Things that make you cringe in Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Neva

Re: Things that make you cringe in Cantr

Postby Neva » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Are there so many hypocrites and sycophants in real life?

I might be a real life hermit, but the Cantrian hypocrisy makes me cringe.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Neva wrote:Are there so many hypocrites and sycophants in real life?

I might be a real life hermit, but the Cantrian hypocrisy makes me cringe.

No... I just think a lot of people forgot what their characters said or believed yesterday. :roll:
SleethUzama

Postby SleethUzama » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Over generalized populations of young people.

If we're all being honest, it's rare that someone in their twenties actually makes it to their thirties. I can't tell you the number of times over the years someone has said to anyone even a little younger along the lines of "You're in your twenties, you don't know what your talking about. You don't get any opinion."

Between twenty and twenty-one in any active town, a newspawn becomes an intricate and valuable member of the world. Very, very many don't bother to play for 20 days. Seeing them discouraged for having opinions and even yelled at for it makes me cringe as it essentially says (to my perspective.) "Shut up, listen, and work for ten years to be a person."

I experimented with this cringey concept a few years ago (and still am today.) With mixed results. Someone who just quietly works for ten years is oddly respected by these people as a member of the community according to current results.

I've said this before but I'm mostly around the forum to help with keeping new players in the game instead of sleeping after day one until they die. This type of negative reinforcement is a problem I've seen in eleven different cases over the past couple of years, once being to myself.

Those ten other people could've had fifteen characters each, that is 150 people that could've been in the world today had they been encouraged and had fun in the world. I can't say for sure that it was the reason they left, but it certainly wasn't a reason to stick around.

The thought of how many people we've really lost when someone can't get their characters to take off makes me cringe.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:26 pm

SleethUzama wrote:Over generalized populations of young people.

If we're all being honest, it's rare that someone in their twenties actually makes it to their thirties. I can't tell you the number of times over the years someone has said to anyone even a little younger along the lines of "You're in your twenties, you don't know what your talking about. You don't get any opinion."

Between twenty and twenty-one in any active town, a newspawn becomes an intricate and valuable member of the world. Very, very many don't bother to play for 20 days. Seeing them discouraged for having opinions and even yelled at for it makes me cringe as it essentially says (to my perspective.) "Shut up, listen, and work for ten years to be a person."

I experimented with this cringey concept a few years ago (and still am today.) With mixed results. Someone who just quietly works for ten years is oddly respected by these people as a member of the community according to current results.

I've said this before but I'm mostly around the forum to help with keeping new players in the game instead of sleeping after day one until they die. This type of negative reinforcement is a problem I've seen in eleven different cases over the past couple of years, once being to myself.

Those ten other people could've had fifteen characters each, that is 150 people that could've been in the world today had they been encouraged and had fun in the world. I can't say for sure that it was the reason they left, but it certainly wasn't a reason to stick around.

The thought of how many people we've really lost when someone can't get their characters to take off makes me cringe.

All this is so true. I've been on both sides- I had characters in their forties before I took an extended break from the game. And now, getting back into the game and starting over from scratch, a lot of my characters are on the receiving end of the kind of treatment you're talking about.

Admittedly, some places are better than others. My youngest character actually recently got a bunch of stuff just for being awake and active, and showing ambition.

But on the other hand, at least one of my other characters was looked down on and condescended to because they're young.

I personally do try to interact with new characters as much as possible and offer them opportunities for roleplay. It's just a shame that more people don't try to do that. A lot of newspawns do get ignored.
curious

Postby curious » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:05 pm

To be honest..? Things like that don't make me cringe... they make me just want to say... Right... done... had enough... hit the fucking cross now..!
My charcaters are 'immersed'... 'I' really try and get into their heads when they are played (I have six... that's quite enough for me)... sure, I might not type something every time something 'noticeable' happens in-game but they 'do' notice and those in a position to 'value' newspawns do so.

What does make me cringe is when my characters make a big effort to support someone (who may simply be new to the game... they may be simply trying to spawn where they want to be, making the character essentially redundant... whatever the reason) and get NOTHING..!!

It works both ways.
I make a charcater... give them a name and I hit go... see what I get and I damned well play it.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:45 pm

Well, sure. It takes both sides trying.

But there is something frustrating about seeing newspawns be ignored and dismissed- at least for me. Just the other day I saw an older character be actively snarky and condescending to someone who was clearly new to the game.
curious

Postby curious » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:58 pm

cutecuddlydirewolf wrote:Well, sure. It takes both sides trying.

But there is something frustrating about seeing newspawns be ignored and dismissed- at least for me. Just the other day I saw an older character be actively snarky and condescending to someone who was clearly new to the game.

Oh... I don't disagree. It's horrible to watch and I don't understand people's motives for doing so, especially when they can be so active with other characters... it just strikes me as cliquish.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:03 pm

curious wrote:

Oh... I don't disagree. It's horrible to watch and I don't understand people's motives for doing so, especially when they can be so active with other characters... it just strikes me as cliquish.

Oh, most definitely. From my experience, cliques have always been a pretty big problem in the game. People go into their groups and whisper incessantly, sometimes even to the point of ignoring others. I know a character who almost never speaks, except to whisper to his lover. It actually annoys me quite a bit, especially since my character has tried to say hi, and has been ignored every time.

