is... for the most part, I can't do much. Many of my characters with stories more fun to roleplay have passed on, but the wakeful ones can maybe contribute something still.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:30 pm

Many of the events are recorded and remembered, there are still some old characters mentioning of those every now and then. About dead people...That's like a two sided sword. They are not really forgotten and they are a part of the common heritage if they have been fruitful and memorable people. At the other hand show must go on even if you carry a dagger in your character's heart and that feeling doesn't fade at all.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:00 pm

How many can account the Robert Melee' hunt?

It was the biggest news on cantr island when I first joined... a few remember it and several chars are still holding the crossbows he provided. Nothing becomes obsolete if we spend a few hours repairing it. Crossbow (Arguably the best weapon) take the least repair in my experience. Battle axes were not worth repairing until the sharpening stones came along, but I digress. This guy was the biggest (so called) "criminal" of the first 3000 days.

No stories are told.

What about the construction of the constitution of Teregotha? I was there, it was pretty adversarial. Countess Marlie was really pushy...any stories of her?

The many changing governments of a certain city on Fu that was an outpost before that continent got mapped?

More recently... the building of a certain mountain city on Treefeather that was built around a precious metal? I know we have a few still around who were there... but the one document I have seen is total fabrication. Eventually all of this becomes known history though because its all we got!
=====================================

I applaud those who become historians... but even there the accounts are possibly from a single perspective.
In RL it happens too... what about all of the people (who were there!) that claim they heard shots from the grassy knoll? In 25[?]RL years we may know more.

My sole point is not a weakness in the game system, We could have documented lots of stuff and I even have a char with Robert Mele documents and one who was a town leader and contributor to the Teregotha Constitution and also town leader on the fu outpost. All 3 still alive even. If you want to be remembered, write it down. Maybe webzine if the content is approved by PD...maybe notes (that is not usually messed with because its IC).
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:14 am

I remember the Robert Melee hunt, hah. :P I feel like a dinosaur.
Mitch79

Postby Mitch79 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:32 am

LOL So do I Slowness
ManyVoices

Postby ManyVoices » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:24 pm

History can be remembered. It just takes effort.

The Stone Knights are an awesome example of remembering history. They have a full rich history of Notes, created by different historians over the years, as well as by simply collecting the notes of their dead. In fact, the problem the Stone Knights had was that there are so many notes, finding anything useful was quite difficult. Fortunately, last time I played, my knight took the time to index all the notes in their libraries creating a meaningful way to read about the events and knights of yesteryear. I know they still have more documents outside their libraries that could be added and the indexes updated.

So, if you want the history to be remembered, yes, write things down, but also get your towns to build a library or history building, then be willing to spend a little time adding the notes of the dead (and living) into these libraries. It will take some effort to spend a little time finding a good way to index or organize the documents, and characters will need to be willing to update and maintain them as more notes are added, but it can be done. The Stone Knights have proven it true.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:22 pm

A copy of your index is now given to new Knights. I think your char would have been happy for that :)

Return to “General Discussion”