Why Cantr failed

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

PaintedbyRoses

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:45 pm

Millhouse wrote:I am denying that it exists everywhere, as it's been alluded.
Going by these quotes, it sounds like you're all saying that this behavior is happening rampantly on all corners of the game, which is what I am denying seeing any evidence of. I have two town leader characters and I don't coordinate ooc so it can't be said that these supposed people in control are in control of every town. I doubt very seriously that other towns I'm in are controlled in any way by some nefarious ooc clique. Again I'm not on Discord and obviously not in the same towns in-game as you.

I'm not saying that every town leader in the game is colluding OOC. My two characters are on the same very busy English speaking island.

On this island are, I'd estimate, about 25% of characters who role-play quite elaborately compared to other characters. Almost all of them are quite rich, elaborately dressed, have interesting work, have multiple homes, vehicles, ships, complex tools and machinery and many of them are leaders or influential in their towns. They mostly talk only to each other in long, detailed, descriptive paragraphs of their every tiny action. They tend to the less gifted role-players like they are feeble-minded servants who need only the bare essentials to exist.

This is an in-game power clique and there isn't anything wrong with it. They have used their skill to achieve what they wanted and that's the basic tenor of the game right now. I do think many, but not all, of these players know each other and talk OOC. I do think they share some info which is mostly not important. I also think they either recognize each other's new characters or are told about them OOC and these lucky newspawns are provided with wealth and opportunities that other newspawns never receive. It is exactly like the very rich in RL paying to get their children into Ivy League colleges and asking their influential friends to give them high powered, high paying jobs (think Jared Kushner). The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

These characters don't control every town on the island but they are influential everywhere. If they see someone not in the clique becoming too ambitious and slightly successful, suddenly "visitors" arrive, friends of the previously helpful town leader, and shut that character down by ignoring them, marginalizing them and even bullying them until they stop trying. I'm not sure why the players want to do this. Maybe to erase the possibility of change.

And this is OK (except for the OOC part). What would naturally happen is an uprising where the disenfranchised would get fed up, band together and use violence to overthrow the elite. It has happened over and over again in RL. It might happen in the US if things keep going the way they are. It can't happen in Cantr anymore, though, because the present lack of attack ability and random death makes change impossible. The only way things might change a little bit is if a player who is part of this elite group quits the game.

I personally, don't really care about the OOC stuff. It's always going to happen. Some people are really focused on and angry about it, though, for fairness reasons. I just don't like the fact that the mechanics of the game, the small player base, the small character base and the sense of resignation to lives of "quiet desperation" for most characters makes the game boring. My characters can't do anything interesting so I am bored and frustrated.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:03 pm

First of all Cantr isn't failed to my opinion and I would like to change this topic to: Why Cantr has problems.

I tried to read all the comments carefully, though this still a small argument between a few active forum users from EZ.

Several of my chars have good relationships with the town leaders because they know each others IC since long time. When X goes to Y she/he knows there won't be any problems and the trading will be good. When A goes to B to ask for help he/she knows it will be received. When one needs to buy specific items, he/she knows which artists appeal his/her tastes. This is not OOC, this is all IC.
@PaintedbyRoses I'm sorry for your experiences, but believe me your chars can get a better life and put their marks too.

Many places need active people to trade for them, work for them or work business in their cities so if a character has ideas and if he/she is able to communicate properly it's not so difficult to receive generous donations, they can even get paid for the ideas. A place didn't work for you? Collect your payment and try another, one's trash is another's treasure. It's always possible to rule your own place too.

My young characters had a few problems in time, but they made their way and those formerly problematic leaders changed their behaviours towards them(There's a thing as newspawn depression, even the old players not immune to that, it's all natural). Cantr is a slow game, things can change in time and even though a player dislikes a character with one others can be good friends. But about being evil and rebel? I think that needs some background to be interesting. Insulting people as soon as you spawn and attacking them just for pointing at you comes meaningless to me.

There are many small towns controlled by a few dedicated people, sometimes just one character works things out between three towns because their original citizens can't travel often. Those towns are not so rich, they're maintaining a calm life in their limits. Killing those would create just more empty towns and there would be just a little lot for the eager thieves which will quit the game after messing around for a while. I fail to see what good violence would do for them.

There are situations I couldn't explain with the game logic and going on rp, it looked like at least a couple of people are acting on previously decided. This made me think there's more than a few Cantr players are having some friendly chat or game gossip. Maybe there was always some OOC and always will be, but I don't think they ever had a target like " Winning" except the massacre and big war times. In a slow game it's possible to stir somethings up even with just 2 players.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All the arguments to a side seeing the contraddictions between the things some old and new players demanding gives an impression like it's impossible to make everyone happy. In this case I can only hope this open criticism in the forum will make positive effects in Cantr's future. I know PDs look very busy to care everyting and their mindsets can be different from ours, but they too want Cantr's good. Cantr is unique and wonderful, I love it even though it often makes me crazy.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:04 pm

curious wrote:You begin with a denial and finish with a caveat a to why it might not be useful?
Are you familiar with the concept of the 'lesser-spotted' black swan..? And it's effects on the statement that 'all swans are white'..?

I'm sorry if all you took away from my comments was that it wasn't useful. I have no reason to doubt you're having the issue you described. My point was that a few of you are making this out to be some wide-spread problem and I think that's being a bit hyperbolic.

Re: PaibtedbyRoses, I've had characters that started with basics and are now rich through gradual work and accumulation. I've also had some that said "fuck all that" and lied, cheated and stole to become rich. I have others still that don't care at all about wealth, they're old and poor but still had fulfilling story lines. I've had pirates and poets and musicians, town leaders, town guards, explorers, thiefs, simmers, you name it. Just be bold. Don't worry so much about roleplaying if you don't feel you're good at it. I think it has a lot less bearing on things than you give it credit for. The game is about setting goals and maybe getting to achieve them after a long period of time, or you can fast track it if you're willing to take some risks.
curious

Postby curious » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:13 pm

Wasn't my caveat.
I do get your point but I don't think anyone said that it was 'widespread' per se.
Many people don't see it. Perhaps some are just not active enough? Perhaps some are liucky enough not to meet it in the game? I dunno. I know I got sick to death of it.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Millhouse wrote:Re: PaibtedbyRoses, I've had characters that started with basics and are now rich through gradual work and accumulation. I've also had some that said "fuck all that" and lied, cheated and stole to become rich. I have others still that don't care at all about wealth, they're old and poor but still had fulfilling story lines. I've had pirates and poets and musicians, town leaders, town guards, explorers, thiefs, simmers, you name it. Just be bold. Don't worry so much about roleplaying if you don't feel you're good at it. I think it has a lot less bearing on things than you give it credit for. The game is about setting goals and maybe getting to achieve them after a long period of time, or you can fast track it if you're willing to take some risks.
Maybe I am being impatient but it definitely isn't my goal or my desire for my characters to just become powerful or rich. I can't really explain the kind of machinations and problems I see without completely giving away my characters. And frankly, I don't think anything (programming wise) will change, anyway. I appreciate the opportunity to vent here on the forums and to know that at least a few players understand my frustrations.

Also, I totally agree that Cantr has not failed (although it is in decline). In RL many civilizations have disappeared and new ones emerge in their ashes. I hope this happens in Cantr and I will do my best to hang in for the long haul.

Here's an interesting article about the times when the earth's population was drastically reduced for various reasons.

https://www.quora.com/Which-events-led- ... in-history
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:30 pm

curious wrote:I'm actually with Neva on this.
I also think saying you haven't seen it, when others have doesn't deny its existence (OOC conspiring... cooperation... call it what you like0

It can be subtle, often either placing people in a double bind with their characters and or the simultaneous attacking of one player in an OOC platform whilst flattering and gaining favour of others... You go and work it out and if you're happy with it... get on with it... The point however, remains valid.

All we have as evidence here for either side is personal experience. So saying you haven't seen that behavior is just as valid as saying you have.

Moreover- how could one even know if OOC cooperation was happening? Unless you've been privvy to two players having questionable OOC chats, you can't know if anything in the game is spurred on by OOC motives or biases.

It's easy to blame some of the more unsavoury cliquey behaviors in the game on OOC coordination. But I personally highly doubt that is the case. What would be the point? A bunch of players teaming up like schoolgirls to ruin a specific character's reputation?
curious

Postby curious » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 pm

No... not seeing something holds no validity at all. It is a basic assumption of an argument that you 'have' to present something of substance.
Again... All swans are white? It only takes one black one to destroy that statement.
And really.. I hate to be second guessed all the time about what I know OOC and in-game... to the point I am just sick of trying to state this remotely politely.

I'm out... get on with it... I am wasting my breath... clearly.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 pm

curious wrote:No... not seeing something holds no validity at all. It is a basic assumption of an argument that you 'have' to present something of substance.
Again... All swans are white? It only takes one black one to destroy that statement.
And really.. I hate to be second guessed all the time about what I know OOC and in-game... to the point I am just sick of trying to state this remotely politely.

I'm out... get on with it... I am wasting my breath... clearly.

If that was the case, then everyone who's ever claimed to see a ghost or a cryptid would automatically be correct. That reasoning is inherently flawed.

