Things that make you cringe in Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Re: Things that make you cringe in Cantr

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:13 pm

Neva wrote:I think it's a bad form, imposing a character a physical attribute.

I agree but it has happened. I once also had a bald character, who always wore a hat in public because he was embarrassed about going bald. So then he has sex for the first time and the woman tries to sink her fingers into his hair. Awkward. I don't think she even noticed he was wearing a hat or tried to take it off first. People just make all sorts of assumptions. Of course people should describe their character's physique if it differs from the norm, but sometimes you don't get a convenient moment before someone imposes it on you. Also I seem to remember that players of female sex partners always seem to assume that a male character has a big cock unless it's described at the first moment of revelation. I think it might be because small penises make people think "this is not a man, this is a boy" and it makes the woman feel like they are cradle robbing, even though there are no children in Cantr.
Not-so-sad panda
Meorwen

Postby Meorwen » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:47 pm

Another cringe worthy situation I was asked to post about (I have no idea what place this is about) :

It looks like spawns of a certain city in Treefeather are the most precious ones of Cantr. While it's possible to recruit workers or teammates from the more crowded places many are after getting one of their citizens.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:06 am

Rocky wrote:I think it's pretty common for female chars to be overwhelmingly beautiful or to be completely stipped from any physical atributes. Usually - nothing in between. And, which is is kinda weird, I don't know if it's do popular in english zone too - unpracticaly long hair. Hips, knee lenght... And never braided or styled in any practical way. Like... HOW? It's impossible to live that life, gurl.

The answer is obvious:
Cantr is full of anime characters.

(How do those kunoichi on Naruto fight or do anything with their hair as long as it is and down. Asdfghjkl Kishimoto! At least Sakura realized her hair was a burden and cut it short so it wasn't anymore.)

As for me I tend not to describe my female characters that way unless it's unusual or I really don't want other people superimposing.

One of my character was described as small-breasted. Or maybe that was her hair length. I forget at this point. #sleeper

Chee may or may not have had a sizable chest, I don't remember very well. I remember imagining her that way. But she was also supposed to be the stereotypical attractive blonde ditz. (I abandoned the "ditz" pretty quickly because I couldn't stand it lol. She was one of my first two ever. Get over it.) She only ever had one love interest I think.

Stella was flat and had a barrel chest. This was a skeletal deformity (she was a dwarf, based on my dachshund, who to my knowledge does not have a skeletal deformity, but anyway). I have art of her that depicted her with breasts. Thanks for the art, I appreciate it, but she doesn't have those. lol (I gave up and drew her with them sort of, mostly because I stopped drawing 2D people with no shape to them in fourth grade and I don't remember how to go back to that; also why I don't draw men ever).

Oh here's one! I had one who was skeletally thin. Like literally, she was a walking skinbag of bones, not an ounce of muscle or fat on her. You know what makes up most breast tissue? Fat. So I thought that anyone who bothered would come to the logical conclusion that she too was relatively flat-chested. Not so. And then she ended up in explicit sexual relations lol. I didn't have the heart to remind the other person that they were doin' it with a skeleton. (I still have those turn reports in my email. I cringe every time I think about them. Fortunately they are the only ones.)

I have a female friend who is writing a self-insert fanfic but she's transplanted into a 9 or 10yo girl who hasn't developed yet, and there's a line about how she had been proud of her chest and was a bit sad to be flat again. And I had to cringe, especially in light of that HuffPo article shared on the last page, but. XD

/done
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Anonymous request:

Please stop copy-pasting characters RP
It's creepy
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:30 pm

Alladinsane wrote:Please stop copy-pasting characters RP
It's creepy

Why would anyone do this?!
curious

Postby curious » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:01 pm

raspberrytea wrote:
Alladinsane wrote:Please stop copy-pasting characters RP
It's creepy

Why would anyone do this?!

Because they lack an imagination, have no respect for the people they copy RP from and let's be blunt here... are just crap role players?
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:09 pm

Are the copying emotes? Or speech? Or is it just everying.
Neva

Postby Neva » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 pm

Millhouse wrote:Are the copying emotes? Or speech? Or is it just everything.

