Radio NErfing!!

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Aduah

Re: Radio NErfing!!

Postby Aduah » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Vanya wrote:I come from Wurm Online.

"You cannot bend reality enough to accomplish this" <<--- Trying to load a cart onto itself. xD
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Aduah wrote:
Vanya wrote:I come from Wurm Online.

"You cannot bend reality enough to accomplish this" <<--- Trying to load a cart onto itself. xD

XDDDDDD
Its a funny game. A cruel, harsh, unforgiving and funny game.
Genie
LO - Turkish/RD - Tailor

Postby Genie » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 pm

I observed only close towns can hear each others and it is almost impossible to communicate even in the same island. In this case I don't know what's the point of still having radios in the game and I still fail to see what kind of good and justice it will bring to Cantr. Maybe someone could explain me better, because I can't understand the benefits and can't help with having a small laugh by remembering the "butter" topic we had long ago. Looks like pizza is way more important than the radios. :roll:
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
Edgar Allan Poe
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:46 pm

I want to spend a minute to say thank you for the radio nerf. I've got one character who's delighted that he can now work inside in peace. I've got a character who'll soon be travelling to meet the people he'd otherwise only know as a voice from a box, and I've got a character can now cause a stir without the entire island finding out with the press of a button.

I already see more characters travelling, which is consuming more fuel and encouraging more trade. I'm seeing new stories unfold and new roleplay opportunities from characters passing through towns they never normally would have if the radio weren't nerfed. I think it won't be long before some start organizing themselves in case of pirate attacks, now that they can't call for help so easily with the press of a button. More vehicle building is already being discussed to allow for people to get around who were previously used to just sitting at the radio. Even steeds are likely to start getting more attention again.

The majority of at least a couple of islands were almost entirely reliant on radio communications for the convenience of doing it endlessly, instantly and for free. I feel like it was ridiculously overpowered, especially in comparison to the rest of the technology available.

It is definitely a shame that some locations may have been in the process of building an entirely new radio network, and some characters are going to suffer quite significant losses, but I personally believe that the radio nerf is a step in a better direction. I feel like radio is now in a more relative line with the rest of our technology. Maybe now, signal fires and great fireworks as flares might become a thing, until the homing pigeons are in place.

Thank you for "breaking" a radio network that for so many years, people have been saying was already broken. I've never been keen on it, and honestly, I'm glad to see this change.
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:05 pm

I have barely seen any reaction to it at all.
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:00 am

Without the radio network it takes time to figure out there is no radio network. Hat's off to the playerbase for RPing a slow discovery process instead of instantly realizing what happened. Way to hold true to the CR. Especially those of us who are really getting shafted by the change.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:24 am

I have no characters who know about the radio nerf, and I have seen no characters who know about it, either.

At this rate, the event in the sky is so far in the past, I don't think any of my characters will connect the two.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:15 am

With radio change at least I have seen the gap between those who are active and those who are less so.. Obliviously this change favored the more active towns :/ The passive ones are going to be run into trouble sooner or later with who knows what consequances
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:35 am

I remember one of the first NERFS was when they got rid of Tea. That set a bad precedent then and I see the tradition continues. There are two competing priorities it seems like with Cantr. One is to have it be a society simulator. The other is to have it be slow paced. The two do not complement each other. I think the time has come to have a serious discussion about what the mission statement is for Cantr.
viktor

Postby viktor » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:14 am

the thing I cannot and will never understand about "this does not serve the purposes of a slow paced game" how? the game is slow enough? sailing for a year to ask what is needed for trade then sailing back a year getting stuff to trade and then sailing back.. where you could previously radio... ridiculous. it is slow enough just from carrying the proper load to begin with the distance and make 1 round trip.

I also want to restate.. that if people beforehand had trouble with too much 'noise' on the radio, the in game and proper solution would have been a new set of repeaters on a different channel instead of a world devastating nerf to the entire system.

could we at least reinstate ONE of the previous statuses of the radios, EITHER go back to the original ranges OR reinstate repeater to repeater transmission

as someone said before it's like the tea nerf.. tea was turned into a completely useless item entirely for a.. I don't know how long of time before it was brought back in just reduced in effectiveness because of how bad it was to nerf it like it previously was.. is this realized yet with regards to the radios?

