A few OOC or unworkable dreams

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

nateflory

A few OOC or unworkable dreams

Postby nateflory » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:24 pm

I was curious if this sort of Discussion was permissible, or not but I wondered if anyone had some great Plans for a story or society/town within Cantr that failed or would be too sketchy to actually carry out in-game appropriately.
(and -vaguely_ remembered a similar discussion years ago but cant find it to necro that thread)

As an example: Loooonng ago I had a character that tried valiantly to get his little settlement on-board to work towards a rather extreme form of Eugenics. Basically, he was trying to get a "perfect society" of farmers and hunter/fighters. If you were awkward or even skilled, jail and death or Exile. Only the best, the experts could live there, so that new folks Spawned with similar skills. (well, OOC that was the reason, In-game he of course played it as just attracting the right people). They would not need trade, they would be insular and xenophobic, and such... but it never really worked out.

Unfortunately, and obviously, quite a few people did not like that, because their characters were and would be killed off. But I always had a sort of vague scientific-curiosity if that sort of thing would "work" with the game mechanics, and be an interesting Story Culture to play within the context of.
I won't even try for that sort of thing in today's Cantr, though, sadly. :?

Another character from back in the mists of the past, had plans to live in a specific location, with zero resources (you probably know where I mean 8) ), and see if they could survive. I still am vaguely tempted to try that again... and see what happens. Not relying on ANY traders or help.. and not use whatever machinery might be there already beyond a firepit. True "Primitive survival" style. Would the animals produce enough food to survive, or would they slowly be hunted to extinction? Would they be aggressive enough ot slowly wear down my character's health? I'd have to get back there to see what exists, and calculate those sorts of things on the wiki, based on some skill/damage/health factors of course.... but doing so is probably REALLY messy in terms of being OOC influence for that character, I'm sure... but I'm still curious about if that's feasible or not.

Do you have any such stories or Concepts that you'd like to explore in a similar fashion, even mentally? :)
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
ManyVoices

Re: A few OOC or unworkable dreams

Postby ManyVoices » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:07 pm

For me, I've always wanted to have a character who could have visions of the past.

I've played 3 different times, and each time I've played, I've had a character in the Stone Knights area. With knowing so much about the Stone Knights, I've always wished I could have a character that had visions of the past. Could share moments of importance in their history, or some minor detail, that came to him/her as a vision. It would add such a cool, mystical character to the mix. A 'seer', or gifted character, that defies logic .... BUT, of course, that completely breaks the Capital Rule of bringing no for-knowledge (or OOC knowledge) into the game, so it will always be the most awesome character I could never play.
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:26 pm

I really wanted to do a prophet who predicted upcoming game changes through the lense of their religious views. But I felt a legitimate prophet was in violation of the CR. I had to settle for the vague and/or crackpot type.

I'd be curious if a religion would be more accepted or not if a prophet was on the money in their predictions.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:41 pm

Gender-split society (or split by "appearance" where brunettes work here and blondes work there, etc) or other equally unimportant Segregation as an important and enforced part of the town culture.... Yes, totally unfair and unworkable and against my Personal beliefs, but.. has anyone done something like that in-character? With the low population in smaller towns, not feasible currently. But interesting to my mental ponderings.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:43 am

Narrator the Second
notsure

Postby notsure » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:01 pm

You are only assigned tasks you are really bad at.

ns :\
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:50 am

I once had an idea about setting up a worldwide treasure hunt, with clues, puzzles, rhymes, characters to interact with and all.

It proved impossible for a series of reasons. Too many characters/players had to be involved in organising it all, there is no way to make sure clues/locations are not spoiled, accidentally or willfully by hunters, some of the ideas are now impossible by game changes (shipwrecks!), announcing the hunt worldwide at the same time is a logistic nightmare, setting it up would take way too long (1000+ days at least), what would be the (unique) treasure for the winner???
I think ...
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Tiamo wrote:I once had an idea about setting up a worldwide treasure hunt, with clues, puzzles, rhymes, characters to interact with and all.

It proved impossible for a series of reasons. Too many characters/players had to be involved in organising it all, there is no way to make sure clues/locations are not spoiled, accidentally or willfully by hunters, some of the ideas are now impossible by game changes (shipwrecks!), announcing the hunt worldwide at the same time is a logistic nightmare, setting it up would take way too long (1000+ days at least), what would be the (unique) treasure for the winner???

Oh my goodness, that reminds me of a "murder mystery" idea that I had, where a character would leave clues in the form of notes or objects around various towns, that would lead someone to a "dead body" (either a note, or a wooden figuring or something Symbolic) and the clues would lead back to my character's town. Anyone figuring it out would get a RP item (like another wooden figure) "trophy" ... but I never did it because the first three-town test I tried with a friend the notes vanished into an envelope after we left, so it just never worked out.... so the same reasons you had, Tiamo. but wouldn't that be Awesome! It would sadly require a LOT of coordination and other player assistance, which meant those players probably couldn't participate in "solving" it. Alas.

Return to “General Discussion”