Bad Form (Subjective)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Re: Bad Form (Subjective)

Postby Bmot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:16 am

computaertist wrote:How do you suggest I ... er, indicate a.. pregnant? pause, if not with an ellipsis?
And at the end of a sentence that hangs as if the tone indicated more could have been been said... :? :?:

I read two drastically different feelings into your example sentences. The one with the ellipsis feels more spaced and thoughtful, the one without feels very precise or clinical. Neither is bad in my eyes, just very different, which with more context could be good or bad.

I don't think Poldora's against the use of ellipsises completely... ( :P ) But there's characters that use it at the end of each and every sentence, maybe watering down the experience somewhat?
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Poldora

Postby Poldora » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:26 pm

computaertist wrote:How do you suggest I ... er, indicate a.. pregnant? pause, if not with an ellipsis?
And at the end of a sentence that hangs as if the tone indicated more could have been been said... :? :?:

I read two drastically different feelings into your example sentences. The one with the ellipsis feels more spaced and thoughtful, the one without feels very precise or clinical. Neither is bad in my eyes, just very different, which with more context could be good or bad.

At the end of a sentence makes sense if it's indicating more could of/should have been said but not at the end of most sentences imo.

When I pause mid sentence I do so with an emote *she pauses briefly* I find it flows better but again it's a subjective thing.

I just hate when it becomes rare to see a person 'talk' without seeing a thousand ellipsis where they're really not necessary.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Seeing one my chars character description word-for-word stolen was a bit annoying, I must say :roll:
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Yuna

Postby Yuna » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:39 pm

Bmot wrote:Seeing one my chars character description word-for-word stolen was a bit annoying, I must say :roll:

Seriously? Straight up plagiarism? That's terrible!
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Bmot wrote:Seeing one my chars character description word-for-word stolen was a bit annoying, I must say :roll:

Same :|
Neva

Postby Neva » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:49 pm

One of my characters has more than one copy.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Neva wrote:One of my characters has more than one copy.

Wow, must be one absolutely gorgeous char :lol:
Neva

Postby Neva » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:58 pm

Bmot wrote:

Not a Mister Muscle with chiseled features or a giggling blushing pretty princess, but it must have a sort of charm to be stolen like that.
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:18 pm

Neva wrote:
Bmot wrote:

Not a Mister Muscle with chiseled features or a giggling blushing pretty princess, but it must have a sort of charm to be stolen like that.

Well yeah, anyone can describe a gorgeously perfect char. The "must have a sort of charm" chars seem much more difficult I guess :P
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 pm

I didn't meet and twins of my chars yet, I feel jealous. :mrgreen:
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:52 pm

I actually had a lengthy OOC conversation with the player that stole mine. They swore up and down theirs was original description. I think that was the worst part. I ended up writing several other character descriptions for them that were similar enough, but not exact copies of mine on a note and gave it to them. :lol:
Neva

Postby Neva » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:35 am

Genie wrote:I didn't meet and twins of my chars yet, I feel jealous. :mrgreen:

Your descriptions must be too unique to copy, Genie.
Neva

Postby Neva » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:45 am

I don't think I'm that creative to keep all of my characters unique. I'm quite sure of that my common errors and selection of words give my characters' player easily away. So I can't say that no one can tell that my character A is created by the player of my character B.

Still, I like the surprise element on character's players and the way they RP. It makes me cringe each time one of my characters encounters with characters of a couple of players who stand out with their factory made uniform characters with slight differences.
Poldora

Postby Poldora » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Neva wrote:I don't think I'm that creative to keep all of my characters unique. I'm quite sure of that my common errors and selection of words give my characters' player easily away. So I can't say that no one can tell that my character A is created by the player of my character B.

Still, I like the surprise element on character's players and the way they RP. It makes me cringe each time one of my characters encounters with characters of a couple of players who stand out with their factory made uniform characters with slight differences.

Same, although I feel like I’m sometimes guilty of this :oops:
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:41 pm

The same can be said of character descriptions I've found. I often don't read them but lately I have started to glance at least for a few seconds at character descriptions and there are seriously a few players who must have pushed these characters out of cake decorator bags. They are across the board almost the same size, shape, color, and their body type may as well be modeled with a cookie cutter. Just toss on a different frosting and wham they're done!

Return to “General Discussion”