Why Cantr failed

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Players Department Trainee

curious

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby curious » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Again. widespread? I think we softened the position on it being 'widespread'... if it were ever described as such. My position? If there is 'enough' OOC 'sharing', 'chatting', 'planning' etc to make people rethink their participation in the game (either leaving it or reducing their input) then there is simply too much.

As for community> The game, when I played and enjoyed it more, had a vibrant and energetic sense of community... very very little of it seemed to bleed into the game. I am not against community. I am against the people who seem to be driven to learn all they can OOC because they perhaps percieve it as being important, and those who also seem to lack a basic discipline to keep OOC knowledge out of the game.
User avatar
Money
Posts: 911
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby Money » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:40 pm

curious wrote:Again. widespread? I think we softened the position on it being 'widespread'... if it were ever described as such.

I think this is just a disagreement about semantics. People have asserted that OOC cooperation affects a significant portion of the game on a regular basis to the point where it is turning off a significant segment of the player base. Widespread can encompass that sentiment, even if it was not explicitly used.

curious wrote:My position? If there is 'enough' OOC 'sharing', 'chatting', 'planning' etc to make people rethink their participation in the game (either leaving it or reducing their input) then there is simply too much.

As for community> The game, when I played and enjoyed it more, had a vibrant and energetic sense of community... very very little of it seemed to bleed into the game. I am not against community. I am against the people who seem to be driven to learn all they can OOC because they perhaps percieve it as being important, and those who also seem to lack a basic discipline to keep OOC knowledge out of the game.

If it's not a problem for a significant segment of the playerbase then I think resources could be used more efficiently. Could the changes required to discourage the playstyle you deem undesirable hurt the game more than it helps? I strongly suspect that is the case.

That aside, how can we solve this issue? You've already stated this is something too subtle to be detected by PD.  Shutdown the discord? Shutdown the forum? Won't people just migrate off official channels? If there has been a fundamental shift in the way which people play this game then I don't see how this can be resolved without harming the community. Prescribing how people play a game, when they're not breaking the rules, is just counter productive in my opinion. Even if they are breaking the rules, which I don't agree with, if it's undetectable then what can be done? Seems the rules would need to be changed to match the reality on the ground.
curious

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby curious » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 pm

I don't disagree with you, Money.
There is no resolution because, theoretically, there isn't even a problem. Play styles are play styles... they either suit a person or they don't.
It's like drinking in a bar... there is no absolute right or wrong way to order a drink, but there is a general idea of etiquette. if you don't like your seat... choose another one... leave the bar, even.

Simple fact... some people follow etiquette here and some don't. Sadly? Some don;t even know how to order a drink!
User avatar
cutecuddlydirewolf
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:24 am

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:25 am

curious wrote:I don't disagree with you, Money.
There is no resolution because, theoretically, there isn't even a problem. Play styles are play styles... they either suit a person or they don't.
It's like drinking in a bar... there is no absolute right or wrong way to order a drink, but there is a general idea of etiquette. if you don't like your seat... choose another one... leave the bar, even.

Simple fact... some people follow etiquette here and some don't. Sadly? Some don;t even know how to order a drink!


Then what's the issue here, exactly?
Image
User avatar
Chris
Posts: 822
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 1:03 pm

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:36 am

It doesn't matter. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The player count keeps going down; over 25 lost in the last 100 days.
curious

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby curious » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:50 am

Chris wrote:It doesn't matter. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The player count keeps going down; over 25 lost in the last 100 days.

That's the sad truth. I just looked at the graph.

Whether or not it has to be the way things continue? I just don't know.
I would like to think not but I have, myself, gone through a complete 180 degree turn about in this thread alone.
User avatar
gejyspa
Translator-Lojban (PR)
Posts: 1396
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby gejyspa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Reading this thread was very depressing and makes me wonder if I was wrong to come back to cantr....
User avatar
raspberrytea
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:20 am
Location: nomading

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby raspberrytea » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:53 pm

There are small pockets of thriving communities, but otherwise it's like a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
User avatar
gejyspa
Translator-Lojban (PR)
Posts: 1396
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby gejyspa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Well, that just means I can start some post-apocalyptic world-rebuilding:
You used 13000 grams of lead on Project: Crafting anti-radiation suit.
User avatar
Tiamo
Posts: 1181
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby Tiamo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:02 pm

It proved not to be a nuclear apocalyps. It was a silent sleeping disease pandemic.

The good news is some people are immune.
I think ...
User avatar
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor
Posts: 1154
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:28 pm
Location: Neverland

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby Genie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 pm

gejyspa wrote:Reading this thread was very depressing and makes me wonder if I was wrong to come back to cantr....

I hope you have good time in the green, but it's not a secret that some of us are hoping for a peaceful end while the fire is still burning...
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.
User avatar
muidoido
RD/PR - LO/LD (Portuguese)
Posts: 1596
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: Brasil
Contact:

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby muidoido » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Even after the server is taken down by the boss, I hope he gives away the source code, because I'll run my own server and pirate my own towns! :oops:

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests