Things that make you cringe in Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

ToxikCoffee

Re: Things that make you cringe in Cantr

Postby ToxikCoffee » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:50 pm

miirkaelisaar wrote:It makes me cringe when someone copy pastes my character's description exactly into theirs and then also adds how big "his lower region" is, like it's bad enough my character has a carbon copy now and isn't unique anymore, but they had to sully it too...

I've seen that! I'm sorry that happened!
"My most traumatizing moment was being stuck in a cage without ice cream. Also I eat my hamburgers like I eat my hockey pucks."
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:47 pm

This is something that I find kind of irritating and distracting.

Pretty often I see a character described as "smirking" as in: "That's a nice sweater" *He smirks*. In context, it's pretty clear that the player(s) who use this word think that it just means, "to smile" but that's not what it means.

This is the definition of "to smirk":

A smirk is a specific kind of smile, one that suggests self-satisfaction, smugness, or even pleasure at someone else's unhappiness or misfortune. A smirk implies you think you're better than the person you're smirking at.

Smirk can function as either a noun or a verb: "Wipe that smirk off your face." or "Don't smirk at me!"
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:44 pm

+1. Nobody knows what a smirk is - assholes smirk because they have one up on you.
Naranjita

Postby Naranjita » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:06 pm

:lol: I may be guilty of some random smirks when I began playing in English, but if I read that sentence now I'd think the char doesn't consider the sweater precisely nice... It's more like 'Hey, Sharon, your last face lifting is almost unnoticeable, dear...' *smirks*

Anyways, you have an insane amount of words to describe smiles, and also ways to look. This post was kind of useful.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 pm

Naranjita wrote::lol: I may be guilty of some random smirks when I began playing in English, but if I read that sentence now I'd think the char doesn't consider the sweater precisely nice... It's more like 'Hey, Sharon, your last face lifting is almost unnoticeable, dear...' *smirks*

Anyways, you have an insane amount of words to describe smiles, and also ways to look. This post was kind of useful.
For the life of me, I could not think of an example sentence that couldn't also be delivered with a smirk instead of a smile. It's all in the context, though and that's exactly why it's important to use the right word.
viktor

Postby viktor » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:34 am

hmmm.. biggest cringe is when someone in game uses the time term 'week'
a week being 7 days, a real world earth division of time a set number of days put together part of a month....
it has 0 meaning and/or purpose in the game is purely OOC because nowhere in game have I seen any culture where there is an actual outlined use purpose need or anything of a 'week'

minutes, hours days and years all part of cantr.. ticks happen every hour on a cycle, a day goes by the hours reset.. 20 days go by it is a year, we age a year... so of course these are common understandable and intrinsic time concepts in cantr
the hell does a week serve in cantr? none! I really wish people would stop using the term 'week' without having a real in game regional/cultural calendar with purpose for a 'week' but if they make the week 7 days still... that's just messed up and would still be ultra cringe worthy.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22 am

viktor wrote:hmmm.. biggest cringe is when someone in game uses the time term 'week'
a week being 7 days, a real world earth division of time a set number of days put together part of a month....
it has 0 meaning and/or purpose in the game is purely OOC because nowhere in game have I seen any culture where there is an actual outlined use purpose need or anything of a 'week'

minutes, hours days and years all part of cantr.. ticks happen every hour on a cycle, a day goes by the hours reset.. 20 days go by it is a year, we age a year... so of course these are common understandable and intrinsic time concepts in cantr
the hell does a week serve in cantr? none! I really wish people would stop using the term 'week' without having a real in game regional/cultural calendar with purpose for a 'week' but if they make the week 7 days still... that's just messed up and would still be ultra cringe worthy.

I just had the same experience watching a movie on Starz called Alpha which is about people who lived 20,000 years ago. After the opening sequence there is a card that says, "One week earlier," and I just about lost my mind. They really went to a lot of trouble to make the film authentic seeming and then they do that! Plus, everyone had beautiful white teeth but at least the women weren't wearing makeup or bikinis. Plus the title.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:56 pm

When a character doesn't get enough attention for their drama, so they have their other character show up the moment that one leaves, solely to remind us that their other character needs attention in the most obvious ways possible.not only do you refuse to use the same symbol as everyone else for emotes so I can not ignore that I can see clearly which are your characters, but then you have your character constantly mentioning someone she shouldn't give a crap about, it is SO cringey, it is SO rude and insulting if you think we couldn't tell instantly they're both the same player. Please stop, just separate your characters lives, stop using them to pad each other's relationships, I can't even acknowledge your character and RP right now because it feels like catering to OOC demands of the player and possibly even CRB since you're directly trying to help your own character. Not cool, not going to get my character's attention and pity, which you fully had before you pulled that BS.

(Unrelated but why can't I color my font anymore, is this a new rule all of a sudden? I've used colored font on this forum since 2010, wtf gives?)
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”
ToxikCoffee

Postby ToxikCoffee » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:18 pm

When a character is made named Corona who immediately asks to be locked in a cage and insists on making and giving out surgical masks....

How insensitive can one be to those who died from the virus?! That's not funny.
"My most traumatizing moment was being stuck in a cage without ice cream. Also I eat my hamburgers like I eat my hockey pucks."
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:39 pm

Definitely a CRB.

What would you think when such a character is named Plague?
I think ...

Return to “General Discussion”