Things that make you cringe in Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

raspberrytea

Re: Things that make you cringe in Cantr

Postby raspberrytea » Wed May 16, 2018 3:32 am

Akulli wrote:... I guess I'm just the sort of person who likes for her characters to be with someone I've been roleplaying with for awhile so I know my characters enjoy their company...

...They'll take whatever they can get from their partner, but they don't put in any effort besides romancing someone. And I sort of feel bad for their partner, because the girl's don't seem to like them for who they are, but because they seem willing. They could be replaced with anyone else and the girl wouldn't notice or care.

This too! I play a lot of male characters and some of them get women practically throwing themselves in their direction without any set up or "real" interaction. :( Let my characters even have the chance to fall for yours! The chances of it are high if you're fun to roleplay with! As a player I'll totally find excuses in my character's personalities and lives to fit you in! But there needs to be something there first.
GoldenApple

Postby GoldenApple » Wed May 16, 2018 10:07 am

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:
Akulli wrote:
raspberrytea wrote:All the well-proportioned ladies with moderate but attractive bosoms, luscious lips, perfect heights, neat waists, attractive smiles, glittering eyes, and silky smooth locks of velvety hair.

I can't. I really can't. THERE ARE SO MANY.

On another note, and I know this is just people's personal style of roleplay and to each their own and all, but... lately I've noticed a lot of girls spawning in and the first thing they do is target the first awake male and flirt with him. If that doesn't work, they go for the first willing guy that's readily available. And okay, I get that sometimes it's fun to roleplay with a romantic partner, but at the same time I guess I'm just the sort of person who likes for her characters to be with someone I've been roleplaying with for awhile so I know my characters enjoy their company. (Also, I'm a bit of a literature snob and I think decent grammar and full sentences are more attractive... it's a fault of mine, and I know I tend to view shorthand writing a bit critically)

What I'm getting at I guess is that these characters don't tend to be very ambitious on their own. They'll take whatever they can get from their partner, but they don't put in any effort besides romancing someone. And I sort of feel bad for their partner, because the girl's don't seem to like them for who they are, but because they seem willing. They could be replaced with anyone else and the girl wouldn't notice or care. If that makes sense...

It makes a lot of sense.. no one likes to feel like they just fill a hole or checks a requirement for someone else's life. It's kind of sad to see that be the immediate focus for so many. I've noticed some guys tend to be a bit the same way or don't know how to let go of a relationship if the girl wants to end it (no matter whether she ignores them or tells them to f--- off or what), and that gets old, too (newsflash: it’s not romantic, it’s crappy and abusive behavior). Then there's also the flip side of that where the girls refuse to pay attention to the signs that someone's not interested. I get that happens in RL, too, but the frequency is kind of sad and overdone. There are so many kinds of fun relationships to play besides just romantic ones.

This always makes me cringe, especially when the person behind the player spawns characters and you can tell it's the same person because they immediately start trying to get into a relationship or they believe it's a relationship just because someone flirts with them and then get pissy when that's not the case and it ends up in drama for innocent bystanders.

Another peeve, people who try to shift the way a town may have been rping before they arrived instead of accepting that is the way the people are. Just leave it alone. One of the best rp I've had in this game was playing with a town who chose to be more primitive even though they could've easily gotten all the iron, steel, silk whatever but it can be boring being like everyone else. Just respect other people's choice of play especially if it's hurting nothing but your giant ego.
Neva

Postby Neva » Thu May 17, 2018 12:43 am

GoldenApple wrote:This always makes me cringe, especially when the person behind the player spawns characters and you can tell it's the same person because they immediately start trying to get into a relationship or they believe it's a relationship just because someone flirts with them and then get pissy when that's not the case and it ends up in drama for innocent bystanders.

Another peeve, people who try to shift the way a town may have been rping before they arrived instead of accepting that is the way the people are. Just leave it alone. One of the best rp I've had in this game was playing with a town who chose to be more primitive even though they could've easily gotten all the iron, steel, silk whatever but it can be boring being like everyone else. Just respect other people's choice of play especially if it's hurting nothing but your giant ego.

They don't belong to a single player, there are 4 players who play the same archetype with 15 characters for each. That's why they're everywhere.
GoldenApple

Postby GoldenApple » Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 am

Neva wrote:
GoldenApple wrote:This always makes me cringe, especially when the person behind the player spawns characters and you can tell it's the same person because they immediately start trying to get into a relationship or they believe it's a relationship just because someone flirts with them and then get pissy when that's not the case and it ends up in drama for innocent bystanders.

