Why Cantr failed

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

curious

Re: Why Cantr failed

Postby curious » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Again. widespread? I think we softened the position on it being 'widespread'... if it were ever described as such. My position? If there is 'enough' OOC 'sharing', 'chatting', 'planning' etc to make people rethink their participation in the game (either leaving it or reducing their input) then there is simply too much.

As for community> The game, when I played and enjoyed it more, had a vibrant and energetic sense of community... very very little of it seemed to bleed into the game. I am not against community. I am against the people who seem to be driven to learn all they can OOC because they perhaps percieve it as being important, and those who also seem to lack a basic discipline to keep OOC knowledge out of the game.
Money

Postby Money » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:40 pm

curious wrote:Again. widespread? I think we softened the position on it being 'widespread'... if it were ever described as such.

I think this is just a disagreement about semantics. People have asserted that OOC cooperation affects a significant portion of the game on a regular basis to the point where it is turning off a significant segment of the player base. Widespread can encompass that sentiment, even if it was not explicitly used.

curious wrote:My position? If there is 'enough' OOC 'sharing', 'chatting', 'planning' etc to make people rethink their participation in the game (either leaving it or reducing their input) then there is simply too much.

As for community> The game, when I played and enjoyed it more, had a vibrant and energetic sense of community... very very little of it seemed to bleed into the game. I am not against community. I am against the people who seem to be driven to learn all they can OOC because they perhaps percieve it as being important, and those who also seem to lack a basic discipline to keep OOC knowledge out of the game.

If it's not a problem for a significant segment of the playerbase then I think resources could be used more efficiently. Could the changes required to discourage the playstyle you deem undesirable hurt the game more than it helps? I strongly suspect that is the case.

That aside, how can we solve this issue? You've already stated this is something too subtle to be detected by PD.  Shutdown the discord? Shutdown the forum? Won't people just migrate off official channels? If there has been a fundamental shift in the way which people play this game then I don't see how this can be resolved without harming the community. Prescribing how people play a game, when they're not breaking the rules, is just counter productive in my opinion. Even if they are breaking the rules, which I don't agree with, if it's undetectable then what can be done? Seems the rules would need to be changed to match the reality on the ground.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:48 pm

I don't disagree with you, Money.
There is no resolution because, theoretically, there isn't even a problem. Play styles are play styles... they either suit a person or they don't.
It's like drinking in a bar... there is no absolute right or wrong way to order a drink, but there is a general idea of etiquette. if you don't like your seat... choose another one... leave the bar, even.

Simple fact... some people follow etiquette here and some don't. Sadly? Some don;t even know how to order a drink!
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:25 am

curious wrote:I don't disagree with you, Money.
There is no resolution because, theoretically, there isn't even a problem. Play styles are play styles... they either suit a person or they don't.
It's like drinking in a bar... there is no absolute right or wrong way to order a drink, but there is a general idea of etiquette. if you don't like your seat... choose another one... leave the bar, even.

Simple fact... some people follow etiquette here and some don't. Sadly? Some don;t even know how to order a drink!

Then what's the issue here, exactly?
Chris

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:36 am

It doesn't matter. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The player count keeps going down; over 25 lost in the last 100 days.
curious

Postby curious » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:50 am

Chris wrote:It doesn't matter. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. The player count keeps going down; over 25 lost in the last 100 days.

That's the sad truth. I just looked at the graph.

Whether or not it has to be the way things continue? I just don't know.
I would like to think not but I have, myself, gone through a complete 180 degree turn about in this thread alone.
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Reading this thread was very depressing and makes me wonder if I was wrong to come back to cantr....
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:53 pm

There are small pockets of thriving communities, but otherwise it's like a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:14 pm

Well, that just means I can start some post-apocalyptic world-rebuilding:
You used 13000 grams of lead on Project: Crafting anti-radiation suit.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:02 pm

It proved not to be a nuclear apocalyps. It was a silent sleeping disease pandemic.

The good news is some people are immune.
I think ...
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:00 pm

gejyspa wrote:Reading this thread was very depressing and makes me wonder if I was wrong to come back to cantr....

I hope you have good time in the green, but it's not a secret that some of us are hoping for a peaceful end while the fire is still burning...
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:57 pm

Even after the server is taken down by the boss, I hope he gives away the source code, because I'll run my own server and pirate my own towns! :oops:
viktor

Postby viktor » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:37 pm

some of the changes have been real killers, changes that sometimes are either unnecessary or, may be needed to some extent but are done to the extreme and never modified after.
disallowing custom sign colors really does a ton of damage to the fun and rp of some areas.
I still firmly believe that 15% is WAY too much tiredness per drag attempt, I understand 2% is too little but seriously 15%?
the radio nerf, I understand it may have been too overpowered but when both the ranges were dropped to a fraction PLUS the repeaters being unlinkable to eachother... too much, how about just break the repeaters and go back to the original ranges?
just to name a few
there's likely been some killers in the past X months that I haven't really played (chars on life support) due to a combo of depression and the fun being sucked out of cantr by some of the changes and policies being taken too far.

Return to “General Discussion”