What is a "precise" smile?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

MonkeyPants4736

What is a "precise" smile?

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:27 pm

I see characters giving a "precise smile" rather often. Google does not provide a definition. I imagine it to be a "fakely perfect" smile, appearing plastered on and covering some unpleasant emotion. Or simply a pretense, not negative, but not genuine. It makes me thus assume the character smiling at mine is a liar, or at least fake and refusing to express honestly.

Help :)
Millhouse

Re: What is a "precise" smile?

Postby Millhouse » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:31 pm

I've seen it in literature before. It means to smile in a curt or disingenuous way. Pretty much what you imagined.
Neva

Postby Neva » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:10 am

It's the opposite of a faint smile, rather like a polite smile, but wider with a certain dental exposition.

A precise smile is only a visual description, like lopsided smile or wide smile. I don't think that it has something to do with the honesty.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:24 am

Neva wrote:It's the opposite of a faint smile, rather like a polite smile, but wider with a certain dental exposition.

A precise smile is only a visual description, like lopsided smile or wide smile. I don't think that it has something to do with the honesty.

Hmm, I don't really think that's what it means, at least not in the context I've seen it used. Think of it like a practiced smile, like something a salesman or politician or receptionist would use. Some similar phrases might be plastic smile or botox smile. There's also Pan Am Smile, used to describe the particular smile used by flight attendants on Pan American flights. It's a very practiced smile used to convey a sense of friendliness during a business transaction. The person may be dying a thousand deaths inside, but they put on a happy face because their career depends on it.
Neva

Postby Neva » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:59 am

Millhouse wrote:
Neva wrote:It's the opposite of a faint smile, rather like a polite smile, but wider with a certain dental exposition.

Hmm, I don't really think that's what it means, at least not in the context I've seen it used. Think of it like a practiced smile, like something a salesman or politician or receptionist would use. Some similar phrases might be plastic smile or botox smile. There's also Pan Am Smile, used to describe the particular smile used by flight attendants on Pan American flights. It's a very practiced smile used to convey a sense of friendliness during a business transaction. The person may be dying a thousand deaths inside, but they put on a happy face because their career depends on it.

That's exactly what I was trying to describe, when I was sleep typing the post above. But it doesn't mean that the character is lying or being cynical. It's just like a poker face, a staged expression, which can't be interpret as a fake smile. The character might be really happy, angry or nervous, when it casts a precise smile at yours. It might be in love with your character or just hate to interact with it.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:41 pm

Neva wrote:
Millhouse wrote:

That's exactly what I was trying to describe, when I was sleep typing the post above. But it doesn't mean that the character is lying or being cynical. It's just like a poker face, a staged expression, which can't be interpret as a fake smile. The character might be really happy, angry or nervous, when it casts a precise smile at yours. It might be in love with your character or just hate to interact with it.

I'm struggling to understand the difference between what you just described and "a fake smile". They seem identical to me. Perhaps "fake" means something different to you than to me? Or the very purpose of a smile is different to you than me?
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Neva

Postby Neva » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:55 pm

A fake smile is a more successful version of a forced smile. A precise smile isn't a forced smile, it's a genuinely cast smile independent from any emotional background. A present face smile is a fake smile, but the smile we offer people we just met is a precise smile.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:08 pm

The smile I offer people I just met isn't precise at all.

You seem to be describing the difference between vanilla ice cream, vanilla frozen yogurt, and vanilla gelato, but at least I get it now, thank you *offers a relaxed, fully real smile, though we've hardly met*
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Neva

Postby Neva » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:30 pm

*offers a faintly lopsided mischievously crooked officially impish widening bright triple combo smile*
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:27 pm

That's beautiful^^ I accept it :)
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Neva wrote:*offers a faintly lopsided mischievously crooked officially impish widening bright triple combo smile*

Now I want to see such a smile :(
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Yuna

Postby Yuna » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:00 am

Genie wrote:
Neva wrote:*offers a faintly lopsided mischievously crooked officially impish widening bright triple combo smile*

We accept thus.
Neva

Postby Neva » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:39 am

Yuna wrote:
Genie wrote:

We accept thus.

May be?
Yuna

Postby Yuna » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:21 am

Neva wrote:
Yuna wrote:
Genie wrote:

We accept thus.

May be?

Not disappointed.

Return to “General Discussion”