Bad Form (Subjective)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Alladinsane

Re: Bad Form (Subjective)

Postby Alladinsane » Tue May 23, 2017 2:39 am

Mafia....
That post should go into the hall of fame!

If we had one!
==============================================

In a lot of posts, where the thoughts are purposely disjointed, I had taken to putting a simple + (plus sign) at the end to signal there is more coming. I know of several players who do that already and maybe it would set a standard that might solve some of the things aforementioned.

The thing I like about multiple posts in one soliloquy is that they signal pauses (Or taking a breath like one of you asked). Sometimes you can do several run on sentences in a block, or you can break it up. Pauses of that sort, if judicially used can be emotes in themselves. Or .....we can have... too many ellipses... and it looks like a machine gun was taken to the screen.

I know that I got some posts early on when I played about too many internal emotes. I had a lot to learn, even as a former DM (table talk among the party was allowed since we always had new people joining) and my rp was improved from immersion in the crowd and learning on this forum. I personally don't think that a thread that makes some people feel bad about how quickly they are learning the game is as effective as a helping hand or discrete OOC approach; at least there is a conversation going. Since it seems that we have all seen an example of this... well, I won't preach.

Mafia, you made my day!
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Tue May 23, 2017 8:17 pm

Also Mafia, you forgot about Dick, whose only defining characteristic is a "large bulge in the seat of his trousers". XD
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue May 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Snickie wrote:Also Mafia, you forgot about Dick, whose only defining characteristic is a "large bulge in the seat of his trousers". XD

Why is the bulge in the seat? Did he drop a stinky? :D
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Millhouse wrote:
Snickie wrote:Also Mafia, you forgot about Dick, whose only defining characteristic is a "large bulge in the seat of his trousers". XD

Why is the bulge in the seat? Did he drop a stinky? :D

Nah. It's just that big. :lol:
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue May 30, 2017 12:05 am

Copying another character's description, and using it for your own... :x
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Tue May 30, 2017 1:19 pm

Wait, really? :lol: You should be proud! (Or whoever had their character's description stolen should be proud)

I mean, totally ruins immersion, but.
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:54 pm

MattWithoos wrote:Wait, really? :lol: You should be proud! (Or whoever had their character's description stolen should be proud)

I mean, totally ruins immersion, but.

Arval

Postby Arval » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:10 pm

So hey, recently I've been having this kind of debate regarding form matters.

In the English area I play two chars who play in very different enviroments and different forms of spelling, and one of these spelling differences radicates in the way to apply customized descriptions. I notice some prefer to write them with perfect spelling and others with the non-capital letters and the lack of ending stop -or dot, or whatever it is called in English-. I suppose it is a different form of the actions debate, for the matter.

So I want to hear again. To you which one of these feels better? And why?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Omitting the final stop only makes sense when the description only has one sentence. If you have multiple, then you're going to be putting in punctuation to make it readable and with all those periods and commas there, you might as well add the last one too. Also starting lowercase tends to signal that this is not a full sentence, but for example something like "green hair, brown eyes, tall and lanky" as opposed to "He is 6-foot-3 and too thin considering his height. His hair is an unusual shade of green, while his eyes are just plain brown."
Not-so-sad panda
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:25 pm

I haven't done a lot of customization but I tend to do a thing where I start lowercase non-sentence-y, and then if it bleeds over into another sentence I'll add a period (sentence stop) and proper capitalization thereafter.
Poldora

Postby Poldora » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 pm

Ahrta wrote:Texting shorthand.....

R U ok? Y U mad? ......makes me want to reach through the screen and slap the offender
What can be done better? Just don't do it.....just don't, please.

THIS. It takes a few extra seconds, if that, to write 'you' instead of 'u' or 'you're' instead of 'ur'.

I can understand a your/you're issue as it's quite common though I'd rather not have to internally groan but there is no place for texting shorthand in a game that is mostly words.
Snickie

Postby Snickie » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:18 pm

First- and second-person emotes.
Though I sometimes use the former when referring to myself in
an emote in such a way that would be too insignificant to do an entire OOC note for.

But

*scratches my head*

Or Seko's famous and creepy example from another thread:
*he somethings your something and you like it so much you something*
Or slightly less creepy and godmodding version: *he shakes your hand in greeting*
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 am

I use both methods of custom descriptions. Sometimes I don't capitalize the first letter. Sometimes I do. I think most of the standard clothing descriptions (the way it appears while wearing it if you don't describe it manually) begin with lower case, and I think they're all a single sentence without punctuation (ex: brimmed leather hat - a wide-brimmed hat made of tough, dark leather with a glossy surface). Sometimes things I make in game follow that same pattern, sometimes not.
Poldora

Postby Poldora » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:07 pm

Using as an ellipsis in place of a comma, after a conjunctive and instead of a fullstop.

For e.g.:

Hi Mr Smith... can we have a conversation... it’s nothing important but... I need to speak with you...

This can be fixed by utilising the correct grammar.

For e.g.:

Hi Mr Smith, can we have a conversation? It’s nothing important but I need to speak with you.

Just to clarify this is the dictionary definition of an ellipsis (directly from dictionary.com):

the omission from a sentence or other construction of one or more words that would complete or clarify the construction
And/or
the omission of one or more items from a construction in order to avoid repeating the identical or equivalent items that are in a preceding or following construction

Obviously everyone is free to rp in their own way but this one puts me off even speaking to the character unless absolutely necessary because I find myself grinding my teeth IRL.
I’m also sure I commit several faux pas a day.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:10 pm

How do you suggest I ... er, indicate a.. pregnant? pause, if not with an ellipsis?
And at the end of a sentence that hangs as if the tone indicated more could have been been said... :? :?:

I read two drastically different feelings into your example sentences. The one with the ellipsis feels more spaced and thoughtful, the one without feels very precise or clinical. Neither is bad in my eyes, just very different, which with more context could be good or bad.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.

Return to “General Discussion”