Does Cantr have a moon?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Players Department, Public Relations Department, Players Department Trainee

User avatar
jamesthewarlock
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:35 pm
Location: Michigan, 'MURICA

Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby jamesthewarlock » Sat May 20, 2017 6:55 pm

I suppose this may come down to each character's own perspective. Perhaps some would attest to having seen a moon and others not, but is there any kind of consensus or canon?
Millhouse
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:32 am

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Millhouse » Sat May 20, 2017 10:43 pm

There's nothing in game to suggest a moon but I'm personally ok with people saying there is. There was even a character a while back who played a supposed moon goddess. My character that met her thought she was crazy, but didn't deny there was such a thing as the moon. I'd say that if there's a general consensus it's that a moon exists, or that at least people are ok with moon symbology (they don't usually question things like crescent moon shapes or the word moon in general)
User avatar
jamesthewarlock
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 3:35 pm
Location: Michigan, 'MURICA

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby jamesthewarlock » Sat May 20, 2017 11:15 pm

Gotcha, thanks a lot
User avatar
Vanya
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:01 am
Location: BsAs, Argentina

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Vanya » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:44 pm

Its a tricky question.

Since its always sunny and we dont have nights, nor we have anything that give us visuals over any other celestial body than the sun, and we dont have any change in the waves and the sea... There is nothing that suggests that we have any moon.
Of course, there are still people who role that they pass through "nights"... And my answer is: there could be floating masses of rock or land that interfere with the sun light in an specific moment, making it dimmer, but not a proper night.
May that masses be called "moons"? I dont know. Anyway this is a rolistic escape way to keep everything and everyone happy and together. So if we role that, then we can role moons.
But... you will have a LONG way till it becomes accepted.
Millhouse
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:32 am

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:28 pm

I suppose there could be an argument made that there is some other celestial body in the sky if you consider sextants. In RL their readings are based on the relative positions of stars, the sun and the moon in relation to the horizon. So if you believe in a Sun that never changes relative position, then there must be some other celestial body in motion otherwise Cantr sextants wouldn't be a thing.
User avatar
Vanya
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:01 am
Location: BsAs, Argentina

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Vanya » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 am

Millhouse wrote:I suppose there could be an argument made that there is some other celestial body in the sky if you consider sextants. In RL their readings are based on the relative positions of stars, the sun and the moon in relation to the horizon. So if you believe in a Sun that never changes relative position, then there must be some other celestial body in motion otherwise Cantr sextants wouldn't be a thing.


Point there. I never thought of it actually. BUT... as I (and one of my characters) actually see the world as an inverted sphere, a hollow world where people live inside and is pushed against the external borders, then you can use the other land masses and things, as I see it.
It all depends on the theory you use.
User avatar
witia1
Posts: 543
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: Jelcz-Laskowice

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby witia1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:59 am

Actualy as someone (sorry for not remembering who :( ) pointed out to me sextant is also proof that cantr world is actualy flat.
No matter in which direction movement happens and which part of world you get your possition change in linear manner and that is possible only on flat surface.
Rest In Pieces.
User avatar
Vanya
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:01 am
Location: BsAs, Argentina

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Vanya » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:52 pm

witia1 wrote:Actualy as someone (sorry for not remembering who :( ) pointed out to me sextant is also proof that cantr world is actualy flat.
No matter in which direction movement happens and which part of world you get your possition change in linear manner and that is possible only on flat surface.


Hmmmm... *she narrows her eyes* You are forcing me to develop a theory for inverted sphere sextants, sir!! And I will.
Millhouse
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:32 am

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Millhouse » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Vanya wrote:
witia1 wrote:Actualy as someone (sorry for not remembering who :( ) pointed out to me sextant is also proof that cantr world is actualy flat.
No matter in which direction movement happens and which part of world you get your possition change in linear manner and that is possible only on flat surface.


Hmmmm... *she narrows her eyes* You are forcing me to develop a theory for inverted sphere sextants, sir!! And I will.


It would have to be a completely different type of sextant than in real life. RL sextants rely on the horizon to take measurements. Inside a Dyson sphere, there would be no horizon. It's hard to fathom how that would look, actually. I think even a flat world horizon would look pretty strange.
User avatar
Vanya
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:01 am
Location: BsAs, Argentina

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Vanya » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Millhouse wrote:
Vanya wrote:
witia1 wrote:Actualy as someone (sorry for not remembering who :( ) pointed out to me sextant is also proof that cantr world is actualy flat.
No matter in which direction movement happens and which part of world you get your possition change in linear manner and that is possible only on flat surface.


Hmmmm... *she narrows her eyes* You are forcing me to develop a theory for inverted sphere sextants, sir!! And I will.


It would have to be a completely different type of sextant than in real life. RL sextants rely on the horizon to take measurements. Inside a Dyson sphere, there would be no horizon. It's hard to fathom how that would look, actually. I think even a flat world horizon would look pretty strange.


But inside a Dyson you can use the inner land masses as "sky objects". After all, if you look above it should be posible that you might see the land of the "other side of the world".
Whatever: I first have to make my homemade sextant (I have some schematics) and learn how to use it. Then I will be able to make a theory.
Shiguy2
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:14 am

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Shiguy2 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Some of the sailor characters i play as and with refer to the sailing tick as the tide. Ooc tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon, thus if you rp the sailing tick as the tide, then there must be a moon or some other body to cause them.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.
User avatar
Tiamo
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Tiamo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:01 pm

8 tides each day? The Cantr moon must really be racing around. :shock: :D

B.t.w., this tide & moon theory cannot be correct, as it also requires the world to be a globe, which it clearly isn't.
Furthermore, the 'tide' comes at the same time all over the world. No moon(s) could cause that.
I think ...
User avatar
computaertist
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby computaertist » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:43 pm

Tiamo wrote:8 tides each day? The Cantr moon must really be racing around. :shock: :D

B.t.w., this tide & moon theory cannot be correct, as it also requires the world to be a globe, which it clearly isn't.
Furthermore, the 'tide' comes at the same time all over the world. No moon(s) could cause that.

Cantr could be a flat world with some heavenly body that looks to people like a moon somehow oscillating high above the flat surface (probably orbiting around something even higher up), attracting up all the waters as it comes closer and releasing them back down as it goes far away.

That's not what any of my characters believe, I just thought of it for this response. "No _ could cause that" sounds to me like a lack of imagination to which I want to reply "challenge accepted."
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
User avatar
Tiamo
Posts: 1180
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:22 pm

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby Tiamo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:41 pm

computaertist wrote:Cantr could be a flat world with some heavenly body that looks to people like a moon somehow oscillating high above the flat surface (probably orbiting around something even higher up), attracting up all the waters as it comes closer and releasing them back down as it goes far away.

The problem here is that the tick (thus the 'tide') comes at exactly the same time everywhere on Cantr. Where does all the water come from/go to? Even a moon with some gravity cycle (a gravity quasar!) cannot cause water (affecting water only?) to disappear/reappear every hour.

In our world tide is a (double) gulf moving around the world every 24 hours. High and low tide times differ depending on longitude. The water is moving around, not disapperaring/reappearing.
I think ...
User avatar
computaertist
Posts: 660
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:33 am

Re: Does Cantr have a moon?

Postby computaertist » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:58 pm

But what is underneath a flat world? Could there be room for water to come and go from the whole surface all at once? And who said it only affects water? Lots of things happen 8 times a day.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests