Bad Form (Subjective)

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Neva

Re: Bad Form (Subjective)

Postby Neva » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:35 am

Inner monologues.

Are we allowed to ask a player to stop doing this, OOCly?
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:36 pm

This forum has walked the same path before. It reminded me.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25783&hilit=soft+smiles
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Neva

Postby Neva » Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:01 am

I guess we aren't.

*she thinks that it's a bummer to have a psychic character*

What if this loud thinker is a new player and she/he doesn't know how to play? Perhaps then we can guide the player to the light.
Poldora

Postby Poldora » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Neva wrote:I guess we aren't.

*she thinks that it's a bummer to have a psychic character*

What if this loud thinker is a new player and she/he doesn't know how to play? Perhaps then we can guide the player to the light.

If they are new then maybe ooc them this link for info http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Roleplay
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:17 am

It’s not really a case of not knowing how to play, just that the form/style is not considered ideal by most. It would be no different to point that out to them than to point out many of the other things in this thread to whomever is committing them. I just ignore the parts that are TMI in such cases.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:30 pm

Using some unreliable image hosting service for note pictures :x
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:04 pm

Are we supposed to use an image hosting service? The only one I know is Photobucket. It seems reliable. Is it?
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:16 pm

No, you're supposed to upload your image using the Cantr systems :)

There are multiple pic hosting sites that closed down or deleted pics after a few years, which makes notes that use those images break. Recently I've run into quite a few broken maps because the pictures in them had been hosted on Photobucket, among others.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Photobucket won't let you share the images unless you pay a monthly fee now, so all those hosted on it are now broken (except maybe for those who pay the monthly fee; I don't use it enough to warrant paying the fee). That's a fairly recent issue with some of the maps IG.

At one point, there was no Cantr image system, so people had to use those other sites. I'm sure a lot of those images are from that time.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:36 am

I put both my signature and my, whatever you call it...avatar pic on Photobucket just recently without charge. I've had my account for a long time so I don't know if that makes a difference. I rarely use it but I've never lost any images I have stored there.

Also, I put a couple of character pics in the game linking directly to the file on my PC. I didn't see any instructions to do otherwise. I assumed that once it was uploaded, it was saved on the Cantr server. I barely know what I'm talking about so I hope someone enlightens me.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:56 am

You won't lose your photos on Photobucket, and you can still use the site for free. It is reliable in that regard as far as I've ever known. It's just that if you want images to share properly on other websites (by embedding the images), you now have to subscribe to one of their plans now. That's a feature they make you pay for now, and it used to be free. When they changed to that, it broke photos all over the place.

More info here: https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photob ... edded-web/

I've had my Photobucket account for ages and ages (probably since it started), and I had to fix my forum avatar here and even more recently a picture I'd put in game (I don't know why I used Photobucket that time, because the others in that sequence were done through Cantr imaging, so that was weird to find out). I cringe to think of other places I may have embedded photos but have long forgotten.

The Cantr image thing, if you use it to upload the photo and then insert the text it tells you to insert into the note, it does save it somewhere on the server, I imagine. So that's the safest way to do it, because as long as the Cantr server is running, it should be fine and not run into the issues that other sites might cause.

Return to “General Discussion”