Did Discord kill the forum? How do you feel about that?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Re: Did Discord kill the forum? How do you feel about that?

Postby Snickie » Thu May 11, 2017 3:13 am

My only forum job is to slap people on the wrists when they break a rule (and occasionally ban spam bots). :)

I'm with Millhouse on this. I'm not using Discord because IRC works fine enough for me when I can be bothered to use it, and I spend more than enough time on my phone doing random crap as it is.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Thu May 11, 2017 6:26 am

Well, Discord is basically just more advanced irc if you just use it on computer. The mobile app is just extra :P You can even customize it to look like irc so obliviously guys behind it liked irc too.. 8)

I don't know does forum tell anything.. I Played a game with 1 million registered players (Though if we drop inactive ones, real number is much lower but still something like 600k) and their forum was also pretty dead. I just think modern people don't like forums so much anymore and prefer instant messaging things over forums
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu May 11, 2017 1:42 pm

I play another game that still has a pretty active forum. Actually, I can think of another one that also has a fairly well used one, though maybe a bit slower. I think it just depends on the player base and what options are available to them.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
sherman

Postby sherman » Thu May 11, 2017 8:49 pm

Of course it depends, my example just was meant to show that even super big games might have pretty dead forums and that you can't make conclusions from that. I also know many small forums that are quite active but well.. In the end it's up to people
-Erwin Rommel-
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Thu May 11, 2017 11:00 pm

I logged in once, and the mobile layout was hideous.

All the things people are stating it does that IRC doesn't, are just things that the certain mobile apps they were using didn't have. IRCcloud notified and saved chat history, plus allowed syncing over multiple devices and customization. Plus it wasn't laid out like someone drunk designed it lol. When I do IRC mobile anymore, that's my go to.

Anyways I don't think it killed the forum. Maybe for a day or two. It's tinker, shiny, and it'll wear off. Actual non-app discords between members and members vs staff probably did more to create the lull that's been the forums for awhile now, if we're being honest.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
sherman

Postby sherman » Fri May 12, 2017 6:08 am

Everyone got their personal preferences about this :) Some like it and some don't and that's cool
-Erwin Rommel-
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Fri May 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Just to say it explicitly, the IRC and Discord are linked, so if you go to either you'll see conversations from both.
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.

Return to “General Discussion”