Cantrian Sun

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Vega

Re: Cantrian Sun

Postby Vega » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Mafia Salad wrote:Flat earth with infinite repetition stretching out in every direction. You may think you sailed around the world and arrived back at the same island but you actually arrived at an identical but different one. Infinite suns, each fixed directly above the parallel Cantr Cities.

There is this film, Pleasantville, I think it is (totally recommended) where at some point they are trying to leave the town and each time you reach the end of the road... you appear at the beginning again, as magically transported there. Instead of repetitions, it can be like that....
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:13 pm

:D

I'm now picturing Cantr as existing in a Dyson Cube and the science fiction enthusiast in me has invented a story to go along with it.

Cantr was once home to an advanced civilization, but the planet was orbiting a dying star. In an attempt to save their planet, the civilization built a giant Dyson Cube to surround it and protect it from the radiation if the star. The cube would also doubled as a spacecraft with the goal of taking the planet to a new host star.

They used their advanced technology to attempt to harness the power of the planet's core to power their cube while in the deep space voyage to the new star. But something catastrophic happened and the core imploded obliterating the planet and creating an anomaly at the center of the cube. This anomaly created the new world of Cantr by projecting six duplicate worlds onto the inner walls of the cube. It also created what Cantrians know as the Sun.

Ok, I know I'm a dork.
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Millhouse (Manastorm) gained +5 rep. with Vanya.

I like more the magical / religious explanations, both by self preference for tales and because it allows religions to exist, and such kind of things that are SO much fun.
But I guess this one fits and works for me :p
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:18 pm

I think it still leaves plenty of room for religion. Especially for the Sun worshipers. Or you could see it as God(s) stepping in and giving mankind a second chance at life when it reaches the brink of obliteration.

Mostly it just resolves for me the problems of a square world, Pac-Man physics and an ever-present sun. A lot of other "Cantrianisms" could probably be explained by the anomalous nature of this world, too.
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:40 pm

I like the dyson theory

This also allows for... where the spawns come from... an automated lab somewhere between the "sun" and the surface which teleports the newly grown/hatched/created to the surface..... or perhaps there are ancients still at work there, plying their craft of DNA splicing and dicing....
Vanya

Postby Vanya » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:08 pm

OMG!! omg omg. Suddenly I realize. We are CLONES!! Sterile ones, but clones.

Somewhat like in Saber Marionette J (but there they were clones because of the lack of women...), we are all clones but of 2nd grade. That means our genetical codes are a mix, but all coming from the same bunch of subjects.

Omg!!... Or maybe not. But it had some kind of fun for a moment to remind that old anime :p
Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Now I'm imagining some Asimovian genius planning out a Dyson world to get Cantrians from their dying solar system to their new permanent home. Working out ways to limit technology so they don't all kill themselves off on the centuries long journey.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Hmm, interesting tangent thread here!!!
If I understand from vague reading, our NewSpawn's skills are a mix of the other people in the location.
(Colloquially referred to as "the parents"?)
I'm guessing just received random skillsets, if no "parents" were available... but I'd need to see the newspawn code to know for sure. ...;)

Who were the first "parent" lines, we are all descended from now? Mapping that "family Tree" would be amazing info, but pretty much impossible to trace after this much time has passed...

As for the sun, I like the Dyson imagery as well, but I always just saw it more literally as a Pac-man style "map". How it works is unimportant, because that's how CantReality functions. It's merely the physics on this Green World, and has no direct correlation of our own reality.
Sort of "Flatland" type of perspective... it's a sub-reality beside our current personal "meatspace". That doesn't make it any less REAL for our characters, but does limit the "mapping to our world physics" in my view.

Awesome mental exercise though,to try pondering through this! :D
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:51 pm

You need to bear in mind that skills weren't originally a part of the game. There were thousands of characters when skills were first implemented. Before that, people didn't inherit anything from anybody. Skills were assigned at random. Some people got the short end of the stick.
Not-so-sad panda
Blackdeath

Postby Blackdeath » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:01 pm

SekoETC wrote:You need to bear in mind that skills weren't originally a part of the game. There were thousands of characters when skills were first implemented. Before that, people didn't inherit anything from anybody. Skills were assigned at random. Some people got the short end of the stick.

Way to kill Nate's whim :P
---------------
"Genius has its limitations. Stupidity is not thus handicapped."

1120-7: You are killed by a moose.
1120-7: You see a man in his thirties hurt a moose using a
longbow.
Blackcat

Postby Blackcat » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:30 am

I've always rather liked the multiple suns theory for why there's no "night" (as in a period of darkness) but we still have concepts like days and hours and such. Then again, Asimov's Nightfall has always been a favourite book of mine, so I guess I'm predisposed towards the concept.

Some of the theories above got me thinking, though: what if we're not on a planet at all? What if we're in some kind of artificially-created environment and are in fact the subjects of an ongoing study by an advanced race of beings? It explains the weird map physics - their technology lets them warp space within this environment as they need to - and how people just show up from nowhere, aged 20 and with no memories of a life before that - new test subjects are lab-grown and then teleported into the research environment when they're ready. It would also explain how and why things sometimes change for no readily-apparent reason and why our technology level is so wierd. :lol:
witia1

Postby witia1 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 am

For me, cantrian world is best without nights:
- there is no mechanics or other effects of night so there is nothing lost without it
- even players of one language group can live in different time zones so without arbitrary indicator in game it gets messy
- splitting already 20 day long year for smaller time frames is kinda overkill for me

And about flat world.. Our world also "seems" flat. There are even people trying to prove that o.O.
If sphere is huge enouth vs creature then without some experimental data it is impossible to prove that it's not flat. And as this experiments would be rp only it could prove anything.
Rest In Pieces.
Meorwen

Postby Meorwen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:33 pm

I wonder, if there are no nights, what kind of fireworks do cantrians use?
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:06 pm

It's not hard to prove that the Cantr world is flat, though. If you have a ship and a bit of time you can test it.

My characters don't think it's weird that the World is flat, but there have been times when I've said things in game that don't really make sense with a flat world. It's all good, though. I like that nobody has really figured out the true nature of the game world and it's open to interpretation.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:19 pm

I've always thought that the Cantr world is of a toroid (or donut) shape, and is contained within its sun. It's simply the most logical conclusion one of my characters made from sailing across the entire world in two different directions during constant illumination. :)

Return to “General Discussion”