Things that make you cringe in Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

PaintedbyRoses

Re: Things that make you cringe in Cantr

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Fri May 25, 2018 4:08 pm

Neva wrote:There are more female characters played by male players than male characters played by female players. There are such towns, though. I have characters in towns with 13 males and 2 females, with 13 males and 6 females, with 13 males and 8 females. *she considers the number 13 with a spockesquely rising brow and murmurs* Odd.

I knew there was something that seemed odd (and cringe worthy) to me in the female's character descriptions but I couldn't figure it out. It's the descriptions of breasts or "bosoms" (as they are so quaintly called). It always seemed odd to me that so many female character descriptions included breast size and shape and general perkiness. It just never crossed my mind to describe my female character's breasts anymore than I would make a point of describing, for instance, the "crotchtal" area of a male character.

Now, I'm thinking that most of these are female characters played by guys. :roll:
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Fri May 25, 2018 4:46 pm

PaintedbyRoses wrote:I knew there was something that seemed odd (and cringe worthy) to me in the female's character descriptions but I couldn't figure it out. It's the descriptions of breasts or "bosoms" (as they are so quaintly called). It always seemed odd to me that so many female character descriptions included breast size and shape and general perkiness. It just never crossed my mind to describe my female character's breasts anymore than I would make a point of describing, for instance, the "crotchtal" area of a male character.

Now, I'm thinking that most of these are female characters played by guys. :roll:

You are so right. I always assume any female char whose breasts are described must be played by a male. It also reminds me of this: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/women-describing-themselves-the-way-a-male-author-writer-would-twitter_us_5ac524cae4b09ef3b243163f
Even male authors who are otherwise pretty good fail in this regard.
Neva

Postby Neva » Fri May 25, 2018 5:22 pm

PaintedbyRoses wrote:
Neva wrote:There are more female characters played by male players than male characters played by female players. There are such towns, though. I have characters in towns with 13 males and 2 females, with 13 males and 6 females, with 13 males and 8 females. *she considers the number 13 with a spockesquely rising brow and murmurs* Odd.

I knew there was something that seemed odd (and cringe worthy) to me in the female's character descriptions but I couldn't figure it out. It's the descriptions of breasts or "bosoms" (as they are so quaintly called). It always seemed odd to me that so many female character descriptions included breast size and shape and general perkiness. It just never crossed my mind to describe my female character's breasts anymore than I would make a point of describing, for instance, the "crotchtal" area of a male character.

I think it depends on how the player plans to RP the character. The hulks (gigantic male characters with all chiseled features and six packs) seemed to me as if they're shaped on a male player's workbench but there are male characters relatively big played by female players as well.
Last edited by Neva on Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Fri May 25, 2018 7:41 pm

Confirmed. I am a male player that has one female character with overly emphasized female features pretty much as a joke. More or less because of some of the comments in this thread. So at least one of the cringe worthy female descriptions out there is just me goofing off.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Fri May 25, 2018 9:09 pm

That is an awesome article. While I was reading it, though, I was all, "This is going to turn on the guys who read it."

Millhouse wrote:Confirmed. I am a male player that has one female character with overly emphasized female features pretty much as a joke. More or less because of some of the comments in this thread. So at least one of the cringe worthy female descriptions out there is just me goofing off.
Yeah, that's what they all say.

Neva wrote:I think it depends on how the player plans to RP the character. The hulks (gigantic male characters with all chiseled features and six packs) seemed to me as if they're shaped on a male player's workbench but there are male characters relatively big played by female players as well.
You do realize we're talking about describing sexual parts, right?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat May 26, 2018 4:32 pm

sanchez wrote:You are so right. I always assume any female char whose breasts are described must be played by a male.

I once wrote that a female character has B cup breasts, just so that people would know they're not large but also not tiny or flat. Still some random newspawn guy *stared* at them later on. But the problem is if you don't describe the breasts at all, when your character has the first sexual encounter, the partner is likely to describe the breasts for you if you don't get there first. Usually on the large side.
Not-so-sad panda
Neva

Postby Neva » Sat May 26, 2018 9:04 pm

SekoETC wrote:But the problem is if you don't describe the breasts at all, when your character has the first sexual encounter, the partner is likely to describe the breasts for you if you don't get there first. Usually on the large side.

I think it's a bad form, imposing a character a physical attribute.
curious

Postby curious » Sun May 27, 2018 10:13 am

I am male and I only even once made a female character... I seem to recall, she was skinny, flat chested and not particularly pretty.
It didn't matter anyway, as she spawned in a non-english town where any English speakers were sleeping and she eventually walked off and died on the road.
Rocky

Postby Rocky » Sun May 27, 2018 10:15 pm

I think it's pretty common for female chars to be overwhelmingly beautiful or to be completely stipped from any physical atributes. Usually - nothing in between. And, which is is kinda weird, I don't know if it's do popular in english zone too - unpracticaly long hair. Hips, knee lenght... And never braided or styled in any practical way. Like... HOW? It's impossible to live that life, gurl.
Not today, satan.
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Mon May 28, 2018 4:43 am

I think some degree of implausibility/overwhelming beauty is forgivable, because this is a game, and if it's fun for someone to play attractive characters, why not? But when the character has no personality besides being pretty, giggling, smiling, and hitting on every available human around them... that's when I can't deal with it anymore.
Meorwen

Postby Meorwen » Thu May 31, 2018 8:30 am

Okay, this is not from me but from someone else who just wishes to complain in anonymity (I have not even an inkling of an idea who it's about nor have I personally witnessed it):

There's a character who almost copy-pastes another very well-known character's RP. Please stop it, I'm sure it makes the player of the character you are imitating cringe. I wonder why you play this game if you don't have anything to write.
thamior757

Postby thamior757 » Thu May 31, 2018 12:52 pm

Embellished full name signatures on custom item descriptions. Space is already limited enough.

~*Dudeson*~

Now that they know your name without asking about your fine craftsmanship, everyone is sure to seek you out to make a custom gnarly broom for them too.

That's enough characters for another great adjective or something. But this is probably just me.
Circumlocution built under her expectant gaze, her lips ushering a soft sigh. He resigned, face flush. Next up ordered a venti latte.
sky

Postby sky » Thu May 31, 2018 8:28 pm

Meorwen wrote:Okay, this is not from me but from someone else who just wishes to complain in anonymity (I have not even an inkling of an idea who it's about nor have I personally witnessed it):

There's a character who almost copy-pastes another very well-known character's RP. Please stop it, I'm sure it makes the player of the character you are imitating cringe. I wonder why you play this game if you don't have anything to write.

Seriously? Why would anyone do this or even make it work? :roll:
GoldenApple

Postby GoldenApple » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:47 pm

Meorwen wrote:Okay, this is not from me but from someone else who just wishes to complain in anonymity (I have not even an inkling of an idea who it's about nor have I personally witnessed it):

I've witnessed this. I cringed also.
Rocky

Postby Rocky » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:26 am

Meorwen wrote:There's a character who almost copy-pastes another very well-known character's RP. Please stop it, I'm sure it makes the player of the character you are imitating cringe. I wonder why you play this game if you don't have anything to write.

As someone once said: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... :lol:
Not today, satan.

Return to “General Discussion”