All I'm asking is how you know these things are happening. You have to substantiate your claims.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:15 am

Read my forum posts... read the posts above this one... make your own mind up rather than try to dismiss this, and so clumsily, to be blunt.
Are you serious... have you actually read any of this? This evidence is never going to be 'demonstrable'... how could it? The point..? And I am feeling quite disheartened that I even have to repeat it... seeing... nothing...is nothing..! fact... unequivocal..! Collating a weight of evidence, even anecdotally... not... nothing..!! You'd actually be surprised just how useful a weight of evidence is when trying to establish patterns in behaviour.

Does your 'staunch' protest actually hide something I am missing here? Oh, no... you're just an egalitarian, right?

In fact... while we are here... look at the response to you own double bind in Discord... or do you want to me to publish it here. I have it saved, seeing as it was such a delightful objection to just how you 'work' in 'chat'. Of course I won't... because it's not mine to post.

If you're going to use 'reason' at least use it properly.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:56 am

curious wrote:Read my forum posts... read the posts above this one... make your own mind up rather than try to dismiss this, and so clumsily, to be blunt.
Are you serious... have you actually read any of this? This evidence is never going to be 'demonstrable'... how could it? The point..? And I am feeling quite disheartened that I even have to repeat it... seeing... nothing...is nothing..! fact... unequivocal..! Collating a weight of evidence, even anecdotally... not... nothing..!! You'd actually be surprised just how useful a weight of evidence is when trying to establish patterns in behaviour.

Does your 'staunch' protest actually hide something I am missing here? Oh, no... you're just an egalitarian, right?

In fact... while we are here... look at the response to you own double bind in Discord... or do you want to me to publish it here. I have it saved, seeing as it was such a delightful objection to just how you 'work' in 'chat'. Of course I won't... because it's not mine to post.

If you're going to use 'reason' at least use it properly.

Firstly, I don't have the faintest clue what you're on about.

Secondly, don't threaten me.

Thirdly, you already quit the game. If you're just going to be rude and use your posts as a way to make innapropriate jabs at other players, I don't think you should be here anymore.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 am

Oh... nice retort..?
Do me one favour... do NOT contact me in private communications.. EVER..!
Work it out. It's not my fault sound reasoning doesn't make sense to you and Google 'threat'

In addition... there is no requirement for me to be in-game to be a member here or in Discord. In fact, I actually have to wait 4 days after an unsub to even post my dead chars.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 am

Of course, there is no way to prove OOC activity. Those of us who have talked about it are referring to suspicious, and sometimes very obvious, behavior by and coincidences occurring between, characters in game which, seemingly, can only be explained by OOC coordination. As I mentioned above, I can't give specific details because it would make my characters easily identifiable.

One example (which I am just making up) might be something like this: Several bigshot characters have gone off on an adventure to explore other islands. They have been gone for many years and no one knows for sure if they will ever return. But then, their presence is needed for some reason. Other characters are gathering from around the island, hoping for their return although there is no reason to expect it. And, what do you know! Within a day or two, there they are, sailing into the harbor. They unload a literal shipload of rare resources and plunder. Presents and trades of valuable and exotic goods for all the rich people! Yay!

It's hard not to notice things like this. Just because the peons are quiet doesn't mean they are oblivious.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:03 am

It is worth noting you can take these claims up with staff if you see obvious abuse. I did so once back in 2007 or so, though I was told then in my case nothing was amiss.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:47 am

Wolfsong wrote:It is worth noting you can take these claims up with staff if you see obvious abuse. I did so once back in 2007 or so, though I was told then in my case nothing was amiss.

That's last bit's not good.

I doubt many people would bother the staff about something like this because, it is pretty insidious and difficult to establish links between OOC and in-game actions. There is a lot of 'feeling' in the game that simply leads some people to be weary of it, be quieter in their play style and so on.

I know a lot of people out with this forum, even, who just know a lot OOC, and to my minds, far more than you can discover accidentally. My very best days in this game were when I hardly knew anything at all OOC. I don't get the 'have to know' to play the game, and hence... I no longer do.
Money

Postby Money » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:54 pm

Conspiracy theories are an interesting explanation for the development a "meta" in Cantr, but I think people need to seriously underestimate how much an experienced player can learn IC just from playing the game to buy into them. Feelings are great, but that doesn't prove widespread OOC cooperation.

curious wrote:I know a lot of people out with this forum, even, who just know a lot OOC, and to my minds, far more than you can discover accidentally. My very best days in this game were when I hardly knew anything at all OOC. I don't get the 'have to know' to play the game, and hence... I no longer do.

I also think that many players don't share your opinion on how this game should be played. OOC contact, which doesn't violate the Capital Rule, builds up our community. Perhaps if the player census gets implemented we can truly resolve the question of how sharp the IC/OOC divide should be. I hope the answer isn't as harsh as this though.

Return to “General Discussion”