Cantrian Sun

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

witia1

Re: Cantrian Sun

Postby witia1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Amd now You've made me curios. How You want to prove it Millhouse :P

In my opinion it's impossible to be proved in game. Also all other shapes too. Flatness can be disproved.
Rest In Pieces.
Tiamo

Postby Tiamo » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:17 pm

The Cantr world cannot have a physically toroid shape, as this would be visible in what you can see when looking around (the visible range would not be a perfect circle). But it is a logical toroid shape, in mathematical terms.

There must be a single sun (the weather reports are talking about 'sunny' weather), that can be seen everywhere on the surface (since there is no night period).
My perception is, that the sun moves horizontally above the (perfectly flat) world's surface, across the world from east to west every day, at a slight angle, so the next day its track will be a little to the north (or south). After one year (20 days) it will have moved all across N/S, starting the same cycle all over.
This doesn't explain, however, why each of the four seasons have a duration of 10 days. Maybe seasons are caused by another phenomenon, not dependant on the position/track of the sun.
I think ...
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:16 pm

witia1 wrote:Amd now You've made me curios. How You want to prove it Millhouse :P

In my opinion it's impossible to be proved in game. Also all other shapes too. Flatness can be disproved.

The Cantr world is a square grid. It's 6000x6000 units, which is measurable with a ship and a sextant (or math if you don't have a sextant).

With a sphere, only longitude lines are constant. Latitude lines get progressively longer as you approach the equator and progressively shorter as you move away from it.
witia1

Postby witia1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Ok, I didn't though about it. Thats nice :)
But I think it is also not how sextant works.
I'm not trained navigator, but from what I understand it should make possible to get your angular position.
So maybe given values are not flat surface grid but angular position.

Sadly that doesn't solve problem, as then ships dont have constant linear speed only angular. So it breaks a bit math. In other hand flat planet breaks physics.
Rest In Pieces.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Sextants display the distance and direction from point on the map and another, and also give relative latitude and longitude. You can extrapolate distances and direction to other points on the map with some additional reference material.

But like you said, if you assume ships always travel at a constant speed (which they do given that weight and rigging factors don't change) then you don't even need a sextant. You just need a straight path in one direction and a straight path in another direction, a point of reference and a way to measure time (which the game also provides).
witia1

Postby witia1 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:17 am

Its not matter of map but matter of distances. It is why you have on real word map angular possition gird non linear distances as linear one would be distorted.
In cantr there is no such effect. So that points in to not curved surface and is quite nice evidance.

Seasons could be explained in manner flatearthers are trying to explain night/day. Sun hangs above flat world.
Its making 80 day journay on round orbit parallel to surface of planet. If it is just above you then it's summer if it is near oposit edge then its winter. World is flat so all time day.
Rest In Pieces.

Return to “General Discussion”