Cantr failed?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Londonderry

Cantr failed?

Postby Londonderry » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:32 pm

I have played cantr off and on for years. But I have not seen it this active for some time. I do see people are a little lazy. No wars not a lot of politics or anything but those who want it so it! Shake it up a little. 15 characters and all are in interesting places . Things are happening. It's not dead. It's a he'll of all of better then it was.
Yuna

Re: Cantr failed?

Postby Yuna » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:07 pm

I just started a couple months ago and I am having so much fun. 15 characters, I think a couple of ours are in the same places. It is rather fun shaking things up.
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 am

Cantr has definitely not failed yet. I can only actively maintain a couple characters at a time, but there are still interesting storylines to be made.
Londonderry

Postby Londonderry » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:05 pm

I find it more busy now. By a lot. And from what I have seen people are moving things a bit now. Good awhile it was role play games and nothing being done. At all in some places.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:22 pm

I've kind of noticed that too and due to the activity I cleared the cobwebs off of some of my characters too lately. :P
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Russian numbers have increased, though they might need a little PD guidance.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
witia1

Postby witia1 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:23 pm

Usually with this kind of thoughts I get one explanation. We expect from Cantr our reality.
Things that are important for us, that shaped us as society. Wars, religion some great ideas.
But Cantr for me is some sort of parallel world that doesn't provide environment for them.
Humans evolved as spices, as society in world that kinda forces us to gather in groups. Also at some level forces us to fight each other.
Due to limited resources, need to provide our self and our offspring best possible conditions. Many external threats to our life.
Maybe this factors this days is not true so much this days but it shaped us in long way of becoming beings that we are now.
Cantr is striped of this layer. It was a bit similar in early days where everything was lacking and there was whole strange world to explore. To big challenge for single cantrian. That boosted this society part. Working together was natural cause it was "optimal solution".
Now this factor is gone we know to well rules of world. We can limit risk for our characters thanks to that. And that influence how we are playing them.
How we are shaping their goals. And that makes cities collections of individual characters but not society. they don't really need each other.
And that make this part "flat". We don't experience this level of "community" because we are faking it.
We feel it as natural part of existence but world of our characters is not similar enough to our to provide environment where it would be true.

Cantr is assumed to be "like our world". Cantrians should be like humans yet their world in my opinions doesn't lead to conditions that would create something like we are. And this dissonance is thing that I consider main factor of disappointment. But yet it's just my interpretation :)
Rest In Pieces.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Rmak wrote:Russian numbers have increased, though they might need a little PD guidance.

That many? That increase cannot be natural; i think PD should investigate this before things go massively wrong!
I think ...
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:14 pm

We are aware of the new players, and we hope to attract even more! If there are specific problems you are seeing, please do let PD know.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Hmm, does seem like a lot. 50+ characters in 6 days.
Londonderry

Postby Londonderry » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 am

See way more interesting now.
Yuna

Postby Yuna » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:06 pm

It'll just get better and better. :mrgreen: :lol: :twisted:
Meorwen

Postby Meorwen » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 pm

sherman wrote:
Wolfsong wrote:Russians make the best additions to games because they always become raiders, pirates and murderers in persistent world narratives. Waiting to see roving bands of Slavic bandits in Cantr.

Too much of that though is counter productive

Considering how difficult it is to even drag someone now I doubt there will be too much of it. More attacks might be a good way to fight urbanisation and have people work together to defend themselves, in my opinion, currently most town guards are pretty much guards in name only, it might be fun to have -some- more evil minded plunderers out there, to give some people an opportunity to actually have all those years of hard training and sparring be worth something. :mrgreen:
Londonderry

Postby Londonderry » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:17 pm

For some it will be a problem to solve. A fundamental issue with cantr is there are very few problems to solve. Like wars, famines, uprising, lack of resources , disease, you get the idea. Problems are good thing. They create opportunity.
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:06 am

It's true that wars, when done right, can create great Cantrian experiences and stories.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.

Return to “General Discussion”