How many characters do you (actively) play?

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

8%
11%
11%
4-5
22%
6-7
19%
8-9
8%
10-11
No votes
12-13
3%
14-15
11%
6%

Total votes: 36
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:20 am

Full disclosure: I stole this idea for a poll from GreeK who posted it in the Polish forums. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Re: How many characters do you (actively) play?

Postby Snickie » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:24 am

The number changes with my schedule. For example right now I'd say I'm somewhere between 0 and 1 but when I'm less involved in anime and real life it might go up to 3 or 4 (out of my current 6).
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 am

Yeah, there needs to be two poll questions, at least. I more or less play the influential characters more than the non-influential... I'm more of a simmer than RPer, though I'll never shy from RPing.

The first one would be: How many characters do you have alive right now?

The second one would be: How many characters are you actively playing right now?

A potential third one would be: How many less (or more) would you play if you were in a (very likely) alternate scenario (e.g. back to school, or on holiday, or out of work, or excited to play Cantr again, or taking a semi-break from Cantr).
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:23 pm

12-13 from my 14 characters (one of them Im HEAVYLY desiring something HEAVY falls over his/her/its head).
Consequently, around half of them are ploting like mad spiders, planning their webs to come.
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:58 pm

All my slots are full, I play all my characters. I probably wouldn't have made so many at first if it was a little more active. But now they are made, and they all interact with their communities, and I'd feel bad about killing any of them off. It'd actually be cool if characters had a better chance of spawning in a town that was more active. I'm not talking about the amount of people in the town, but perhaps based on how much they talk. Ah well.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:01 pm

Aduah wrote:It'd actually be cool if characters had a better chance of spawning in a town that was more active. I'm not talking about the amount of people in the town, but perhaps based on how much they talk. Ah well.

That was a suggestion a while back. A lot of discussion in that thread actually.
Neva

Postby Neva » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:20 pm

Millhouse wrote:
Aduah wrote:It'd actually be cool if characters had a better chance of spawning in a town that was more active. I'm not talking about the amount of people in the town, but perhaps based on how much they talk. Ah well.

That was a suggestion a while back. A lot of discussion in that thread actually.

I'm an active player or a cantroholic, but some of my characters are stuck in such places, they don't have a chance to say a word for weeks, because everyone around them are sleeping at that moment. With an implement like that, would these kind of characters of actually active players would have no chance to interact with a newspawn. They should just wait, because the Sleeping Queen their friend, family, partner or lover is and walk to a populated town alone, after The Sleeper dies.

And I think this kind of places could be very good for RP, cause these characters who stuck in a sleeping town have usually good stories to be there. Many players don't just give a chance to them though.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:03 am

If it were based on that some of the biggest towns would get no newspawns for days and days because no one talks for days and days. :D
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:14 am

Exactly :) A big town in a quiet spell would represent some form of temporary stagnation in a society. Those newspawns that didn't go to the big city would be redistributed to places with high activity at that time, even if population was lower. It would reward places that are busy as a ratio of the population with new people. That would nicely reflect how the opportunities created by blossoming RL communities attract migrants in (or encourage reproduction even though reproduction isn't exactly a Cantr thing :P )
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:04 am

Then there would be talking for no good reason at all. I'd rather no one talk unless it improves the silence with something people can respond to. :P
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:10 am

I usually have around 4 or 5 characters played more-or-less actively.

That said, I tend to be at or close to my limit for characters spawned at any given time, due to my (bad?) habit of spawning a character any time I think I have an interesting idea.
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:58 am

Slowness_Incarnate wrote:Then there would be talking for no good reason at all. I'd rather no one talk unless it improves the silence with something people can respond to. :P

I dont think so. Let me put it this way, I had a character in a huuuuuuuuuge community, but anyone hardly talks there. The rate they get newspawns is really crazy. But because the community is very large, but its so quiet newspawns rather quickly fall into silence as well because its hard for newspawns to travel. The stagnation continues. However, There are also small communities or even those who are trying to start new towns that are very active, that dream of getting new spawns, but never get the chance because they only have 1 or 2 people. They might not see a newspawn for 10 YEARS. The MAIN point of this game is roleplaying. So why would someone PRETEND to be active just to get more newspawns that they wont interact with. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I like MonkeyPant's justification. Besides, you shouldn't idly talk to get newspawns just because you know OOC thats how the mechanics work. That's abuse of OOC information.

As to the person who mentioned another thread, I'd like to contribute to that thread instead of mucking up this one, whats it called/link?
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:59 am

And you think people don't feed sleepers now because they KNOW it gets them newspawns to have a lot of people?
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 pm

People will abuse it to get spawns like some already do with sleepers. But there are two reasons why that wouldn't stop the activity based redistribution. For one, a large town with only a few active people cannot override the activity of other places. The worst mechanics abusers can do is slow the flow somewhat. Secondly, anywhere that has someone daily talking pointlessly to increase spawning is still providing some person to engage their newspawns which might help the newspawns from falling into the sleep cycle and get the big town to a legitimately busy level again.
Slowness_Incarnate

Postby Slowness_Incarnate » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:08 pm

It would be a novel idea if it would work, but I think the people who would abuse it are...something I cannot say without getting in trouble. :D

Return to “General Discussion”