Things that make you cringe in Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

curious

Re: Things that make you cringe in Cantr

Postby curious » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:50 pm

cutecuddlydirewolf wrote:
Neva wrote:Unelaborated naive characters, who are too naive to see some obvious facts but sharp enough to figure out complex ones.

This is probably just me, but I'm pretty sick of "childlike" characters that are portrayed as being cute and endearing. Realistically, an adult acting like a child wouldn't be cute, it would be very off-putting.

I have seen some good ones... the adult who simply lacks the depth of understanding that their normal adult self might have.
By "pretty sick of" I am assuming you might be referring to the sheer proliferation of them? If so... I am in complete agreement.

Slightly tangential nut not entirely unrelated as a cringe is my absolute frustration, as a player. of characters who don't suffer any such 'intellectual impairment' yet simply lacking the intellectual requirement to maintain a basic story for sheer lack of attention span.

Actually... the more I think about cringes like these... the less appeal the game has overall. I once again find myself struggling with it, and I really haven't been back from a break for that long.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:07 pm

curious wrote:
Neva wrote:Unelaborated naive characters, who are too naive to see some obvious facts but sharp enough to figure out complex ones.

This is probably just me, but I'm pretty sick of "childlike" characters that are portrayed as being cute and endearing. Realistically, an adult acting like a child wouldn't be cute, it would be very off-putting.

I have seen some good ones... the adult who simply lacks the depth of understanding that their normal adult self might have.
By "pretty sick of" I am assuming you might be referring to the sheer proliferation of them? If so... I am in complete agreement.

Slightly tangential nut not entirely unrelated as a cringe is my absolute frustration, as a player. of characters who don't suffer any such 'intellectual impairment' yet simply lacking the intellectual requirement to maintain a basic story for sheer lack of attention span.

Actually... the more I think about cringes like these... the less appeal the game has overall. I once again find myself struggling with it, and I really haven't been back from a break for that long.

Yes, that's more of what I meant. But again, it might just be a personal preference. Considering we don't have "children" in the game, it seems like some people roleplay the next best thing.

And I understand, but don't give up! There's still lots of really good roleplay in the game- you just need to find it. :D Not everything is shallow and petty.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:24 am

"Childlike" characters are something I dislike all around. I have met a very scant few who are worth the effort it takes to type a response to their antics. Most of the time I simply do the...look away and pretend they don't exist thing.
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:38 am

Slowness_Incarnate wrote:"Childlike" characters are something I dislike all around. I have met a very scant few who are worth the effort it takes to type a response to their antics. Most of the time I simply do the...look away and pretend they don't exist thing.

Yeah, I don't like "cutesy" childlike characters, either, but some people do so it's good that they have someone to play with.

I do like characters who are kind of simple and basic though. Maybe they can't communicate well through speech but still manage to interact and role play very effectively in other ways. Shout outs to Ping and Feral!
Neva

Postby Neva » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:29 am

There are childish characters who are naive enough to solve basic problems but not in a mentally challenged way. I like some of them depending how they are played.

Characters who suffer from a short attention span without another co-existing mental issue are appreciated unless it is an excuse of a player who doesn't want to bother to read the whole page. I find it disrespectful because each time the same player's character stroke someone in a whisper I get the notice and take a look to see how they stroke each other. If the player doesn't have time for reading the events in a busy town I think moving the characters to a less populated area would be a wise decision.

The characters need to have an explanation for the acts for themselves, and a reason in a closed circuit mental environment if not in a universal scale. Naive, evil, short time memory-loss sufferer, mean or mentally challenged characters should be played giving hints about their flaws.
curious

Postby curious » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:43 am

Hmm...
I do think there is a danger that we end up playing with the chars we want to on the basis of what our OOC preferences are. Let's not forget that this is meant to be an immersive environment, and we 'play' pretty much everything, even if it's just incidental? This is not Second Life and we should not setle for the type of 'clique' that so frequently exists in role play there (which is, to be honest, mostly just plain shit!)

If I have a char that is generally unresponsive to the type of character that 'I' don't much care for..? I would generally make an effort IC to at least hint at that. And yes... I am course more forgiving in larger busier towns where it can be a challenge just following your own game.

Let's not forget also that Cantr is not 'our' real world' Yeah... we see things don't necessarily make any sense to us (child-lik-ness... impairment etc) but we should play them nonetheless. It is basically abut what my char can make sense of, nit me.. I mean... I made a kebab the other day and oddly... to my surprise it didn't take two days..!

Even players who bleed OOC and IC still have chars 'in-world' and act.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:47 am

I literally treat this as a game. If there is some aspect of it whether it is a character or activity that I find unsavory : I don't bother with it.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:35 am

Slowness_Incarnate wrote:I literally treat this as a game. If there is some aspect of it whether it is a character or activity that I find unsavory : I don't bother with it.

This, pretty much. Though there's been times I haven't been able to resist a little snark in game when something is especially eye-rolling.

*squints hard into the fog trying in vain to read the handwriting on the pointed-to note*
curious

Postby curious » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:03 am

Slowness_Incarnate wrote:I literally treat this as a game. If there is some aspect of it whether it is a character or activity that I find unsavory : I don't bother with it.

So do I.
Do you also ignore a high rent if you land on one in Monopoly?

And yet, I think there are many players who agree with you, that this is how to play it.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:23 am

I partially agree with your view, but at the same time, I don't feel like ignoring things you dislike contributes to roleplay, or even the game as a whole. When I find something unsavory- let's say, bad typing- my characters will see it as the other character spouting gibberish, or mumbling. They won't just dismiss them entirely.
curious

Postby curious » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:27 am

I partially agree with your view, but at the same time, I don't feel like ignoring things you dislike contributes to roleplay, or even the game as a whole. When I find something unsavory- let's say, bad typing- my characters will see it as the other character spouting gibberish, or mumbling. They won't just dismiss them entirely.

^ This.

The only thing I avoid/ignore in-game is OOC stuff... excuses and the like... unnecessary information.
Now, I do get tired of trying to make my characters engage with populations who just seem to clique together and I eventually just stop trying. Not ideal, but it is a behaviour I am guilty of but, it is easily interpreted as an IC situation. I do however, still respond to anything in-game that is played in my own direction, whether the character is good, bad, impaired or otherwise.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:06 pm

curious wrote:

So do I.
Do you also ignore a high rent if you land on one in Monopoly?

And yet, I think there are many players who agree with you, that this is how to play it.

Oh Monopoly is fun, and undoubtedly I have no qualms with losing/playing with whoever or to whomever I am playing with. I find Cantr to be a game in which I spend my free time willingly and to have so little of it I definitely wish to detour away from that which would be deemed wasting said free time. If something is directed toward my character directly they who are unsavory might get a general cold shoulder response, or the nod and smile perhaps, but they won't get anything encouraging of further conversation/antics.
curious

Postby curious » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:40 pm

Fair point.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Haha. I love how you correlate cringe-worthy play styles to landing on a high rent square in Monopoly.
curious

Postby curious » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Millhouse wrote:Haha. I love how you correlate cringe-worthy play styles to landing on a high rent square in Monopoly.

I've always had an problem with thinking in straight lines.
Some characters are more 'Old Kent Road' an some are just right up there with the high maintenance 'Mayfair'
:mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”