Radio NErfing!!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

viktor

Radio NErfing!!

Postby viktor » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:01 pm

SO I just got this message
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pilot (2017-04-09)

Dear Players,

GAB is planning some adjustments to radio networks. Radios have not been serving well the dynamics of a slow paced game, they have shifted focus away from local environments, and they have placed unnecessary pressures on players attempting to keep apart the interests of multiple characters in the same region. For these and other reasons, we will be disabling repeater-repeater transmission, and reducing the base ranges of all units. We understand that these changes will prove inconvenient for some characters, however we'll ask for some patience in making adjustments. We will reconsider any future adjustments only after evaluating effects over some time in multiple regions. In order to allow time to prepare for these changes, we will delay implementation for some days. We also hope to be announcing more new features and game changes soon.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation during implementation of these changes.

Game Administration Board
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i beg, please do not NERF the radio system.. i see an array of problems with nerfing it that WILL lose players!
the radios have been set up and arranged in a way carefully crafted in game for proper coverage, reducing thier ranges will TOAS all networks in play right now.
ALSO this part "we will be disabling repeater-repeater transmission" OMG!!!!!! ARE YOU JOKING! april fools was over a week ago. you WILL cause a LOT mroe problems and serious ones by doing this. you literally destroy 80% of the functionality of the entire impliemtation of radios in the game and it WILL have wide spread detrimental effects. please don't do this and shift all the hard work on to other things that will help the game recover.
for the sake of potnetial years to come of cantr.. please reconsider this nerf. it could be the death blow.
Millhouse

Re: Radio NErfing!!

Postby Millhouse » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Ugh. Yes, please don't. For all that is good and holy :(

Some of us have put a lot of work into creating those repeater networks and keeping them going.
Rebma

Postby Rebma » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Is this a joke? Does GAB actually think this a good idea? Well then, what a thing to come back to.

Edit:maybe I'm just salty because an entire characters life has been built around this. 50 years? Eh.. nevermind her o guess.
kronos wrote:like a nice trim is totally fine. short, neat. I don't want to be fighting through the forests of fangorn and expecting treebeard to come and show me the way in
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:14 pm

I am uncertain how far radios actually reach, so it's hard for me to speculate how the change might affect things. But, it sounds like this means radio messages will only be heard up to a max of...maybe 2?...towns away?
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:15 pm

I posted this is the other thread but since someone made a thread for it.

Ehhh, Im not sure how I feel about this. I am both happy and not happy. I'm tired of all the chatter from island to island, but at the same time I feel like this might hurt movement of players to more active areas. considering how small the player base is. This doesn't say a lot to me because I don't have any idea of the ranges, but I think removing repeater to repeater is excessive. Maybe just reduce the range of the repeaters? I think overall this could hurt gameplay a lot. Just my 2 cents.
viktor

Postby viktor » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:16 pm

I offer an alternative, one that.. in some ways I hate but.. it WILL force activity for those who want to maintain networks..
implement power.
we have lighthouses consume fuel to be lit

why not implement a cheap level of fuel maintenance for anything with a circuit board?
if it's fuelled it works as it currently does.. if it runs out.. well you could do w/e you want. turn it off or shrink it's range down the lowest. but at least the game will not be crushed like total nerfing would do that is proposed
viktor

Postby viktor » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:19 pm

For those wondering and this has been in effect way longer than 4 days.. months years maybe.. neways...
cantr, teregotha, trefeather are all connected to eachother via 1 netork
the kasparov archipalego is connected to itself via it's network
I don't know about other in game networks but those are the two networks I have experienced
this will answer any questions about how far the networks reach.. it takes numerous repeaters to achieve this and even more if you want full coverage
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:23 pm

I also plead to cantr staff, Before implementing a big change like this... I suggest you consult the player base before making a huge change to the game play. Let folks discuss this like in the suggestions thread, that way you can get a lot of suggestion on how you can implement and how the player base might react. I think discussion with your players is a better road.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:24 pm

Is there still the carrier pigeon system in the works? That system, once implemented, would probably prove popular if radios have short reach.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 pm

MonkeyPants4736 wrote:I am uncertain how far radios actually reach, so it's hard for me to speculate how the change might affect things. But, it sounds like this means radio messages will only be heard up to a max of...maybe 2?...towns away?

Repeaters work by relaying messages to all receivers and other repeaters with a range. If another repeater picks it up then it also repeats it. So yes, if repeater to repeater transmission is removed the only receivers within the range will pick it up. It sounds like they want to lower the range as well, so it's possible that some towns will only be able to reach the next town over, or no other towns at all under extreme circumstances (some towns are spaced out a lot and it takes the highest range transmitters to reach another reciever/repeater)
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Definitely sounds more hurtful than helpful. :(
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:34 pm

Haha, man, I feel bad for whoever invested time and resources in the repeater network. "We don't like it, so we are nerfing it to uselessness."

This will make piracy and raiding much easier though. No instantly having your description broadcast across the entire game.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Yeah, I was just thinking how much harder it will be for victims of violence to ask for aid. Also, lately the radios have served the purpose for characters spawning in dead towns to request an active town to receive them. Small/upstart places have been recruiting residents by radio, too.

I guess traveling messengers will become popular.
Meorwen

Postby Meorwen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 pm

I loved the radio system and think it's sad to see it cut down this way. :shock:
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Well, guess my people with radios on Fu are now completely screwed....... medium range just barely reached the next towns and the characters do not have the metals to make a better transmitter ......so yay (not)

Return to “General Discussion”