I read something about pulling together into larger communities..... thing is.. you got a city like Klojt that.. for many people can be very very overwelming... we don't want every city to be a metropolis do we? we want variety in town sizes? we want people to spread at least a little without being completely out of touch? an island can no longer talk to itself let alone it's neighbor which can be said about a great many places in game now.

and reactions? several players have quit either mainly because of the nerf or the nerf being that proverbial straw that broke the camels back. can we fix it somewhat before the ones still teetering on hitting the 'X' decide to go ahead and quit? we cannot afford to lose too many players in the state the game currently is..

I can see it now.... after a real year people build a repeater in every city just so they can attempt to get as much coverage as possible, THEN fuel requirement is implemented and twice as many players quit than did over this current nerf. right changes at wrong time, wrong changes at any time... I don't want to see this game close down due to eventually having less players than there are staff.
witia1

Postby witia1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:03 am

as someone said before it's like the tea nerf.. tea was turned into a completely useless item entirely for a.. I don't know how long of time before it was brought back in just reduced in effectiveness because of how bad it was to nerf it like it previously was.. is this realized yet with regards to the radios?

Tea was brought back with stomach introduction as this mechanic limits it's op effect.

the thing I cannot and will never understand about "this does not serve the purposes of a slow paced game" how? the game is slow enough? sailing for a year to ask what is needed for trade then sailing back a year getting stuff to trade and then sailing back.. where you could previously radio... ridiculous. it is slow enough just from carrying the proper load to begin with the distance and make 1 round trip.

It limits speed of information spreading through world.
I read something about pulling together into larger communities..... thing is.. you got a city like Klojt that.. for many people can be very very overwelming... we don't want every city to be a metropolis do we? we want variety in town sizes? we want people to spread at least a little without being completely out of touch? an island can no longer talk to itself let alone it's neighbor which can be said about a great many places in game now.

Community doesn't equal one city. But rather encouraging to live closer together. Lack of long range radio adds cost to spreading to much, but doesn't means lack of communication at all. Simply now contrarians need new solution for it. Potentially more personal contact than over "this box thing".

While I personally agree it creates quite huge (for some communities to huge) change and not necessary cost outwaight advantages for now but it might generate a bit more life to the game. This change doesn't make radios obsolete like it was with tee nerf. It just changes it's purpose to more local one.
Rest In Pieces.
viktor

Postby viktor » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:12 pm

I also wanted to point out, there is no way the radio network could ever have been global, each island group was under or potentially under it's own radio network, the only case where this might have been OP is in the case of Laika/Fu because it is well over half the world itself, same with the pangea group, so information, contact and such was still just regional, you still would have to sail from kasparov archipalego to fu for contact, same with from cantr/teregotha/treefeather island group to contact something as close as even omeo. the hisland on their own having to sail to contact pangea you get the idea, the networks were already separate, but on a grater scale the nerf itself was too extreme, it was too much of a nerf, at the very least we should have kept the original ranges, it would have not caused so much shock impact, not all the players that quit since would have quit, why? because breaking the repeater networks was ALL that was needed, it really was.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:18 pm

I got the impression from JM's post that this really was less about globalism (for lack of a better term) and more about preventing CRBs. Without the 3 year old post in question, we'll never really know. I think it was a very extreme method to deal with CRBs and someone tried very hard (and successfully) to convince the GAB that it would benefit the playerbase.

I don't foresee any towns just up and moving because the radio is now broken. A select few will end up absorbing the impact, traveling around and spreading news or working trades and everyone else will just continue to play more or less the same way as before the nerf. That's not sustainable. People will inevitably stop doing that, work on some other goal, get distracted, quit playing the game, get murdered, etc. Taking away a game mechanic and putting it on an apathetic playerbase is a pretty big gamble. I hope the decision is reversed or somehow tweaked.

Return to “General Discussion”