They don't belong to a single player, there are 4 players who play the same archetype with 15 characters for each. That's why they're everywhere.

Yikes, are you serious? That's even worse. But would make sense why I keep running into them. :/
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Wed May 23, 2018 5:53 am

Are there about an equal number of female characters as male? I don't think I've actually seen any towns with more men than women, and I'm starting to think that this is why it feels like the cookie-cutter-sexy-ladies are everywhere.
Neva

Postby Neva » Wed May 23, 2018 7:43 am

There are more female characters played by male players than male characters played by female players. There are such towns, though. I have characters in towns with 13 males and 2 females, with 13 males and 6 females, with 13 males and 8 females. *she considers the number 13 with a spockesquely rising brow and murmurs* Odd.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed May 23, 2018 4:00 pm

Neva wrote:*she considers the number 13 with a spockesquely rising brow and murmurs*

That is... highly ilogical.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Wed May 23, 2018 7:37 pm

Neva wrote:There are more female characters played by male players than male characters played by female players. There are such towns, though. I have characters in towns with 13 males and 2 females, with 13 males and 6 females, with 13 males and 8 females. *she considers the number 13 with a spockesquely rising brow and murmurs* Odd.

That really surprises me. I've never seen a town with more male than female characters and often the males are basically on life support, kept alive just for the possibility of newspawns. I think that more males tend to live in the bigger towns.

I have 5 characters and here are their F/M stats:

F/M
1/0 (She's traveling through abandoned towns now but used to live in a town that was about even with males and females)
2/0
1/0 (Settled down to live alone in her own town but hoping someone will join her someday)
6/1 (Other males supposedly live there but have never been there in my character's lifetime)
4/4 (My only male character, the other three males never wake)
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Wed May 23, 2018 8:04 pm

PaintedbyRoses wrote:F/M
1/0 (She's traveling through abandoned towns now but used to live in a town that was about even with males and females)
2/0
1/0 (Settled down to live alone in her own town but hoping someone will join her someday)
6/1 (Other males supposedly live there but have never been there in my character's lifetime)

The most shocking thing to me here is the tiny size of those towns!! Wow. The smallest place I have a character in has 9 people total.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Wed May 23, 2018 8:26 pm

raspberrytea wrote:
PaintedbyRoses wrote:F/M
2/0

The most shocking thing to me here is the tiny size of those towns!! Wow. The smallest place I have a character in has 9 people total.

I only had one character who was spawned in a big town (one of the busiest and noisiest) and she hated it so moved to a middle-sized town and still felt ignored so moved to a small town. Everybody else was spawned in the wastelands and went looking for something better but, so far, haven't really found it.

Fortunately, I'm the kind of person who loves exploring abandoned buildings and such so I, personally, don't mind it but my chars are very lonely. If other new players had a similar experience to mine, I can see why they would quit.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Wed May 23, 2018 8:56 pm

World is really filled with small towns or completely abandoned. There's some really big but in reality I think most common size is 4-5
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
curious

Postby curious » Wed May 23, 2018 10:23 pm

sherman wrote:World is really filled with small towns or completely abandoned. There's some really big but in reality I think most common size is 4-5

People seem less ingratiating and/or less likely to be 'attention whores' in small towns. Small towns can be quiet but much more realistic to play a character in.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Wed May 23, 2018 10:32 pm

curious wrote:
sherman wrote:World is really filled with small towns or completely abandoned. There's some really big but in reality I think most common size is 4-5

People seem less ingratiating and/or less likely to be 'attention whores' in small towns. Small towns can be quiet but much more realistic to play a character in.

Yes. So true.
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Thu May 24, 2018 12:28 am

curious wrote:

What would you define as an 'attention whore' character?
curious

Postby curious » Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 am

raspberrytea wrote:
curious wrote:

What would you define as an 'attention whore' character?

My own definition would be someone (a character) who is simply attention seeking. It's a part of the ingratiating thing. I think I referred to in the past as 'ball-washing'... giving feint praise to get it.
My other definition would also be a player who does the same, maybe with a little OOC desire to be popular in the game.

Now clearly, all I have for this is anecdotal evidence so I am not stating a 'proof' here... just an opinion and it does make me cringe.

Return to “General Discussion”