It isn't hard to try and be inclusive with your roleplay. But it seems like some people just aren't even willing to try.
curious

Postby curious » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:55 pm

cutecuddlydirewolf wrote:
curious wrote:

Oh, most definitely. From my experience, cliques have always been a pretty big problem in the game. People go into their groups and whisper incessantly, sometimes even to the point of ignoring others. I know a character who almost never speaks, except to whisper to his lover. It actually annoys me quite a bit, especially since my character has tried to say hi, and has been ignored every time.

It isn't hard to try and be inclusive with your roleplay. But it seems like some people just aren't even willing to try.

Hmm... I hope that's not me :?
I have a char in a place that is about 80% whispers, and my char whispers a lot too (often though with good reason) but I don't think they have actively ignored anyone.
The whispering cliques don't bother me... the ones where people are 'awake' but only 'speak' when their 'friends' wake... they do but at the same time... it's an acceptable IC attribute/experience... they just shouldn't get shitty when people stop engaging with them.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:36 am

All these sound like perfectly acceptable behaviour - as long as it is consistent in-character and not based on which players are online :-)

I actually think there is too much public chatter ;-) ...
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:43 pm

Well, it's problem for keeping new players. If everyone whispers they can't join in. And that's not helping to keep them in game..
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Telefon

Postby Telefon » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:24 pm

Generally speaking, old players don't help to keep new players to the game.
"[...] I tylko fotel MG stoi boleśnie pusty..."
"Weźmiecie go i wyhodujecie sobie drugiego Raynusa."
"żartuję, nie ma w Cantr trudnych misji, nic się nie chce i nic się nie da"
raspberrytea

Postby raspberrytea » Tue May 15, 2018 10:05 pm

All the well-proportioned ladies with moderate but attractive bosoms, luscious lips, perfect heights, neat waists, attractive smiles, glittering eyes, and silky smooth locks of velvety hair.

I can't. I really can't. THERE ARE SO MANY.
Akulli

Postby Akulli » Wed May 16, 2018 2:00 am

raspberrytea wrote:All the well-proportioned ladies with moderate but attractive bosoms, luscious lips, perfect heights, neat waists, attractive smiles, glittering eyes, and silky smooth locks of velvety hair.

On another note, and I know this is just people's personal style of roleplay and to each their own and all, but... lately I've noticed a lot of girls spawning in and the first thing they do is target the first awake male and flirt with him. If that doesn't work, they go for the first willing guy that's readily available. And okay, I get that sometimes it's fun to roleplay with a romantic partner, but at the same time I guess I'm just the sort of person who likes for her characters to be with someone I've been roleplaying with for awhile so I know my characters enjoy their company. (Also, I'm a bit of a literature snob and I think decent grammar and full sentences are more attractive... it's a fault of mine, and I know I tend to view shorthand writing a bit critically)

What I'm getting at I guess is that these characters don't tend to be very ambitious on their own. They'll take whatever they can get from their partner, but they don't put in any effort besides romancing someone. And I sort of feel bad for their partner, because the girl's don't seem to like them for who they are, but because they seem willing. They could be replaced with anyone else and the girl wouldn't notice or care. If that makes sense...
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 am

Akulli wrote:
raspberrytea wrote:All the well-proportioned ladies with moderate but attractive bosoms, luscious lips, perfect heights, neat waists, attractive smiles, glittering eyes, and silky smooth locks of velvety hair.

On another note, and I know this is just people's personal style of roleplay and to each their own and all, but... lately I've noticed a lot of girls spawning in and the first thing they do is target the first awake male and flirt with him. If that doesn't work, they go for the first willing guy that's readily available. And okay, I get that sometimes it's fun to roleplay with a romantic partner, but at the same time I guess I'm just the sort of person who likes for her characters to be with someone I've been roleplaying with for awhile so I know my characters enjoy their company. (Also, I'm a bit of a literature snob and I think decent grammar and full sentences are more attractive... it's a fault of mine, and I know I tend to view shorthand writing a bit critically)

What I'm getting at I guess is that these characters don't tend to be very ambitious on their own. They'll take whatever they can get from their partner, but they don't put in any effort besides romancing someone. And I sort of feel bad for their partner, because the girl's don't seem to like them for who they are, but because they seem willing. They could be replaced with anyone else and the girl wouldn't notice or care. If that makes sense...

It makes a lot of sense.. no one likes to feel like they just fill a hole or checks a requirement for someone else's life. It's kind of sad to see that be the immediate focus for so many. I've noticed some guys tend to be a bit the same way or don't know how to let go of a relationship if the girl wants to end it (no matter whether she ignores them or tells them to f--- off or what), and that gets old, too (newsflash: it’s not romantic, it’s crappy and abusive behavior). Then there's also the flip side of that where the girls refuse to pay attention to the signs that someone's not interested. I get that happens in RL, too, but the frequency is kind of sad and overdone. There are so many kinds of fun relationships to play besides just romantic ones.
Last edited by the_antisocial_hermit on Wed May 16, 2018 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!

Return to “General Discussion”