I've witnessed both.
Estaar

Postby Estaar » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 am

One way I have for enriching my active vocabulary is to use words I see other players use. Not necessarily with the char that witnessed them, or immediately. But if someone has a way of describing something more fittingly, or in more detail, I may remember the vocabulary they use and use it at some point. Is that what you mean?

I don't do it that often, so I don't think I'm the player who's meant here. But again, deciding between always using the same boring words and occasionally borrowing on from someone else at the risk of making that player feel plagiarized is a hard call.
Stranger in a strange land.
curious

Postby curious » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:45 am

I took the post as people using the RP of others? That's just how I read it.
On Estaar's point... I actually think it can be quite flattering when you see a role play syle that you have used elsewhere in the game but not in a direct plagiarism.
Neva

Postby Neva » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:11 am

These are fictive examples of two dramatic copy-paste cases I've witnessed several times, the emotes and the words have been altered:

IN A LESS CROWDED TOWN:
Air says: "*She enters the town and walks tapping her feet with a syncopated rhythm spinning in a circle clapping her hands* Hello, beautiful faces of the less crowded town, I'm Airconditioner, but you can call me Air, *She lowers her voice mystically* because I'm everywhere even though you can't see me all the time."
Nymphersonator says: "Hello, Air. *She giggles* my name is Nymphersonator."

The first version of the bad form (or plagiarism) I've witnessed:

DAYS AFTER THE ENCOUNTER IN A CROWDED TOWN:
Nymphersonator says: "Hello, beautiful faces of the crowded town, I'm Nymphersonator, but you can call me Air, *she giggles* because I'm everywhere even though you can't see me all the time."

The second version:

AIRCONDITIONER AND NYMPHERSONATOR TRAVEL TOGETHER AND THEY ARRIVE A CROWDED TOWN:
You see Nymphersonator leaving the vehicle entering the crowded town.
You see Airconditioner leaving the vehicle entering the crowded town.
Nymphersonator says: "*She enters the town and walks tapping her feet with a syncopated rhythm spinning in a circle clapping her hands* Hello, my name is Nymphersonator.
Last edited by Neva on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:36 pm

Oh, the character being copied is also being followed? Honestly, I'm jealous; any and every one of my characters, when they were wakeful, would have loved a little nymphersonator of themselves. It'd be a waste now, though; I'm not doing enough to plagiarize.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:41 pm

I have a character who would totally do that - mimic another character to the best of their ability. Probably exaggerated.
Well, if they didn't sleep so much. (I'm sorry!)
Neva

Postby Neva » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:06 am

I was quite active in this thread once, now I felt the need of popping it up once again.

There are two levels of interaction in Cantr, between characters and between players. I think that anything goes when it comes to character-to-character interaction, we as players are not entitled to be responsible from our characters' act (as long as there is consent for explicit or violent scenes). The world isn't as it was before and I also get the cultural differences between players, not just limited with their nationalities or geographical distances, but also determined by the socio-economical status. Still I would expect from players to be more respectful "in-game" player-to-player interaction. If you don't like a player's RP and you don't want to read their (in the meanest way to describe) nonsense please let your character dislike them and stay away from them by making up an IC reason for that, be mean to them so they'll stay away from your character. Ignoring a character by being irresponsive is disrespectful to a real human who has actually something mutual with you, they like to play a game you like to play as well, after all, and there aren't left many of us already.

To sum up, it makes me cringe when a character interacting with another cuts the flow of the story merely because of them finding the other player's RP distasteful or the OOC dislike somehow developed for that player. It makes me cringe because it cripples my RP, I really don't know what to do or how to play that character in such situations.

Their RP might be lousy, maybe terrible or maybe they just don't meet your expectancies from the game, they are still real people behind those characters who write those words.
miirkaelisaar

Postby miirkaelisaar » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:45 pm

It makes me cringe when someone copy pastes my character's description exactly into theirs and then also adds how big "his lower region" is, like it's bad enough my character has a carbon copy now and isn't unique anymore, but they had to sully it too...
“No institution can function smoothly if there is disunity among it's members.”

Return to “General Discussion”