English language, heavy accent questions.

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Loxxi

English language, heavy accent questions.

Postby Loxxi » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Before I even begin forging the basics of a character I would really like to play, I must ask-and I think this question could be an all-rounder of sorts, because, honestly I would like to know whats okay and whats a no go if your guys know for sure. For example:
'This character only knows -language here-, but they have an -heavy/light- -insert accent here- accent'.
Now for the real question, I would like to play a character who only knows English, but they have a very heavy Jamaican accent. I've searched this forum a little, and I know if the player isn't 'consistent' with their characters' accents, it can get annoying. Which leads to another question, would it be okay to use an off-site 'translator' or 'generator' of sorts-if having a heavy accent like such is okay?
MonkeyPants4736

Re: English language, heavy accent questions.

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:15 pm

There is no rule-defined "standard" for the English used in game, so I think you have no worries of rule breaking.

Further, many characters have had '"accents" of the sort you refer to. I would recommend you not use one that you aren't really familiar with, because you will end up with only a couple of overused phrases or accented words rather than something believable. If you need a translator, that might indicate that the accent you want is better saved for a later time. Perhaps after reading/hearing some literature or such from someone who really has/had the kind of accent you want to portray. Though, if you pull it off, it might make for interesting character communications. Good luck!
Loxxi

Re: English language, heavy accent questions.

Postby Loxxi » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:05 pm

MonkeyPants4736 wrote:There is no rule-defined "standard" for the English used in game, so I think you have no worries of rule breaking.

Further, many characters have had '"accents" of the sort you refer to. I would recommend you not use one that you aren't really familiar with, because you will end up with only a couple of overused phrases or accented words rather than something believable. If you need a translator, that might indicate that the accent you want is better saved for a later time. Perhaps after reading/hearing some literature or such from someone who really has/had the kind of accent you want to portray. Though, if you pull it off, it might make for interesting character communications. Good luck!

Alright, good to know. :) And thanks for the advice; I know of quite a few references to look back on. Since I haven't listened/read in years. And I might as well look into the newer stuff, too. :)

Return to “General Discussion”